Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I watched some Griffen highlights a bit earlier, his barnstorming runs and kicking long goals really stood out.
    I really enjoyed watching him play for us
    Agree. He was a key contributor and played some big games and bigger finals during our 2005-2010 run. During our poorer years afterwards he carried a lot of load and improved his consistency before his body started to let him down a bit. It was very disappointing when he left, but ended up OK for us and was clearly the right thing for him too.

Post Thanks / Like

He never really fired a shot at GWS. They must be regretting their "recruiting coup". The media like to give GWS a free pass but they were paying Griffen megabucks which has been a contributing factor in a number of gun young players leaving.

It's been a great result for us.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Im torn between saying suck shit and thank you for the flag.
    I'm going to go with suck shit, then erase him from our history books. Darryl Gryphon was the player who performed well for us in those losing finals.

4. Likes chef, Twodogs, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A few ex bulldogs running around last night at the Giants.

Wether we like it or not Griffen is a club champion on the field.

It is also a great reminder that if your best player ups and leaves the world won’t end.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonofScray View Post
    I'm going to go with suck shit, then erase him from our history books. Darryl Gryphon was the player who performed well for us in those losing finals.
    Hey Daryl Griffin always gave 100%, so don’t drag him into this!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There's no premiership without him leaving us.

I thank him for triggering the ultimate cluster *!*!*!*! that resulted in our club drastically changing course, and putting in place what was needed to win the 2016 flag. He will always be a Bulldog hero.
    That has always been my feeling.

His decision that he could not continue with McCartney precipitated everything that led to the 2016 flag.

Thank you Ryan Griffen for the joy you gave as a Bulldog Player and the sacrifice to end the McCartney era.

Also for going off pig shooting so that GWS couldn't do that medical. (allegedly)
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

10. Likes Max469, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's a coward and I'm glad the rest of his career was a total bust. We succeeded in spite of him not because of him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

12. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    He's a coward and I'm glad the rest of his career was a total bust. We succeeded in spite of him not because of him.
    Tend to agree.

Let's not forget that at our most vulnerable moment, instead of showing leadership and unity, he took more money and left a club he was captain of high and dry. You could argue he never should have been captain - but nobody had a gun to his head.

He was a good player for us who offered GWS very little. We ended up big winners out of this deal, especially if Boyd can get going.

Griffen had a good career but his decision undoubtedly tarnishes it. He could - should - have been a game great IMO. He had strength, size, pace and skill but for varying reasons he'll only ever be remembered as a good player.

Good luck to him post footy.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to articles this week reviewing the trade, every single journo said we lost at the time.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I forgive him, he's not the brightest guy and I think he was in a situation he couldn't work his way out of. I was filthy at the time but if he doesn't leave we don't get the flag. He busted a gut on field for us for a decade.
    Maybe if GWS didn't screw up the pick 6 that went along with it I wouldn't be so forgiving.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

16. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    He busted a gut on field for us for a decade. .
    That he did Mofra, and was one of very few shining lights for us in that period. He also put in some very hard yards, particularly in the second quarter, last night. It was a shame a few more of his younger, flashier team mates did not show the same willingness to work as hard.

I too can forgive him leaving, never thought I would. But there you go, the 2016 premiership buried a few demons from the past.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

18. Likes Max469, bornadog, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I know it won't happen, but an Open Mike episode with Griffen about the 2014 season would be pretty interesting stuff.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

The day he walked out was the day he never ever played a game for us. He should never be referred as a Bulldog player IMO. Finished his career at a club no one gives a dam about and won nothing while being there. Perfect way to finish his career.

21. Likes Testekill, Twodogs, SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't share in the animosity anymore. His body was shot, his departure lead to a premiership. While I don't respect how he left I can sympathise with the feeling of having to leave your workplace no matter what.

23. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have very mixed emotions. He was probably my favourite Bulldog in his time at the Kennel. He should never have been made captain, and should never have accepted the role he clearly never wanted. But for a captain (reluctant though he was) to walk out on the club....unforgivable. Unforgivable. Yes, his departure led to us getting Boyd, but still...he bailed on us at our darkest hour. And of all teams, those Plastic Mercenaries. This tainted his status as a Bulldog IMO.

I wish him no harm in his future, but I'm glad his career with them amounted to nothing, and fizzled out last night.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

25. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post