Thanks Thanks:  369
Likes Likes:  2,153
Page 68 of 284 FirstFirst ... 18585960616263646566676869707172737475767778118168 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 4260
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    I think we can let Boumann references pass into oblivion, however

Liam Jones is a different issue.

My opinion is that we should now be prepared to put an offer to Liam. He has talent and he would realise that his career is dependent on embracing the role of the modern intercepting defender. A role that suits his skillset.

Not sure what Carlton will offer, but I would think 3 years on $400k is now reasonable.
    Let's not get carried away.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Let's not get carried away.
    Despite the negative vibe felt by many Bulldog supporters, Liam is showing great signs in an area of need.

We really lack a tall defender, who can actually mark the ball.

If we eliminate our preconceptions, he ticks the boxes.

I was someone who did not rate him as a forward, but I am now impressed with his reincarnation.

Just perhaps Liam now values the opportunity to be an AFL footballer and is prepared to play any role that provides that opportunity.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Despite the negative vibe felt by many Bulldog supporters, Liam is showing great signs in an area of need.

I was someone who did not rate him as a forward, but I am now impressed with his reincarnation.

Just perhaps Liam now values the opportunity to be an AFL footballer and is prepared to play any role that provides that opportunity.
    Zaine is heading that way and if Adams can stay fit, well, he is already there.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like

Does Liam's reinvention as a tall defender remind you a bit of Peter Foster's career turnaround when Malthouse sent him to CHB? It does to me, tall red headed CHF with sticky hands but who was easy to run under the ball by a smart defender heads to CHB and finds some form.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is kind of following our ex players ..
    My daughter moved up to the GC in January , started working at Marios restaurant in Broadbeach ( she has no idea on football) she rang to say her boss played footy for Collingwood .,Andrew Dimattina ., apparently Paul and Frank(dad) pop in frequently but she believes they are still in Melbourne .. Does anyone know if Dimattinas is still in lygon street ? I would say they are all still in the restaurant business.
    For those who don't know Frank played at Richmond , Andrew at Collingwood and Paul had quite a good career at the dogs.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

The latest news I could find Ledge:

https://www.domain.com.au/news/iconi...141029-11dp9e/

People have been hating on it via Zomato as recently as three months ago:

https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/the...cucina-carlton
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Well this is kind of following our ex players ..
    My daughter moved up to the GC in January , started working at Marios restaurant in Broadbeach ( she has no idea on football) she rang to say her boss played footy for Collingwood .,Andrew Dimattina ., apparently Paul and Frank(dad) pop in frequently but she believes they are still in Melbourne .. Does anyone know if Dimattinas is still in lygon street ? I would say they are all still in the restaurant business.
    For those who don't know Frank played at Richmond , Andrew at Collingwood and Paul had quite a good career at the dogs.
    Paul owns the Society restaurant in the City. Met him there about a year ago. Told him I was a doggie supporter and he gave each person on our table a glass of limoncello on the house. Nice gesture. We had a laugh speaking about the Wog Squad.

8. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Does Liam's reinvention as a tall defender remind you a bit of Peter Foster's career turnaround when Malthouse sent him to CHB? It does to me, tall red headed CHF with sticky hands but who was easy to run under the ball by a smart defender heads to CHB and finds some form.
    A little bit, but it's come later for Jones. Fossie was about the same age as Fletch Roberts is now when he clicked into gear. Fletch is about two and a half years younger than Jones.

Fossie also gained some noticeable size - which helped him. I can't see that Jones has changed physically in the past year or two - so Jones's transformation is a surprise.

Personally, I was pretty patient with Jones. I actually debated sending he and Redpath into defence to develop them during 2014. My thoughts were that neither had the hands to be great key forwards. Jones was canned for his tank, but his issues were clearly his inability to cope with wiley defenders who easily ran him off his approach to a marking contest.

I thought Redpath could be a Lake or May type, but with Liam it was more a "why not?" equation. Surprising it never happened. Nonetheless, when he left I was happy to see the back of him.

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    A little bit, but it's come later for Jones. Fossie was about the same age as Fletch Roberts is now when he clicked into gear. Fletch is about two and a half years younger than Jones.

Fossie also gained some noticeable size - which helped him. I can't see that Jones has changed physically in the past year or two - so Jones's transformation is a surprise.

Personally, I was pretty patient with Jones. I actually debated sending he and Redpath into defence to develop them during 2014. My thoughts were that neither had the hands to be great key forwards. Jones was canned for his tank, but his issues were clearly his inability to cope with wiley defenders who easily ran him off his approach to a marking contest.

I thought Redpath could be a Lake or May type, but with Liam it was more a "why not?" equation. Surprising it never happened. Nonetheless, when he left I was happy to see the back of him.
    My recollection on Jones is that he simply refused to put in the effort, when moved to defence in a few games. I believe he clearly saw himself as a forward only, but he was also timid in the contest when on the lead and his continual running under the ball was to avoid the contact from the chasing defender. He was never prepared to prop and hold out the defender.

However, he was very good when he could fly for the speccie.

It seems he has now conceded that he needs to find a niche that can extend his career and the intercepting nature of the modern defender suits his skill set.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

12. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't think he was that much older, two and a half years is a fair bit in footy terms.

You're right in that Fossie was a lot bigger than Liam but Bulldog Joe has a point about the game being played differently and other skill sets being valuable these days. Ironically it's Liam's ability to find room and intercept opposition attacks that may save his career but there's no way we would have tolerated a tall defender who deliberately left his man by himself to go after the ball back in the '80s.

Or we would have put up with it the first couple of times or until his direct opponent kicked a Joe the goose and DEMANDED that he attend to his man and leave the showboating to the fowards!

BTW is Jayden Fossie still at Footscray? I haven't seen him mentioned for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually wondering the same thing re Jayden Foster.

On the Peter Foster vs Jones thing, I wasn't comparing the two players' physiques (it's a different era now). I was just saying that, with Fossie, the 1984 Fossie was very different to the 1983 Fossie - size wise.

I don't see the same change in Jones. I think with him, he's simply invented a heart..! As they say, necessity is the mother of invention! He was a goner if he didn't. Blues have been blessed by timing.
    Last edited by Webby; 16-07-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was actually wondering the same thing re Jayden Foster.

On the Peter Foster vs Jones thing, I wasn't comparing the two players' physiques (it's a different era now). I was just saying that, with Fossie, the 1984 Fossie was very different to the 1984 Fossie - size wise.

I don't see the same change in Jones. I think with him, he's simply invented a heart..! As they say, necessity is the mother of invention! He was a goner if he didn't. Blues have been blessed by timing.
    They are very different beasts. And you got the reason for his rapid improvement in one. He just puts a lot more heart into everything he does on the field from his hunger for the ball to taking physical contact. It's good timing for Liam too with it being the last year of his contract and all.

I hope he continues his upward form I can't help but like Liam Jones (he's a Footscray premiership hero after all) but I'm going to wait for a sustained run of form.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    The latest news I could find Ledge:

https://www.domain.com.au/news/iconi...141029-11dp9e/

People have been hating on it via Zomato as recently as three months ago:

https://www.zomato.com/melbourne/the...cucina-carlton
    I just looked up Marios on Zomato and its got great reviews so Andrew must be a good operator ( and my daughter a good waitress :-) )
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Liam Jones, two year contract extension.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Liam Jones, two year contract extension.
    Who had money on that a month ago!!!

Good for him.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023