Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Man, I'm sure glad that Lake wants to be remembered as a Hawk because holy shit has he gone off the rails since retirement.
    Glad we won something from that trade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Brian Lake is showing all of the hallmarks of a serious domestic violence offender, and he needs to be removed from society for a spell if the accusations and charges are proved true.

It's shit that it has happened to him and those involved (especially the latter), but ultimately there's a huge element of entitlement playing out that needs to be stopped completely, because the behaviour is so much more dangerous than how it's being slated within the media. If true his behaviour is disgusting.
    Jeemak, you have rightly condemned his behaviour but we should be cautious about any implication of man as victim here. The phrase in bold - in isolation and I’m sure wasn’t your intention from the words which follow - could imply the separation “happened to him” and this shitty situation tipped him over the brink. It’s equally likely the separation was because of behaviour that has now continued post separation. I work for a family violence organisation and know that far too many men feel that a woman leaving them for whatever reason that may be is so insulting that it justifies their behaviour. As you say, it indicates entitlement, it is dangerous - imagine the terror for a woman from a 6ft 4 man hulking around her house and listening into conversations - and it is disgusting. I hope the mental health card isn’t cover for self pity, anger and rage because they are vastly different things.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    Jeemak, you have rightly condemned his behaviour but we should be cautious about any implication of man as victim here. The phrase in bold - in isolation and I’m sure wasn’t your intention from the words which follow - could imply the separation “happened to him” and this shitty situation tipped him over the brink. It’s equally likely the separation was because of behaviour that has now continued post separation. I work for a family violence organisation and know that far too many men feel that a woman leaving them for whatever reason that may be is so insulting that it justifies their behaviour. As you say, it indicates entitlement, it is dangerous - imagine the terror for a woman from a 6ft 4 man hulking around her house and listening into conversations - and it is disgusting. I hope the mental health card isn’t cover for self pity, anger and rage because they are vastly different things.
    I appreciate exactly what you're saying, and I'm certainly not of the view Brian is any type of victim.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian Lake freed after pleading guilty to assault, trespassing

Embattled footy star Brian Lake has walked free from jail after pleaded guilty to a suite of stalking, assault and trespassing offences.

The former premiership player was released from the Sunshine Magistrates’ Court this afternoon after spending two nights in custody following a violent incident at a home in Melbourne’s west this week.

The court heard the former Hawthorn star went to the woman’s house on Tuesday night after receiving a distressing text message which read: “I’m sick of this life”.

Lake tried to contact the woman, who cannot be identified, several times but his calls went unanswered.

His lawyer told Magistrate Jennifer Grubissa this interaction prompted the accused to go to the woman’s home, but conceded it was “no excuse for his behaviour” which involved stealing her phone and becoming aggressive.

Lake handed himself into police the next day but gave mostly no comment responses and made no admissions, court documents reveal.

He was charged with stalking, theft, criminal damage, breaching the peace and committing an offence while on bail.

It comes as Lake was set to plead guilty to a similar incident during which he stalked a woman before going on a wild rampage at her Aintree home in February.

On Thursday the former footballer pleaded guilty to those charges which included assault, trespassing, intentionally causing damage to a bedroom door, and stalking the victim.

The court was told Lake filmed the victim in her home and used iPad software to listen to her private conversations in the two days prior to the February 17 rampage.

Lake was on Friday convicted and slapped with an 18-month community corrections order.

Magistrate Grubissa told the fallen star if not for his lack of criminal history, she would have had no choice but to jail him.

“These are serious charges and It’s important that this reality is not lost on you,” Ms Grubissa said.

The magistrate said she had also taken into account Lake had positively engaged with behaviour programs, was the financial provider for his family and was taking steps to address his mental health issues.

The court also heard Lake was a valued employee and was supported by his boss who was present in the courtroom.

“I can see your clear appreciation that what you did was wrong and that you are remorseful,” Ms Grubissa said.

But she warned that if Lake breached the conditions of his corrections order in any way, he would be thrown back in jail, adding: you are the only one that controls that.

Lake was also ordered to complete 250 hours of community service and his licence was suspended for 21 days for driving offences dating back to March 2018.

The father of two refused to answer questions from media outside court and was quickly whisked away by a waiting ute.

Post Thanks / Like

FMD. A CCO and two nights in custody.

