Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Also reporting he split with his wife at her request

Post Thanks / Like

Balwyn are looking at a potentially spectacular fall from grace this season. 23 consecutive finals is a massive streak. There's been reports of personality clashes with coach and players all season and it looks like it's true.

Will they clear out players at the end of the season or is Eade looking at a 1 year stint as coach?

Link to article

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Balwyn are looking at a potentially spectacular fall from grace this season. 23 consecutive finals is a massive streak. There's been reports of personality clashes with coach and players all season and it looks like it's true.

Will they clear out players at the end of the season or is Eade looking at a 1 year stint as coach?

Link to article
    What are the odds on both of those things happening?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What are the odds on both of those things happening?
    Good question. Players turn over a bit in local footy, so you'd think they'd move Eade on, let the players that are going to leave go, try to retain the ones that are wavering, then recruit a new coach and some players and start clean next season.

Personally I think it's a positive that Balwyn has crashed this year, they've been buying success and dominating the competition for 2 decades.

Post Thanks / Like

Next stop for Eade .. Deer park ??
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

If you'd ever need an example of why the salary cap is a good thing in the AFL, it's the EFL.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunate news.

Persistent concussion forces Saint Stevens to retire

St Kilda midfielder Koby Stevens has retired from football, with the 27-year-old unable to overcome his persistent concussion.

Stevens – who hasn’t played since round two - was preparing to tell his teammates on Monday afternoon.

He becomes the latest in a spate of concussion-related retirements.

One of Stevens’ former St Kilda teammates, premiership Swan Sean Dempster, called time on his illustrious career early last year, citing concerns with concussion.

Other players prior to that who have retired early due to concussion include Heritier Lumumba, Jack Fitzpatrick and Justin Clarke.

Another Saint, former No.1 draft pick Paddy McCartin, has also struggled throughout his career following several knocks.

Stevens will finish his career on 91 AFL games, having played for West Coast and the Western Bulldogs prior to joining St Kilda.

It was in the Saints' season-opening game against the Brisbane Lions at Etihad Stadium that Stevens suffered his head clash.

He played six days later against North Melbourne in round two and it wasn’t until the build-up to round three that he told St Kilda officials about his problems.

"I'd just come back into the side, so I obviously didn't want to speak up and we had a pretty big game that Friday against North Melbourne and I just went out and played," Stevens told Fox Footy in May.

"It wasn't until that next week when I was really bad, I felt really ill. It wasn't great, I went into the doctors and [sought] some more advice after that.

"I was pretty good in the early days, but we had a scan result come back that suggested that I did have changes to my brain.

"I was pretty hurt as it was pretty tough to take. I've taken hits, come back from them strong, but to have someone say there's been changes to my brain and they can't really tell you what they are, they're just there, it's tough."

Stevens, who hasn’t been able to train at any level since round two, had also put his university studies on hold while continuing to deal with the lingering effects of his concussion.

Taken at pick 23 by West Coast in the 2009 national draft, Stevens played 11 games for the Eagles before being traded to the Bulldogs.

Stevens flourished at the Bulldogs, playing 63 games and kicking 32 goals, and had his breakout game in round nine of 2013 – ironically against St Kilda – where he had 31 disposals and booted three goals, picking up two Brownlow votes.

Stevens was also unlucky in 2016, the year the Bulldogs stormed to their famous premiership.

He played the first six games of the season, averaging 26 disposals, before being struck down by an abdominal injury that essentially forced him out of the next two months.

He then played a handful of games but struggled to break his way back into the team. He was named as an emergency in round 22, played in round 23 against GWS and was then dropped.

Stevens played in all three finals in the VFL and was a member of Footscray’s premiership team, when they upset the Casey Scorpions.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor fella. I wish him the very best. In a very selfish sense, he was rated just at right time for us. Pretty sure it was Lewis Young we drafted for the pick. Again, wish him the very best.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Always liked Stevo. All the best to him.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

An unhappy coincidence that childhood friends from Bairnsdale Koby Stevens and Clay Smith both forced into early retirement just weeks apart.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Koby. We never had to worry about whether you were committed to the contest.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Thanks Koby. We never had to worry about whether you were committed to the contest.
    It's interesting that Koby went to the Saints for further opportunities as he couldn't get a game with us due to all the inside mids. He would be usedul to us right now

15. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tough luck Koby. Always liked his courage and toughness. Deserved better than this. I hope he has a great future.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

All the best Koby. Played an important part in our 2016 campaign with 12 games. Added to the depth of our midfield. Was thinking about him on the weekend, and wondering if have a big bodied midfield like him is what we need on our list atm? Sadly we traded the wrong player out . Should have kept Koby and delisted HC.

Hrovat could be the one who stays on the AFL list the longest!

Will never forget the night where you pretty much played on one leg ( cant remebr the game exactly) , but pretty much won my admiration that night.