Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    12 years
    4 delistings
    4,671 days
    100 games this week, 10 with us
    93 Years - Longest wait to get to 100

Congrats Sam Reid.
    Amazing accomplishment, real credit to his character, and persistence

Diagnosed a type 1 diabetic after his second season with us, has had at least 1 shoulder reconstruction and Id dare say many other surgeries

2. Likes Mofra, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

AFL CHAMP’s COVID CHEMO

AFL champion Paul Dimattina has revealed the true extent of heartache he, his family and workers face as the state of Victoria extends lockdown for Covid-19, labelling the dire situation “financial armageddon”.

The publican detailed this week his exclusive South Melbourne establishment, Lamaro’s, is haemorrhaging 28 grand a week, he is in the grips of depression, receiving chemotherapy and his kids haven’t stopped crying as a result of the lockdown.

The high profile ex-footballer has become somewhat of an unofficial spokesman in the media calling out the state government, but never has he been so giving, so raw and so emotional about the challenges he’s faced and is facing.

“This is soul destroying,” the former Richmond and Western Bulldogs’ player said, unable to open his doors to the public.

“So many of these small hospitality venues don’t have that much money and they’re going to cop it like they’ve never copped it before, because there is no Jobkeeper or rent relief.

“It’s financial armageddon for businesses here.

“I’m 28k in the hole, 28 thousand a week. I have my wages, my rent and utilities to pay.

“But the main reason I’m so stressed and depressed is my kids. They balled their eyes out when the government said we are going into another lockdown and not going to school. They literally lost their shit.” the father of three told Sheahan Ink.

Acting Victorian Premier James Merlino announced Thursday the coronavirus was still yet to be contained and Melburnians would face an extension of restrictions.

Dimattina’s son is studying year 12 and loves playing Australia Rules football, he fears the football season will be lost to lockdown again, and his two sisters couldn’t stop crying at the prospect of not going to school, seeing friends or playing sport.

“They’re beside themselves with fear. The kids fear a repeat of last year, but I’m trying to keep them upbeat and positive. Now they are talking about a mental health crisis like you wouldn’t believe.”

Even 131 games of AFL football and a very healthy exercise regimen couldn’t stave off a serious medical condition that almost crippled Dimattina last year.

Facing the prospect of losing his business in 2020 due to the lockdown, his nervous system capitulated under the stress, sending him to hospital, dealing with a neurological condition that affected the nerves in his face, his speech and at times his ability to breathe.

A very emotional appearance on Sky News revealed the severity of Dimattina’s battle.

He is still receiving chemotherapy for the disease.

Doctors are treating him the same way they would a blood cancer patient.

The stress Dimattina revealed is not just contained to his wife, kids and business, but his staff, with many living week to week.

“My casual staff are stuffed. They have rent, have to feed themselves and without money how the hell do they do it?”

“I’m really concerned for their futures, for everybody in hospitality. People will turn to whatever they can to put food on their table so you can pay your rent. For some … this could lead to crime, to selling drugs, to prostitution.”

“I’m not exaggerating, it’s going to get worse and worse,” Dimattina said.

He is also bullish for those uncertain about receiving the Covid vaccine.

“Just get it, people need to get it, people need to get vaccinated. I’ve had the AstraZeneca jab and I haven’t had a blood clot.

“I’m not an anti-vaxxer but if that’s what it’s going to take to so we don’t have to stay home and be locked away, then do it.

“Otherwise we are going to keep getting locked away.”

Dimattina believes the lawmakers are lacking common sense when determining the restrictions for the residents of Victoria.

He cites NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian as a shining light, confining the virus to certain areas by closing down certain suburbs and shires, not locking up the entire state.

“Look after the vulnerable and the elderly, but the rest of us, let us out of the house, lockdowns are not the solution. You’re messing with our lives.

“If I didn’t have three kids, I’d be gone (interstate) in a heart beat”

4. Thanks SquirrelGrip thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Another HUN negative story trying to undermine the Health Authorities.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I would have thought it is the opinion and experience of Dimma through a very tough time. Whether you agree with the measures taken by the State Government or not I think we can all agree the lockdowns have been devastating for many small businesses in particular and will have taken a massive mental toll on many people.

7. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The virus has taken a toll for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I would have thought it is the opinion and experience of Dimma through a very tough time. Whether you agree with the measures taken by the State Government or not I think we can all agree the lockdowns have been devastating for many small businesses in particular and will have taken a massive mental toll on many people.
    It certainly has but they reached out to Dimma for a reason.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course, but that paper has nothing but negativity and never a helpful story.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Nobody takes it seriously. Basically the Völkischer Beobachter with Harvey Norman ads and “sports”.

12. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yawn. The article I just read highlighting how great a job the contract tracers have done with the current outbreak must be a figment of my imagination.

Post Thanks / Like

Yawn. The article I just read highlighting how great a job the contract tracers have done with the current outbreak must be a figment of my imagination.
    They have done an awesome job!

Post Thanks / Like

That's heartless about a man who cares about his family and his staff and all the people he is responsible for.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    That's heartless about a man who cares about his family and his staff and all the people he is responsible for.
    My comment is not about Paul, it is about the HUN

17. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's devastating for businesses, small ones in particular when they can't rely on click and collect or delivery like the big guys can.

Comparing our situation to NSW is unhelpful, but I understand why someone might.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

My comment is not about Paul, it is about the HUN
    He has the right to tell his story on whatever stage he can. It's a real tragedy and his story is relevant to many of us.
    "I'll give him a hug before the first bounce and then I'll run into my pack and give them orders to rip him apart."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelGrip View Post
    He has the right to tell his story on whatever stage he can. It's a real tragedy and his story is relevant to many of us.
    There are many people who have lost jobs, lost business and are suffering financially, but trying to make it political is just not on.

Paul has whinged about the Andrews government for almost a year. Yes I feel sorry for his business, but what can we do?

As I said, I am directing my comments at the HUN who constantly have stories that undermine the health authorities, make everything about politics, spread rumours about how bad Astrazeneca is and are generally not helpful when it comes to the Pandemic.

I hate all the Murdoch Papers and media.

21. Likes Prince Imperial, Dancin' Douggy liked this post