Opportunity missed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Lucky for Lake they dropped the agg burg charge. I'm cynical the court system will really do the job here. This begs out for a mild prison sentence, but with a good barrister he will walk out. Ex-player or not, this shit can't be tolerated. As for the article ending on poor Brian 'doing it tough' after survivor... How about poor victims of his crimes and poor the countless women who get bashed and many killed from domestic violence in Victoria each year... Maybe these journo's need to come out with police and go to hospitals with women with unrecognisable faces, or even stand around bashed/stabbed dead women to appreciate the wider issues here and end articles focusing on this scourge and not that poor Brian doing it tough after survivor garbage.
    So I was right to be cynical of the court. Shocked all these charges amounted to little, but not surprised. The signal this sends to others thinking of replicating his behaviour is putrid. Sincerely though, good luck to WD and Bulldogtracian and every one of your colleagues trying to prevent this awfulness. You need just a bit more luck now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So I suppose the next thing will be that Lake kills this poor woman and then the rest of us including the courts and magistrate's and the rest of the CJS will stand around wringing their hands and crapping on about the injustice of it all and how Lake is a terrible person who must be put away for multiple years for the good of society and for the protection of women everywhere. I'm bloody mad about this one. The courts have dropped the ball (excuse the unintended pun) on this case. I'm not normally the type to write into the herald sun letters page and wring my hands over things but you can see from a mile away whats going to happen.

This has tragedy written all over it.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like someone (reading between the lines potentially Lake's ex partner) sent him a text saying 'I'm sick of this life' which without context could mean different things. They should both stay completely away from each other.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that I haven't heard one shred of the court proceedings, and so I am hardly qualified to make any comment; but sometimes you have to wonder just what a person has to do before some form of real punishment is administered by the courts. And not just in this case, but in general.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it will piss you off. ... Gloria Steinem.

11. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanette54 View Post
    I know that I haven't heard one shred of the court proceedings
    There must be more to it because based on what's been posted here it's a no brainer
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Like in most cases if you were able to sit down and have a discussion with the magistrate you'd probably wind up understanding the perspective behind the decision a little better, but whether you wind up agreeing is a different story.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

14. Likes Bulldog4life, Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    There must be more to it because based on what's been posted here it's a no brainer
    I imagine you are correct.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on Liam for turning it around, wouldn't mind him in our backline at the moment.

Carlton defender Liam Jones has leaked just three goals this season

Liam Jones’ obsession with studying vision and researching opponents has emerged as the key to his rebirth as one of the game’s stingiest defenders.

The Carlton full-back has conceded just three goals this season after extended duels with Richmond’s Jack Riewoldt, Port Adelaide’s Paddy Ryder and Sydney’s Lance Franklin.

Jones polled two coaches votes for his negating performance on Franklin, where he mixed sharp closing speed, smart body contact and desperation to beat the eight-time All-Australian in several one-on-ones.

The Jones redemption story hits a milestone on Sunday when he celebrates game No.50 for the Blues against Gold Coast at Metricon Stadium.

Carlton considered paying out Jones’ three-year contract in 2015 as he languished in the VFL with seemingly little chance of reviving his career as a goalkicker.

But the footy head — who watched the Suns beat Western Bulldogs in Round 3 — was given 24 hours’ notice he would be thrown from full-forward to full-back for a VFL game in 2017, and he hasn’t looked back.

Now Jones, 28, and backline coach Dale Amos spend hours studying his upcoming opponent every week.

That dedication has earned Jones plenty of respect at the Blues.

“One week (my role is) going to be a really tough job like that, playing on the best forward in the competition in Lance Franklin,” Jones said.

“This week it might be sharing the load a little bit more, trying to assist other defenders, staying connected as a defensive group and not so much lockdown.

“Coming across there’s been some ups and downs but I didn’t realise it was my 50th.

“I’m so grateful to be playing footy — whether it be AFL-level, VFL-level.”

Jones spent 121 minutes opposed to triple-Coleman Medallist Riewoldt in Round 1 but conceded just one goal.

In Round 2 Jones kept Ryder goalless from 60 minutes while one of Franklin’s goals was courtesy of a soft free kick and he was matched up with Jones for 110 minutes.

The blinding patch of form has been built around Jones being allowed to play almost exclusively one-on-one rather than overthinking defensive structures and zones.

Blues coach Brendon Bolton said Jones was “fantastic” on Buddy and was thrilled with the partnership he was forming with No.1 pick Jacob Weitering and No.3 pick Lachie Plowman.

Post Thanks / Like

Weird theory: Has becoming a defender lifted Liam's work-rate? Has having a key forward to follow and have responsibility for forced him to work harder than he did as a forward, where he had to lead and work back on his own initiative?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Weird theory: Has becoming a defender lifted Liam's work-rate? Has having a key forward to follow and have responsibility for forced him to work harder than he did as a forward, where he had to lead and work back on his own initiative?
    I think its more to do with having a set task (Keep such and such to less than a couple of kicks a quarter, let other players know you are around) and the fact that the game opens up in front of you from defence whereas in the forward line you have to box clever and make the most of every movement. Liam got a bit lost if his first lead wasn't honored and tended to not really follow up-repeat running patterns weren't really his big thing. I'm not saying that he was lazy he just got a bit lost in the hustle and bustle of life in attack but in defence he has just that little bit longer to steady himself.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.