Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,172
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    If it wasn't written by the former captain who walked out on us, that would be a good read. But his words are so hollow and meaningless. I feel like editing it - "The Bulldogs meant everything to me but I walked out on them whilst captain anyway. I'm more important than all of them... you don't do what he did to a club that means something to you...

"I know it seemed on the outside that it was a bit of a weird departure, but hey, captains walk out on their clubs all the time. No big deal"...

I hold grudges, and what he did I cannot forgive. Even knowing what was to follow, I lost all respect for him when he bailed. I wish him no harm, but I am thrilled that his career fizzled out and amounted to nothing.
    I think Ryan’s exit can’t be explained or judged until everything about Macartney’s time there is known. It’s all good to blame Griff, Cooney, Higgins, Lake etc for leaving when we needed them to stay, but they all left cause of the coach (as I understand). So he must’ve been a tough guy to work for. Those that had other options, took them up.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Time has passed, Griff, Coon and Brian gave us many more moments of joy than they did at other clubs. Champion bulldogs all three.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Time has passed, Griff, Coon and Brian gave us many more moments of joy than they did at other clubs. Champion bulldogs all three.
    Harris maybe. Lake is debatable if not outright wrong.

5. Likes N/A, strebla, Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Harris maybe. Lake is debatable if not outright wrong.
    He changed his name before the start of the 2008 season. He was a dual All Australian and arguably our best finals player in 2008-2010. He played comfortably his best football as Lake.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    He changed his name before the start of the 2008 season. He was a dual All Australian and arguably our best finals player in 2008-2010. He played comfortably his best football as Lake.
    Lake and Scarlett were the dominant back men in the competition For a while there, barely a hospital ball would come into our backline with being gobbled up. Even some of his Brian brain fades were worthy of a chuckle. Bloody hurt seeing him with the medals around his neck later.

Post Thanks / Like

I also hold no love for Giffo after what he pulled, but I've been known to hold onto grudges forever.

I didn't expect him to be at the grand final, it would be like going to your ex's wedding and cheering her on, but the fact that he didn't even watch it and it was only by fluke he caught it really shows how much he cared about the club or his 'mates' in it.

No love for him at all, glad the plastics got nowhere and we won it over them in 2016.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vred View Post
    I also hold no love for Giffo after what he pulled, but I've been known to hold onto grudges forever.

I didn't expect him to be at the grand final, it would be like going to your ex's wedding and cheering her on, but the fact that he didn't even watch it and it was only by fluke he caught it really shows how much he cared about the club or his 'mates' in it.

No love for him at all, glad the plastics got nowhere and we won it over them in 2016.
    Basically. We turned Shocktober into a premiership in spite of what he did, not because of what he did. I hate relitigate this as an annual thing. But here goes:

- He voluntarily took the captaincy. There was no gun to his head.
    - BMac was a shit coach and created a shit environment.
    - He was pissed, and said as much to the club bosses.
    - He told them it was fixed with him and he was staying.
    - He goes on holiday, and by chance finds Talia's missing mobile phone which has Leon Cameron's phone number in it.
    - He then drops the bomb, he's walking out of the club.
    - He doesn't at the time say it's for anything too specific, but only nominates one club. Not a refresh of his career at any club. Just GWS.
    - The club is in a dangerous spot off field.
    - Not only is it GWS, he refuses to take a pay cut in the process.
    - GWS offer us bugger all.
    - BT has to come in and clean up his mess and arranges Tom Boyd to strike a blow at their heart then, and in 2016.
    - He heads over to GWS and forgets to bring out medical records and then wants the club to hand them over.
    - He gets his full wage.

Our response after I delivered Boyd, a premiership player was to turn the disaster of Shocktober into a draft success of premiership players. Gryphone>Boyd. Jones>Daniel. Tutt>Cordy. Higgins>Dale/McLean. Cooney>Biggs, Hamilton. Hamling. -- Gryphone gets no special mention. His betrayal lead to a situation that BT, JMac & Dal had to mop up and we did outstandingly.

Now he wants to re-write his legacy. That's fine for him to do, good to luck to him if lots of people believe it. He's still not answering the questions about what happened, and why to the dot points above. I've been watching a fair bit of Richard Nixon post resignation, and it sounds the same to me... Well I'm doing it for the good of the Western Bulldog people who voted me in and have stood by me... What's happened is too complicated and people will think what they want... Well, you see, it's not betrayal if the captain does it... I don't believe his nonsense for a second more than I care to believe Richard Nixon either.

I don't love the guy, I don't hate the guy. Only thanks to the 2016 premiership am I even ok with it. God forbid he was lower and stronger than Clay Smith at the end of the third or got more than 5 kicks that night his name may be a curse word. Sadly he killed his career and he killed a blooming legacy. He just dead to me. This article as it relates to us simply seeks to rewrite history and change the narrative now he's retired. That's his right. It's my right to say I think it's horseshit. If next time he actually says why he did what he did and explain it to us all, then I may come completely around and say that maybe BMac and maybe Garlick hold equal or more responsibility. Until then, enjoy retirement, have a great life with the missus and enjoy all the photos of premiership reunions of Bulldogs players flowing into your Facebook and Insta for all eternity.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Max469, Testekill, Sedat, Axe Man liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Basically. We turned Shocktober into a premiership in spite of what he did, not because of what he did. I hate relitigate this as an annual thing. But here goes:

