Thanks Thanks:  370
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I would think most footballers make it through their careers without being injured by a football to the head. Poor Roughy has had it happen to him twice, almost missed a grand final the first time.

Concussed Collingwood defender Jordan Roughead thought he was playing for the Western Bulldogs last week

More has been revealed about the effects of concussion Jordan Roughead suffered after a falcon to the head against Richmond, the Magpies defender believing he was playing for his former club the Bulldogs under Luke Beveridge.

A concussed Jordan Roughead believed he was playing for the Western Bulldogs last Friday night.
    Events in the second quarter bemused Collingwood coaches and staff, who were not aware of Roughead’s situation.

A dazed Roughead had an argument with teammate Brayden Maynard on the ground during the match against Richmond after he fumbled a straightforward handball and Sydney Stack kicked a goal.

When Roughead eventually came to the bench, it’s understood he wondered why there was so much “black and white” at the MCG.
    It’s believed he also said, “what the hell is Bevo doing”, which was a reference to his former coach at the Bulldogs, Luke Beveridge.

A review is expected into the circumstances of Roughead’s concussion and why he remained on the ground in a befuddled state for at least eight minutes.
    The review is a matter of AFL protocol after a concussion.
    Roughead copped a ball to the face in the first quarter and may have suffered a separate knock to the head in the second quarter, before he was ruled out of the game at halftime because of concussion.
    Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley said on AFL360 on Monday that having a runner available might have helped the club detect the concussion earlier.
    “Maybe it would have been something we would have been able to go and check directly (if we had a runner),” Buckley said.

AFL football operation manager Steve Hocking did not advocate the need for greater access for runners.

“They’ve got two doctors and doctors can go on any time they want, they’ve got full access to the ground, as can physios, so there’s plenty of numbers there,” Hocking told the Herald Sun.
    “This is a unique situation.”

Hocking said blame was not being pushed on anyone and a potential review was natural protocol.
    “That will only happen if there’s something significant which has been missed and they’ve (Collingwood) clearly picked it up at the end,” Hocking said.
    “I don’t know if there’s been any contact with Collingwood, but it’s certainly something which is on our radar because we’ve got to take that stuff seriously.”
    Buckley revealed that Roughead’s condition was not picked up until a teammate flagged it with club officials.

Buckley was bemused when Roughead fumbled the handball, leading to the Stack goal.
    And then Maynard said something to Roughead which sparked a minor verbal argument between the pair.

“Brayden Maynard had rotated off and had the conversation and said, ‘go and check out Roughy, because I don’t reckon he’s all there’, and that was seven or eight minutes after (the Stack goal),” Buckley said.
    “That’s when they grabbed him off and did the concussion (test), made it delayed concussion of some sort.
    “I know that a few of our boys had a conversation — there was one bit of play where he (Roughead) got handballed the ball, he fumbled it and then Sydney Stack kicked a goal.
    “The conversation went to Brayden Maynard and he (Roughead) said what happened then and he (Maynard) said, ‘well, you dropped the ball mate and we had a goal kicked against us’ and he (Roughead) goes, ‘I can’t even remember it’.”
    Roughead is listed as a test ahead of this weekend’s game.
    Well that may be, but why would club medicos enter the field if they're unaware there's a problem because runner access is curbed?

And since when is a concussion a "unique" situation? They're routine.

As usual they're caught dealing with the domino effect of arsing about with the game, and as usual their default position is to spin.

Wonder if this prompts a call from the AFLPA.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting to read today that Shane Kersten is set to quit the Dockers after a fractured relationship with Ross Lyon.

Would we be interested in taking this best mate Joel Hamling back into the fold?

Post Thanks / Like

Campbell just got another two years with the Roos, I always liked him but it looks like he will be that player in the reserves who only gets a game due to injuries.
    Bring back the biff

4. Thanks Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Interesting to read today that Shane Kersten is set to quit the Dockers after a fractured relationship with Ross Lyon.

