Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Ryhian Gryphon has made a comeback for Myrtleford, first game in 3 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Tommy looks like his enjoying life post footy.
    Tom spoke at a conference I attended last month. Had a quick chat to him, very friendly bloke and comfortably 2 of me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Tom spoke at a conference I attended last month. Had a quick chat to him, very friendly bloke and comfortably 2 of me.
    If I ever had the chance, he is one player I would unashamedly fan boi over and tell him how thankful I am for all he did for the club (i.e. becoming superhuman at the exact moment we needed it and also exiting gracefully when he knew his time was up)
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

4. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If I ever had the chance, he is one player I would unashamedly fan boi over and tell him how thankful I am for all he did for the club (i.e. becoming superhuman at the exact moment we needed it and also exiting gracefully when he knew his time was up)
    I did that with Clay Smith.

6. Likes azabob, The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.afl.com.au/news/784946/n...it-of-the-year

It was all about Adam Cerra and George Hewett last October, but 15 rounds into 2022, Lewis Young is proving to be an equally valuable acquisition. Carlton’s ‘other’ recruit from last year’s trade period didn’t appear like an automatic selection when the paperwork was lodged. Now it has proven a shrewd piece of business by list manager Nick Austin. First Liam Jones retired, then Carlton lost Mitch McGovern, Oscar McDonald, Jacob Weitering and Caleb Marchbank, as well as mid-season recruit Sam Durdin. Young has played 11 of 14 games in navy blue, holding down a crucial role in a crumbling back six that has been undermanned and undersized for some time. The 23-year-old former Bulldog was important against Fremantle on Saturday and will continue to be the longer this season progresses. - Josh Gabelich

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    https://www.afl.com.au/news/784946/n...it-of-the-year

It was all about Adam Cerra and George Hewett last October, but 15 rounds into 2022, Lewis Young is proving to be an equally valuable acquisition. Carlton’s ‘other’ recruit from last year’s trade period didn’t appear like an automatic selection when the paperwork was lodged. Now it has proven a shrewd piece of business by list manager Nick Austin. First Liam Jones retired, then Carlton lost Mitch McGovern, Oscar McDonald, Jacob Weitering and Caleb Marchbank, as well as mid-season recruit Sam Durdin. Young has played 11 of 14 games in navy blue, holding down a crucial role in a crumbling back six that has been undermanned and undersized for some time. The 23-year-old former Bulldog was important against Fremantle on Saturday and will continue to be the longer this season progresses. - Josh Gabelich
    Given our defensive woes, this is frustrating to read.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Given our defensive woes, this is frustrating to read.
    We messed him around playing him more in positions that didn't quite suit him. He's now been allowed to play in a more natural position and his performances have improved.
    Losing a youngster who hasn't peaked yet is likely to happen when you have selection lotto.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    We messed him around playing him more in positions that didn't quite suit him. He's now been allowed to play in a more natural position and his performances have improved.
    Losing a youngster who hasn't peaked yet is likely to happen when you have selection lotto.
    Agreed but hindsight wasn't required with this one.

Many of us were singing these lyrics last year, especially after his strong performance v Brisbane / average game v GC and getting dropped.

I get there's more to the eye than what we see on a weekend, but clearly we dropped the ball with Young.
    W00F!

11. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I've watched a bit of Carlton this year and Young is still the same guy, just with a new hat. Maybe we missed a trick by not putting a bigger priority on his development in 2018-2019, but in 2022 Gardner is a better player than him and Young still wouldn't be playing for us.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I've watched a bit of Carlton this year and Young is still the same guy, just with a new hat. Maybe we missed a trick by not putting a bigger priority on his development in 2018-2019, but in 2022 Gardner is a better player than him and Young still wouldn't be playing for us.
    I've watched them a few more times this year and I think he has improved. I don't dispute that Gardner has done exceptionally well but I think Keath, Gardner and Young being backed up by O'Brien would have been better for us this year.

Post Thanks / Like

I've watched them a few more times this year and I think he has improved. I don't dispute that Gardner has done exceptionally well but I think Keath, Gardner and Young being backed up by O'Brien would have been better for us this year.
    So you would not have Young as a key defender per se but in O'Brien's more versatille role? I don't think Young has it in him to play on mid-sized and even smaller players as much as O'Brien does.

I was so frustrated by his recruitment but think that O'Brien has defied any expectations we could have placed on him. But then again I'm a lot less pessimistic about our back 6 than everyone else on here it seems.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

16. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    So you would not have Young as a key defender per se but in O'Brien's more versatille role? I don't think Young has it in him to play on mid-sized and even smaller players as much as O'Brien does.

I was so frustrated by his recruitment but think that O'Brien has defied any expectations we could have placed on him. But then again I'm a lot less pessimistic about our back 6 than everyone else on here it seems.
    No, I have Young as a key defender and think he, Keath and Gardner could all play. Young and Gardner really move well.
    Plus given Keath has missed a few weeks (5 or 6) and Young and Gardner would be supported by O'Brien more than Cordy.
    Happy enough with TOB but if memory serves me correctly he was seen more as an Easton Wood replacement than a KPD.
    With Bruce out for an extended period and questions marks on Schache and Marra early in the season TOB could move between roles when required.

18. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see if Lewis stays in their side once the injured players return.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    It will be interesting to see if Lewis stays in their side once the injured players return.
    He's got some runs on the board but yes it will be interesting to see if he gets squeezed out.

Post Thanks / Like

its crazy that we played him out of position, for someone who gets nervous and does not yet have the physique

Young has played 11 of 14 games in navy blue, holding down a crucial role in a crumbling back six .

He would never have played that many games in a row in one position for us.

We really messed him up.