- He voluntarily took the captaincy. There was no gun to his head.
    - BMac was a shit coach and created a shit environment.
    - He was pissed, and said as much to the club bosses.
    - He told them it was fixed with him and he was staying.
    - He goes on holiday, and by chance finds Talia's missing mobile phone which has Leon Cameron's phone number in it.
    - He then drops the bomb, he's walking out of the club.
    - He doesn't at the time say it's for anything too specific, but only nominates one club. Not a refresh of his career at any club. Just GWS.
    - The club is in a dangerous spot off field.
    - Not only is it GWS, he refuses to take a pay cut in the process.
    - GWS offer us bugger all.
    - BT has to come in and clean up his mess and arranges Tom Boyd to strike a blow at their heart then, and in 2016.
    - He heads over to GWS and forgets to bring out medical records and then wants the club to hand them over.
    - He gets his full wage.

Our response after I delivered Boyd, a premiership player was to turn the disaster of Shocktober into a draft success of premiership players. Gryphone>Boyd. Jones>Daniel. Tutt>Cordy. Higgins>Dale/McLean. Cooney>Biggs, Hamilton. Hamling. -- Gryphone gets no special mention. His betrayal lead to a situation that BT, JMac & Dal had to mop up and we did outstandingly.

Now he wants to re-write his legacy. That's fine for him to do, good to luck to him if lots of people believe it. He's still not answering the questions about what happened, and why to the dot points above. I've been watching a fair bit of Richard Nixon post resignation, and it sounds the same to me... Well I'm doing it for the good of the Western Bulldog people who voted me in and have stood by me... What's happened is too complicated and people will think what they want... Well, you see, it's not betrayal if the captain does it... I don't believe his nonsense for a second more than I care to believe Richard Nixon either.

I don't love the guy, I don't hate the guy. Only thanks to the 2016 premiership am I even ok with it. God forbid he was lower and stronger than Clay Smith at the end of the third or got more than 5 kicks that night his name may be a curse word. Sadly he killed his career and he killed a blooming legacy. He just dead to me. This article as it relates to us simply seeks to rewrite history and change the narrative now he's retired. That's his right. It's my right to say I think it's horseshit. If next time he actually says why he did what he did and explain it to us all, then I may come completely around and say that maybe BMac and maybe Garlick hold equal or more responsibility. Until then, enjoy retirement, have a great life with the missus and enjoy all the photos of premiership reunions of Bulldogs players flowing into your Facebook and Insta for all eternity.
    Couldn't of said it better myself. I also viewed it as an attempt to re-write history, but you'll never get those afternoons of Channel 10 news reports harping on about how the Bulldogs are in trouble again and it's another crisis cause ''everybodies walking'' out of my head.
    "Its always good to win the Ashes test match'' - Libba, AFL Grand Final, 2016

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    That's not really where I'm going with that.

Lake played in 3 Hawthorn premierships. To say he gave us more moments of joy than any other club is, at best, debatable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    That's not really where I'm going with that.

Lake played in 3 Hawthorn premierships. To say he gave us more moments of joy than any other club is, at best, debatable.
    Yes it depends on the way you read it, different perspectives are fine. He played 200 games for us and 50 for them, many more, albeit smaller moments. It doesn’t have to be a debate. I see your perspective and it’s not wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marcov View Post
    Yes it depends on the way you read it, different perspectives are fine. He played 200 games for us and 50 for them, many more, albeit smaller moments. It doesn’t have to be a debate. I see your perspective and it’s not wrong.
    Fair enough

Post Thanks / Like

I no longer hold resentment towards Ryan, more disappointment that his legacy with us is now so tarnished. Funny, my memories of him now are more of him breaking the lines and putting his broken body on the line for us on so many occasions when we were terribly short on talent in his latter years. I'm disappointed that he wasn't there with us in 2016 after leading us through difficult times.

17. Likes N/A, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I no longer hold resentment towards Ryan, more disappointment that his legacy with us is now so tarnished. Funny, my memories of him now are more of him breaking the lines and putting his broken body on the line for us on so many occasions when we were terribly short on talent in his latter years. I'm disappointed that he wasn't there with us in 2016 after leading us through difficult times.
    I thought he made a bad decision but I'll still remember him as that barnstorming player and I'll regarded him a Bulldog great
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

19. Likes Doc26, bornadog, Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As a Club we have had a pathetic history of retaining quality players. Brownlow Medalists who left the Club included Dempsey Templeton Box Hardie Quinlan Cooney and Round and Club Champions in Hawkins Lake and of course Griffen. Griff was our best player before departing for GWS and after 10 years at the WB that with all the financial incentives offered by the AFL that Cameron as its Coach was able to convince him that GWS were potential Premiers and would have used it as a lure to make the move. When compared to Lake going to a strong established Club in Hawthorn, where he was able to play a prominent role in 3 flags. This was in contrast in Griff’s move going to a manufactured Club created by the AFL in GWS, which proved to be a risky move by Ryan Griffen and one that he would have deep regrets.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Shane Loveless has been doing it a bit tough. Great to see his old club lend him a hand:
    Link

22. Likes Twodogs, bulldogtragic, Bulldog Joe liked this post