Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/af...4774e78388bef7

AFL: Former Western Bulldogs midfielder Patrick Lipinski relishes greater opportunity at Collingwood
    Patrick Lipinski struggled for opportunities at the Western Bulldogs but is proving his worth at new club Collingwood.

Collingwood’s bargain midfield recruit Patrick Lipinski is thriving on having a “clear role” after being shunted onto a wing and starved of senior opportunities at his former club.

Lipinski’s decision to depart the Western Bulldogs for the Magpies last year could hardly be going better, with his new team 2-0 and him winning 54 disposals across the opening fortnight.

“It’s great fun and I’ve got a pretty clear role on what I need to do in there,” he told News Corp.

“We played super well again and it was pretty hot out there but we got it done. It’s the perfect start for us, so hopefully we can keep it rolling.”

Lipinski was a player in demand last year as his AFL chances dwindled at the Bulldogs, where he was stuck behind the likes of Marcus Bontempelli, Jack Macrae, Tom Liberatore, Josh Dunkley and Bailey Smith.

The 23-year-old averaged more than 35 touches a week at second-tier level in 2021 but his senior games came mostly as a wingman, which didn’t suit his strengths.

Dogs coach Luke Beveridge’s feedback, Lipinski said, subsequently centred on his “open-field” performance, including tackling and leg speed.

“He was a bit obsessed with that,” Lipinski said.

“Then there was obviously a great midfield in front of me that I wasn’t able to play in and that’s probably my best position, so it was a pretty easy choice to come and play midfield here.

“It just didn’t work out for me (at the Bulldogs).”

Lipinski’s strong start to his black and white career hasn’t surprised him or Collingwood, but he made a point of saying he was intent on improving rather than trying to prove anyone wrong.

“I’ve always believed in myself, even when things weren’t going well,” he said.

“I still worked as hard as I do when it’s going well, but it’s only two games, so I have to keep it up.

“But it’s been great to have that belief from ‘Fly’ (Craig McRae), because that allows me to play my best, and I get to play to my strengths, so it’s awesome.”

2. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bevo obsessed with leg speed and open field play.

Interesting comment.

Think we lost a good one there, not sure there's any blame to be handed out; just the circumstances.

Shame though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Interesting comment.

Think we lost a good one there, not sure there's any blame to be handed out; just the circumstances.

Shame though.
    He's not wrong though.

When I saw Lynch run Lipinski down in the Tigers game last year, after his efforts as an inside mid that night, I knew he'd be at another club in 2022.
    W00F!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post

Interesting comment.

Shame though.
    Bevo tried to get him to improve other aspects of his game as he was too far back in the queue for an inside mid spot. It would be interesting to know if Pat embraced the challenge or sooked it up because he wasn't playing where best suited him. That article comes across as if he's a bit shirty about it.

I'm not sure we could have done anything differently, other than as suggested by another poster that we trade him a year earlier to extract more value.

Pat has definitely made the best move for his footy and we move on.

6. Likes Grantysghost, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    That article comes across as if he's a bit shirty about it.
    I think the opposite. Lipinski makes it pretty clear that he's not angry about it but rather just looking to further his career.

It would be interesting to know if Pat embraced the challenge or sooked it up because he wasn't playing where best suited him.
    Lipinski is a pro and works on his game very carefully. IIRC in the off seasons he was doing extra work out of his own money with a sprint coach to help make him faster.

I think also to his credit the writing on the wall was already pretty clear post 2019/20 (can't remember which) that he was going to really have to fight to become more than a fringe player, and I'm sure there were opportunities elsewhere, but he signed another contract and had a crack.

I think Lipinski is a great example of a player that never took the easy option of sulking or moving elsewhere, and did everything he could to succeed with his childhood club before finally making a move at the right time to ensure his career didn't fail. I'm very pleased for him that his time at Collingwood has started so well, and it's even easier to not feel bitter about any success he has as it was clear he was never going to make the next step here.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

8. Likes Mofra, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    I think the opposite. Lipinski makes it pretty clear that he's not angry about it but rather just looking to further his career.
    Sorry I should have said the Bevo was obsessed bit. But it's hard to tell as it's just a couple of lines on a page without hearing the whole interview.

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    Lipinski is a pro and works on his game very carefully. IIRC in the off seasons he was doing extra work out of his own money with a sprint coach to help make him faster.

I think also to his credit the writing on the wall was already pretty clear post 2019/20 (can't remember which) that he was going to really have to fight to become more than a fringe player, and I'm sure there were opportunities elsewhere, but he signed another contract and had a crack.

I think Lipinski is a great example of a player that never took the easy option of sulking or moving elsewhere, and did everything he could to succeed with his childhood club before finally making a move at the right time to ensure his career didn't fail. I'm very pleased for him that his time at Collingwood has started so well, and it's even easier to not feel bitter about any success he has as it was clear he was never going to make the next step here.
    Good to hear, hopefully his hard work pays off and he has a successful career.

Post Thanks / Like

Pat's lack of speed and his tackling issues were mentioned many times on WOOF. If he can succeed at improving those qualities he should have a good career.

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Talk with McDonald missing for Carlton this week Lewis Young might be in for his first game for the blues.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Rhiarn Gryphan has signed with Myrtleford in the Ovens & Murray league.

14. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lewis Young picked for the Blues
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Rhiarn Gryphan has signed with Myrtleford in the Ovens & Murray league.
    Saw him in the local cafe two weeks ago with some Geelong fans for the opening round. Surprised he is playing.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Saw him in the local cafe two weeks ago with some Geelong fans for the opening round. Surprised he is playing.
    Geelong fans or Geelong recruiting team? By the mid season draft he'd just about be the right age to get on their radar.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

18. Likes The bulldog tragician, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Geelong fans or Geelong recruiting team? By the mid season draft he'd just about be the right age to get on their radar.
    Nah, fans. Looked like family friends to be honest.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Boyd also playing for the Blues this week - although not a WB AFL player, he was a significant member of the Footscray VFL side before being picked up by the Blues last year in the mid season draft. Good luck to him (local Spotswood boy).
    Anyone can support a team that is winning, it takes no courage. But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you, that takes a lot of courage, so lets always be behind our boys and girls in red, white and blue.

21. Likes EasternWest, azabob, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My mates and I beat Jordan McMahon and family at a pub quiz tonight at Glenelg. Very randomly one of the questions was about the Western Bulldogs and we both looked at each other and laughed