Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere that Willie is Garry's son. And if I recall correctly Garry was killed in an industrial accident at a sawmill back in the 1980s.
    Yeah that's right, must have had Willie pretty young.
    I actually thought Garry was playing reserves with us the year he was killed.
    Sadly we have lost players through accidents a few times , Ron James and Neil Sache come to mind.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Yeah that's right, must have had Willie pretty young.
    I actually thought Garry was playing reserves with us the year he was killed.
    Sadly we have lost players through accidents a few times , Ron James and Neil Sache come to mind.
    Robert Rose was crippled in a car accident and there was the kid who lost an eye in a game in the mid-70s, I can't remember his name but it was an Anglo name. Steven Boyle, that was his name.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Robert Rose was crippled in a car accident and there was the kid who lost an eye in a game in the mid-70s, I can't remember his name but it was an Anglo name. Steven Boyle, that was his name.
    Dirty act by Cowboy Neale with an elbow to the face
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That's Tim Boyle's Dad isn't it?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    That's Tim Boyle's Dad isn't it?
    That’s correct. He is a very quirky and interesting writer, Tim.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Dirty act by Cowboy Neale with an elbow to the face
    Yes I was there that day. Neale was a thug. So brave for Steven Boyle to play again after losing an eye.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yes I was there that day. Neale was a thug. So brave for Steven Boyle to play again after losing an eye.
    I saw that one as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He was a good player too. They wouldn't have sniped him like that if he wasn't.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have posted this before, apologies if I have. It's an article a good friend of mine wrote about Robert Rose.

http://www.footyalmanac.com.au/remembering-robert-rose/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Mixed feelings seeing this article about Shaun Higgins. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...07-p4zk66.html

He seemed like a guy who could never get his body right and whose potential would never be fulfilled. It’s a shame that he never got to his best with us and is only now playing career best footy. Whatever else you could say about him, his ball use and skills would be handy right now. Is it simply luck or is Nth’s injury management superior? They’ve also done remarkably well with Waite.
    I always like Higgins. He probably didn't work hard enough on the chase, but a lot of his mates were the same when he was with us and it was probably more of a club culture issue than an individual one.

Good to see him fulfilling his potential, and I agree, we could definitely use his attributes right now.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Mixed feelings seeing this article about Shaun Higgins. https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...07-p4zk66.html

He seemed like a guy who could never get his body right and whose potential would never be fulfilled. It’s a shame that he never got to his best with us and is only now playing career best footy. Whatever else you could say about him, his ball use and skills would be handy right now. Is it simply luck or is Nth’s injury management superior? They’ve also done remarkably well with Waite.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I always like Higgins. He probably didn't work hard enough on the chase, but a lot of his mates were the same when he was with us and it was probably more of a club culture issue than an individual one.

Good to see him fulfilling his potential, and I agree, we could definitely use his attributes right now.
    North were all over him for pretty much his whole time with us too. One of my North supporting mates said to me after Shaun's first year "we really, really rate Shaun Higgins, what do you blokes reckon you'd trade him for?" I wish we'd done the trade at the time now.

Post Thanks / Like

The rumour is that this is Brian Lake.

Ex AFL star’s brush with Japanese police

A HIGHLY decorated former AFL star is believed to have found himself in hot water at an AFL tournament in Tokyo.

It is understood the player has had an altercation while playing at the tournament and has been involved with law enforcement.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade is yet to replay to queries regarding whether they are giving consular assistance.

The player had been overseas for several months and while in Bali had agreed to represent an Australian side in Tokyo at a local tournament.

There are unconfirmed reports he has been arrested in Tokyo and can be held for several weeks without charge.

Close friends could not confirm the arrest this morning but it is believed his management is aware of the details of his run-in.

Post Thanks / Like

BF rumour file stating it's Lake, belted a cop.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Locked up at the polo, locked up in Tokyo, all after leaving the Bulldogs. What did they do to him at Hawthorn???
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Locked up at the polo, locked up in Tokyo, all after leaving the Bulldogs. What did they do to him at Hawthorn???
    Gave him success. Footballers can handle success.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023