Would we be interested in taking this best mate Joel Hamling back into the fold?
    Would be awesome! I’d give Kerstan a rookie deal just to make it happen.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Oddly enough BMac wanted to recruit Kersten to the dogs. I wonder if anyone at the club sees what BMac saw. Or if BMac puts his name forward at Melbourne.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Oddly enough BMac wanted to recruit Kersten to the dogs. I wonder if anyone at the club sees what BMac saw. Or if BMac puts his name forward at Melbourne.
    He barely gets onto the ground with his injuries. I'd only take him if Hamling came with him.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Science View Post
    Well that may be, but why would club medicos enter the field if they're unaware there's a problem because runner access is curbed?

And since when is a concussion a "unique" situation? They're routine.

As usual they're caught dealing with the domino effect of arsing about with the game, and as usual their default position is to spin.

Wonder if this prompts a call from the AFLPA.
    It makes me wonder why Maynard couldn't just signal to the bench to get over to the injured/affected player.

That it had to wait until Maynard left the field himself is staggering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    It makes me wonder why Maynard couldn't just signal to the bench to get over to the injured/affected player.

That it had to wait until Maynard left the field himself is staggering.
    Now you mention it, even if he yelled at a trainer to go over to him. The trainers have their arm signal language to let the bench know they're coming off right away and even send a doctor out. Perhaps this is a good learning lesson for all clubs.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Now you mention it, even if he yelled at a trainer to go over to him. The trainers have their arm signal language to let the bench know they're coming off right away and even send a doctor out. Perhaps this is a good learning lesson for all clubs.
    I'd like to think there would be a fairly solid "what could we have done better" discussion.

Post Thanks / Like

Dockers utility to quit club after fractured relationship

Interesting the bloke they lured over to help tempt good mate Hamling to follow him was a factor in Neale walking, before walking himself.

You know who'd go alright against Hipwood this weekend? Hamling.

I'm still bitter.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting the bloke they lured over to help tempt good mate Hamling to follow him was a factor in Neale walking, before walking himself. I'd almost be tempted to recruit Kersten purely out of spite, open negotiations with Hamling and then tell him at 1.55 on the final day of trading "bad luck, there is no room left on our list. Sorry about that."

I'm still bitter.
    I am unbelievably bitter about the whole Hamling situation. We bring him in when nobody was interested in him, make him a premiership player (the absolute pinnacle of a player's career) and he rewards us by lining up at the back door and walking at the first opportunity. Unbelievable.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting the bloke they lured over to help tempt good mate Hamling to follow him was a factor in Neale walking, before walking himself.

I'm still bitter.
    Adams, Roughead or Jones too.

Theres a few good former Dog KPDs out there hey.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

I’m not too shattered about losing those guys Chef. Jones as a key defender is spectacular to watch but an emotional roller coaster, Roughead’s form was impossible to predict without the benefit of hindsight, and at the risk of having him destroy us on the weekend Adams has been dreadful when he’s actually gotten on the park this year.

Hamling is still a terrible loss though. Can play on anyone and usually beats them too.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I’m not too shattered about losing those guys Chef. Jones as a key defender is spectacular to watch but an emotional roller coaster, Roughead’s form was impossible to predict without the benefit of hindsight, and at the risk of having him destroy us on the weekend Adams has been dreadful when he’s actually gotten on the park this year.

Hamling is still a terrible loss though. Can play on anyone and usually beats them too.
    Hamling is the one I would love back. He is athletic, takes a good mark and great at spoiling.

Let's make him an offer
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still bitter.
    Perhaps I'm missing something but what did he have to do with Neale leaving? The article says:
    AFL.com.au understands Kersten and Lyon's relationship has been fractured for some months and dates back to a confrontation between the pair following the departure of Lachie Neale to Brisbane.
    Maybe Kersten wasn't happy Ross let Neale leave?