Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    maybe you havent seen it but he has been quite outspoken in the past year so he brings along some extra debate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=paul...w=1920&bih=937

Skynews love him.
    That AFL Great - Paul the epidemiologist
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

maybe you havent seen it but he has been quite outspoken in the past year so he brings along some extra debate.

Skynews love him.
    I know he is outspoken about a number of things, but I hadn't seen or heard from him for quite a while. Perhaps because I don't watch Sky News!

3. Thanks Topdog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    I know he is outspoken about a number of things, but I hadn't seen or heard from him for quite a while. Perhaps because I don't watch Sky News!
    That's the optimal state of being

5. Likes Topdog, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Does anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

“BUGGER YOU GUYS”: THE DELISTING THAT CUT SAM REID DEEPEST

It has been a hell of a journey for Sam Reid.

After 12 years and nine months, no less than four delistings, four shoulder reconstructions, countless other injuries, Type 1 diabetes diagnosis and even a retirement, Reid will play his 100th AFL game this weekend.

Initially drafted by the Western Bulldogs in 2007, the GWS defender has had to wait 4,671 days to reach the milestone which is the sixth longest wait in VFL/AFL history and the longest wait in the past 93 years.

His draft was the same as the likes of Patrick Dangerfield (271 games), Trent Cotchin (259) and current teammate Callan Ward who has notched 235 games despite his own injury woes, just to give further context.

When he runs out for the Giants against North Melbourne at Blundstone Arena on Sunday, Reid will finally notch the ton.

It has been a long road, starting at the Bulldogs, ending multiple times at the Giants, before fighting his way back to play in a Grand Final.

Reid says there is one delisting that cut deeper than any other moment throughout his fascinating career.

“The first one when I came up here after I left the Dogs on a three-year contract,” he told SEN’s Bob & Andy.

“Two years in, the club came to me and we obviously had a young list and I’d had another two shoulder reconstructions and hip surgery.

“They just said that my opportunities were limited so could you like to stop your contract a year early, we’ll give you two years to play and coach in the NEAFL, but you obviously won’t be available play senior footy.

“At that stage I was like, ‘bugger you guys, there’s no way I’m doing that. I’m going to come back, I’m going to prove you wrong’.

“It took me a month to decide to take the contract. That one did the cut the deepest, I was only 23 years old. You think you’re in your prime, and you get told that.

“I’d only played 24 games so I hadn’t had a stellar career. I’d had four recos on my shoulders by that stage. It was probably fair that they were saying that, but I did want to give them the finger and go ‘bugger off’.”

Reid also admitted his disappointment which came at the end of last year when he was prematurely axed before being handed a lifeline.

“Last year was the other one. I didn’t have my greatest year last year after playing 26 games in the year that we made the Grand Final,” he added.

“I didn’t get picked for Round 1 off the back of what I thought was a pretty good pre-season. They went for a couple of younger guys.

“I busted my ass in the three-month period where we trained at home by ourselves and got fit as. Then the week before we were due back in the last session I did my calf and was out for 16 weeks.

“So at that stage I thought my career was done, but sort of fought my way back in a really frustrating year. I reckon I got the last contract and I was sitting there going ‘geez…’

“I was 30, I felt really good and I did get back from the injury. I was worried about that and I thought at that stage there was a lot going on with the club with our off-season.

“It does drive me and it’s driven me this year to come back and make sure I have an impact.”

Upon reflection, the Queensland native insists he would not change a thing, especially with how he has dealt with the daily thorn in his side that is diabetes.

“She’s been a 12 years, but I wouldn’t change it to be honest,” he said.

“Everyone’s journey is different and I don’t think you’ll find anyone that will come close to what I’ve dealt with and come through.

“I just try to inspire people, especially people with Type 1 diabetes. People see that as something that will hold a child back or hold parents or anyone back. The way I’ve gone about that and overcome after being diagnosed in 2010 and 11 years still playing, it’s a pretty big achievement.

“Reflecting quickly right now, it is a pretty big deal.

“There’s been numerous times when I never thought I’d get there.”

Reid played 10 games for the Dogs between 2008 and 2011, with this weekend being his 90th for the Giants having first donned the orange and charcoal back in 2012.

8. Thanks Nuggety Back Pocket thanked for this post
    Likes Doc26, The Adelaide Connection liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Skynews love him.
    They adore Trump too.

Post Thanks / Like

Good effort for Reid to reach his 100 games, and a great story in persistence.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Graeme Lowe (ex Bevo right hand man) is on the Carlton external review panel.

He has been sorely missed at the kennel.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

13. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Good effort for Reid to reach his 100 games, and a great story in persistence.
    Yep congratulations to Sam. I've been a huge fan since his first few games at the dogs.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Billy Gowers kicked 8 yesterday for Southport v Brisbane in VFL Comp

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Billy Gowers kicked 8 yesterday for Southport v Brisbane in VFL Comp
    Good one Billy.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

18. Thanks Grantysghost, azabob, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What's a stang?

Post Thanks / Like

Mustang. The logo before Hawks. It’s on the front of their jumper. Little white thing.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

21. Thanks bulldogsthru&thru thanked for this post
    Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy for Fergus. Was sad to see him delisted from Dogs but understand we had to make his list spot available.

23. Likes Testekill, EasternWest liked this post