Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Carlton still considering adding Lukas Webb to their list. I wonder if Nick Austin will want to add a player that we delisted
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Carlton still considering adding Lukas Webb to their list. I wonder if Nick Austin will want to add a player that we delisted
    Dumped dog Lukas Webb to train with Carlton to clinch AFL lifeline

Former Western Bulldog Lukas Webb will attempt to shine in Carlton’s practice match games to secure the Blues’ last list spot.

Webb, 23, is auditioning with the Blues after a horror run of injuries, including a fractured neck and leg, put an end to his time at the kennel.

The exciting utility, who has been back in full training at Carlton for several weeks, is considered one of the best players in the VFL.

But there are no guarantees the Blues will take him by the March 15 supplemental selection period deadline, with the club also considering keeping a spot open for a mid-season draft selection.

Webb’s performances in Carlton’s practice match games including a newly-announced bushfire fundraiser against Collingwood on Thursday February 20 at Ikon Park from 4pm could be crucial to his chances.

But his versatility to play in each third of the ground and add some hardness in the forward half, in particular, appeals to the Blues.

Carlton wanted to beef-up its small forward stocks in the trade period but missed out on top target Tom Papley from Sydney Swans.

However, David Teague’s men have been thrilled with Jack Martin’s first pre-season at Ikon Park after landing the talented forward from Gold Coast in the pre-season draft for nothing.

In 2018, Webb rated above average for tackles and pressure acts in his five games.

He has played 24 matches in five seasons and suffered a horrendous fractured neck in July 2018, before snapping his leg at training in May last year.

The Blues will ramp up their intra-club games in coming weeks before taking on Collingwood and then Fremantle (February 29) and Brisbane (March 8) in the pre-season series.

Last year’s mid-season draft pick-up Josh Deluca was training with the Blues before leaving to sign with Box Hill in the VFL.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to Webby, still only 23, so it is all up to him now.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Fletcher Roberts has officially signed with the Essendon VFL side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Fletcher Roberts has officially signed with the Essendon VFL side.
    Not sure why Footscray didn't sign him up.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Not sure why Footscray didn't sign him up.
    He may have thought that his AFL career still had a bit left in it, and wanted to get in front of some fresh eyes.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    He may have thought that his AFL career still had a bit left in it, and wanted to get in front of some fresh eyes.
    Yes good point, plus I guess if you aren't in the seniors, may as well leave.

Post Thanks / Like

The comeback of Liam Jones continues at pace with his addition to Carlton's leadership group.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    As the saying goes you are a long time retired.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    The comeback of Liam Jones continues at pace with his addition to Carlton's leadership group.
    Gotta say, his resurgence is one of the most unlikely stories in footy. Huge props to him for climbing back and to Carlton for finding a role for him.

The fact that we’ve still got a hole in our key defensive stocks when Jones, Roughead, Hamling (and arguably) Adams are all best 22 at other clubs is a bit of a cruel joke.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Gotta say, his resurgence is one of the most unlikely stories in footy. Huge props to him for climbing back and to Carlton for finding a role for him.

The fact that we’ve still got a hole in our key defensive stocks when Jones, Roughead, Hamling (and arguably) Adams are all best 22 at other clubs is a bit of a cruel joke.
    All of them are performing well and despite many doubters I think Roughead has proven he can play as a key defender.
    Roughy also adds a bit of insurance in the ruck for the Pies as well
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    All of them are performing well and despite many doubters I think Roughead has proven he can play as a key defender.
    Roughy also adds a bit of insurance in the ruck for the Pies as well
    Yeah, we definitely have room for him on the list but the fresh start has done him good.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

I have to say that I am pretty happy for Liam and have no resentment at all. I always liked him as a player and I'm happy with Caleb Daniel (I think that he was the player we got with Liam's draft pick) this is one of those rare times where a trade has actually benefited both partys.

Post Thanks / Like

I was not happy at the time that Hamling walked, I personally think it was one of he things that set us back in 2017-the lack of buy in to a premiership team-those guys had achieved something huge and to see Hamling walk out (I know all that stuff about his dad was current but we could have worked a way around that if we had tried hard enough) and then just to give a premiership defender away for a third rounder infuriated me.

We should have held out. Dodoro would have and I bet he would have gotten better compensation than a third rounder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was not happy at the time that Hamling walked, I personally think it was one of he things that set us back in 2017-the lack of buy in to a premiership team-those guys had achieved something huge and to see Hamling walk out (I know all that stuff about his dad was current but we could have worked a way around that if we had tried hard enough) and then just to give a premiership defender away for a third rounder infuriated me.

We should have held out. Dodoro would have and I bet he would have gotten better compensation than a third rounder.
    Yeah, imagine Hamling in our backline. It's like the 2016 finals series opened his eyes to his own potential and he's run with it.