Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I can't split them so I just told both. I'm guessing the "Lindsay Gilbee lived/squatted in our flat for two weeks before we realized" still gets a run at dinner partys these days.

I reckon that when they started to call Callan Ward Cement Head because he ain't the sharpest tool in the shed Lindsay would have done a little air punch to celebrate...
    I thought they called him 'cement head' because he was a human battering ram and was always diving headfirst into packs?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Adelaide Connection View Post
    I thought they called him 'cement head' because he was a human battering ram and was always diving headfirst into packs?
    That's the nice story for public consumption.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

3. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the nice story for public consumption.
    What about the story of him sliding off the roof of his house and how he liked to try and trip over players at training with which the coach wasn’t pleased. ( were they true ?)
    Cement head was a very fitting nickname in the way of his hard football and his stupid antics, pretty sure he has well and truely grown out of it now.
    Much like our Doug he was a cheeky lovable kid.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Did they tell the story about Gilbee moving into the wrong flat in an apartment complex and not realizing for a fortnight until the actual owners turned up and wanted to know why he was in their flat? Or how when he was first drafted his new manager organized a personal appearance and said something like "Oh and by the way the fee will be $250" then after the appearance Lindsay said "Oh I bought my $250, who should I give it to?" "No Lindsay, the idea is THEY will be giving YOU $250"

Lindsay Gilbee is the funniest man alive.
    Thank you so much for sharing that.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

6. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Banking, ballet and back to the ‘burbs: What every delisted and retired AFL player has planned for 2020

WESTERN BULLDOGS

Tom Boyd (retired) – St Kevin’s (VAFA)

Dale Morris (retired) – Development coach at Western Bulldogs (AFL)

Liam Picken (retired) – TBC

Fletcher Roberts (delisted) – TBC, but has been linked to Essendon (VFL)

Lukas Webb (delisted) – TBC, but has been training with Carlton (AFL)

NORTH MELBOURNE

Nathan Hrovat (delisted) – Football operations with North Melbourne (AFL) and set to play with North Melbourne (VFL)

8. Thanks bornadog, GVGjr, azabob, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hrovat will dominate playing VFL level full time. He doesn't have to worry about promotion or being dropped and he can just play.

He will win the Liston trophy. I wonder if they have a market for that this early on?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Hrovat will dominate playing VFL level full time. He doesn't have to worry about promotion or being dropped and he can just play.

He will win the Liston trophy. I wonder if they have a market for that this early on?
    Funny you should say that. Straight after he was told he wasn't going to be offered another contract he did a sit down interview with one of the North media staff for a good ten minutes (actually just under 14 mins) and it was a great open honest chat.

Hrovat mentions that he was often caught between no mans land being first emergency for the seniors and would often miss playing any competitive footy at all and when he did play it was often very last minute and couldn't put his best foot forward due to the lack of regular footy.

It was a really good chat and worth a listen.

For those interested below is the link to the video.

https://www.nmfc.com.au/video/437048...=1566805220001
    More of an In Bruges guy?

11. Thanks bornadog, Templeton31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Funny you should say that. Straight after he was told he wasn't going to be offered another contract he did a sit down interview with one of the North media staff for a good ten minutes (actually just under 14 mins) and it was a great open honest chat.

Hrovat mentions that he was often caught between no mans land being first emergency for the seniors and would often miss playing any competitive footy at all and when he did play it was often very last minute and couldn't put his best foot forward due to the lack of regular footy.

It was a really good chat and worth a listen.

For those interested below is the link to the video.

https://www.nmfc.com.au/video/437048...=1566805220001
    I've seen other interviews where he expresses how grateful he is for the opportunities football has given him, he's 25 with a house and a partner who still gets to play competitive footy on the weekend and spend his time in a club environment he enjoys.

I reckon he's doing well for himself and on top of that he seems like a genuinely likable guy.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I've seen other interviews where he expresses how grateful he is for the opportunities football has given him, he's 25 with a house and a partner who still gets to play competitive footy on the weekend and spend his time in a club environment he enjoys.

I reckon he's doing well for himself and on top of that he seems like a genuinely likable guy.
    Sat at our table one year at the season launch, great guy and was a Captain as well in the TAC days.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I liked him he just had limitations on the field which obviously hasn’t followed him in his future career, good in him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

There's an article on the AFL website about Marcus Adams and one particular part of it caught my attention:

Sitting on a lounge chair in a cafe at Hobart's University of Tasmania, this is when the conversation moves to Adams' meticulous nature.

He likes to dot every 'i' and cross every 't', and you get the sense he's been conscious of what other people have thought in the past.

But not anymore.

"Being drafted at [age] 22, I'd worked and been involved in a company and dealt with other companies and seen how organisations interact," he said.

"I don't think I've come across an organisation where everyone is so accommodating, supportive, enthusiastic about what we're doing.

"I think our club has developed something pretty special.

"That has made it a bit easier to be that meticulous nature, it's supported. I don't feel weird.

"You can feel like an absolute weirdo at times if you're the one guy not drinking or not eating a certain type of food."

Once Adams arrived in Brisbane 15 months ago, it didn't take him long to strike up a friendship with ruckman Stefan Martin.

They're like two peas in a pod in many respects.

Two of the most professional players at the club and two of the deepest thinkers.

The pair often help each other navigate through any setbacks or difficult times, unravelling why they are the way they are.

"Coming here and seeing Stef's respect in the group, I thought "wow, you can be like that and be respected amongst the group".

"Stef and I both take that approach of maximising what we've got. Neither of us starting out at 20 years of age were going to be the guys picked on talent.

"You don’t have to be an outlier, [a] weirdo that's ostracised.

"It's a pretty amazing environment in that regard that everybody's individual differences are respected and supported in the group.

"I can't speak highly enough of the culture that's been developed.

"It's not just changed my views in a footy sense, but a life sense.

"For the most part a lot of people just want to bring other people down rather than lifting themselves and the people around them up.

"The club conforms to you."
    Perhaps I am reading too much into it but is he having a subtle dig at our club? Did he feel ostracised because he was different? There was definitely something that drove him to request a trade even further away from his home in WA, maybe this was it? I find it somewhat difficult to believe though as we seem to have a wide range of personalities, none more different than Libba.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    There's an article on the AFL website about Marcus Adams and one particular part of it caught my attention:

Perhaps I am reading too much into it but is he having a subtle dig at our club? Did he feel ostracised because he was different? There was definitely something that drove him to request a trade even further away from his home in WA, maybe this was it? I find it somewhat difficult to believe though as we seem to have a wide range of personalities, none more different than Libba.
    It's definitely a reference to his time at the Dogs. It's a shame he felt 'ostracised' but my heart can't bleed too much for a guy playing the victim who was also getting paid multiple 6 figures to chase a ball around.

Sounds like he's found a safe space up in Brisbane, good on him.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Some people just don't gel with a particular group. Marcus was one of them. Plenty of other blokes do, including those new to the club (e.g. Suckers)
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Some people just don't gel with a particular group. Marcus was one of them. Plenty of other blokes do, including those new to the club (e.g. Suckers)
    I heard he didn't have any mates at the Dogs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds as if the 'Spec' is harking back to the Jakey-era Dogs when a certain dickhead clique was doing its thing until eventually nipped in the bud. Little bit of fuel for the sledging fire there for any of our blokes so inclined though ...

Hard to harbour much ill will, dude deserves a consistent run at it, I just hope it's punctuated by a succession of our forwards terrorising him.
    BORDERLINE FLYING