Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Who knows what he could have commanded if he stayed with us, or what opportunities could have come his way.
    True that it’s hard to Crystal ball what might’ve happened had he passed through another sliding door. But: Inreckon it’s fair to say that had Harbrow stayed put with us, he’d have moved from between $250 to $350k p.a. And after some time earning the right to be pressing for it.

At GC, with their cap space, capacity to pay overs to get him and need to pay generously to maintain senior players, he’d have commanded $450k plus per year for his eight seasons up there (which will become 10. I have a feeling that, as b&f an example would be made to his teammates that loyalty is rewarded. I’d expect he’s on a very good wicket.

Ten years earning around $150k p.a. more than he would have with us, equals a rough “two houses” estimate. With no success. If he’d stayed with us, he’d have a medallion, but his bank account would be a lot smaller.

But it’s just a hypothetical.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Premiership medal. It's the whole point of playing the game. If you are playing to get rich and own houses then you are playing for the wrong reasons.
    Spot on. No one needs several houses.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Spot on. No one needs several houses.
    Lol.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Premiership medal. It's the whole point of playing the game. If you are playing to get rich and own houses then you are playing for the wrong reasons.
    Premierships are why you play park football. Professional football is more complicated than that.

Post Thanks / Like

Looking at Geelong and us at the moment it’s a good choice for Luke , more money , longer contract and they are certainly a chance to win a flag in the next couple of years.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant has helped out last couple of seasons but confirmed as the coach of Spotswood under 18's Girls next season.
    Daughter is a chip of the old block and almost guaranteed to be a Father-Daughter at the Dogs.

7. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Premierships are why you play park football. Professional football is more complicated than that.

I bought my first house when I was 31. Paid cash and owned it outright, I've got two now but give me a premiership medal anyday.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought my first house when I was 31. Paid cash and owned it outright, I've got two now but give me a premiership medal anyday.
    Good on ya mate, it's not all about the cash. I would have given anything to be good enough to play for our club.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Looking at Geelong and us at the moment it’s a good choice for Luke , more money , longer contract and they are certainly a chance to win a flag in the next couple of years.
    Really? I don't see Geelong as close to a flag at all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Agreed. And imagine the death stares he's going to attract from the Wonder Twins every time he sprays it.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I don't either. They've finished low in the eight and expect them to be bundled out in the first round of finals. Their top line players are ageing badly and there's a cliff edge awaiting them.

Dahl will largely play in a team which is caught in mid table no man's land, but he'll. e well paid, secure and close to family, I guess. We're closer to a flag than Geelong. Beveridge is building - whereas Scott's simply clinging. Scott's all about his own W/L record. Beveridge is about building his group to climb the mountain.

I guess Dahl's already climbed the mountain and wants security. That's been evident in his footy the past two years, btw.

I heard in the media people saying he was a Cats fan as a kid. That is not true, he was Essendon.... That's a character flaw, right there!

14. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what you do TD and how you made your money but I suspect that for some blokes AFL is probably the only way they'll be able to replicate that feat today.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what you do TD and how you made your money but I suspect that for some blokes AFL is probably the only way they'll be able to replicate that feat today legally.
    Fixed that for you.

17. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes Twodogs, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Good on ya mate, it's not all about the cash. I would have given anything to be good enough to play for our club.
    Cricket was my real passion. Anyone who could organise for me to open the batting for Australia in a Boxing Day test is more than welcome to both the houses, although my kids might not be so keen on the idea...

I don't know what you do TD and how you made your money but I suspect that for some blokes AFL is probably the only way they'll be able to replicate that feat today.
    I was just a commonwealth public servant. I guess being a baby boomer (I just snuck in to that generation, I was born in 1964) made it a little easier but then again there was an expectation that you would own a house back then. If you rented (to quote Paul Keating about living anywhere than Sydney) then you were just camping out.

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    I've had troubles with that as well.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

2018 Magarey Medal leaderboard
    Mitch Grigg (Norwood) 26 votes
    Travis Schiller (Central) 24 votes
    Nick Liddle (South) 22 votes
    James Boyd (Eagles) 22 votes
    Abe Davis (South) 18 votes
    Zane Kirkwood (Sturt) 18 votes
    Matt Panos (Norwood) 18 votes
    Kaine Stevens (West) 18 votes
    James Battersby (Sturt) 17 votes
    Max Thring (North) 15 votes

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-...magarey-winner