Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
Page 18 of 289 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868118 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

We were to blame for him leaving he was ready to sign on longer the year before but we didn't take it up. We could have had him locked away at a lot cheaper price, it was our own incompetence that lost him.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

And now we have Macrae as compensation for losing him. Macrae goes pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    And now we have Macrae as compensation for losing him. Macrae goes pretty well.
    True. And we got Ward with our traded pick for Jordan MacMahon. That's stacking up as one of the better trades we've ever done.

It's funny to look back at that first GWS draft. We got 1 first rounder for a GWS recruit and nabbed Macrae (at 6, having taken Stringer at 5). Melbourne got 2 (for Scully) and went for Jimmy Toumpas (at 4) and Aidan Corr (at 14). Sucks to be them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    When you're offered $800k a season for 5 years as a 21yo, and given the chance of a lifetime to set yourself up for life while still playing the game you love, I find it hard to believe that anyone else wouldn't have done the same thing. Unfortunately for us, it was a perfect storm of circumstances that will never be repeated - and even then we can only blame our incompetence for Ward still being out of contract at the time GWS swooped.

It was a golden ticket for him, and by the sounds of it he might be offered another golden ticket next year.
    I'm with you. Anyone who said they wouldn't have done what he did is lying to themselves. It was an offer too good to refuse and I bear him no ill will. I'd have him back in a heartbeat. Great player.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant didnt do it. Im sure theres plenty of other Dog legends who've turned down the mighty $$$ and i think it shows a lot about the persons character myself.
    The curse is dead.

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Chris Grant didnt do it. Im sure theres plenty of other Dog legends who've turned down the mighty $$$ and i think it shows a lot about the persons character myself.
    Chris Grant was the 2nd best player in the competition and commanded the big offer - all the more kudos to him for not taking it. Ward was still trying to establish himself, and all of a sudden gets offered 800k a season which would have been 300-400% above his previous wage. Cannot blame him at all, if there is a club stupid enough to offer that kind of filthy lucre.

Anyway as previously pointed out, he should never have been out of contract at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris Grant was the 2nd best player in the competition and commanded the big offer - all the more kudos to him for not taking it. Ward was still trying to establish himself, and all of a sudden gets offered 800k a season which would have been 300-400% above his previous wage. Cannot blame him at all, if there is a club stupid enough to offer that kind of filthy lucre.

Anyway as previously pointed out, he should never have been out of contract at the time.
    Pretty big stuff up from Clayton.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure Clayton had already gone to Gold Coast.

My recollection was that contract negotiations had been delayed because Ward had a serious bout of OP.
    We were also lacking a list manager at the time.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Fanatasia.

11. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Pretty sure Clayton had already gone to Gold Coast.

My recollection was that contract negotiations had been delayed because Ward had a serious bout of OP.
    We were also lacking a list manager at the time.
    Fair enough, my bad.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Fanatasia.
    Thats the guy i was thinking of.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Fanatasia.
    Add Harbrow into the stuff up as well.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes chef, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When you're offered $800k a season for 5 years as a 21yo, and given the chance of a lifetime to set yourself up for life while still playing the game you love, I find it hard to believe that anyone else wouldn't have done the same thing. Unfortunately for us, it was a perfect storm of circumstances that will never be repeated - and even then we can only blame our incompetence for Ward still being out of contract at the time GWS swooped.

It was a golden ticket for him, and by the sounds of it he might be offered another golden ticket next year.
    I really think the captaincy was a big lure for him, probably as big as the money. But to look at it purely in money terms is a mistake on both sides. Football is not a normal job. Players have a small window and are only a ruptured ligament or whatever from retirement.
    So they have to do as well as they can in the time they have. On the other hand, football is a very tight knit community.
    I have no doubt were he to pull on a Bulldogs jumper, the general fans would love him again. Then again there are rusted on supporters who would never forgive him in their hearts, and I think I'm one.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

17. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fanatasia.
    That name....god I do not miss that guy.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Last I heard Fantasia was very ill and had taken time away from football.
    Bring back the biff