Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I wonder how much that had to do with the wanker pack? You know, the blokes who were probably OK by themselves but really shit when around each other.........
    Putting Dahlhaus, Libba, Stringer and Biggsy in a room together and I'm sure I'd be tearing my hear out pretty shortly too.

Adams seems like a 'deep' kind of guy which isn't common for footballers. We saw how Tom Boyd worked out as well.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Putting Dahlhaus, Libba, Stringer and Biggsy in a room together and I'm sure I'd be tearing my hear out pretty shortly too.

Adams seems like a 'deep' kind of guy which isn't common for footballers. We saw how Tom Boyd worked out as well.
    It's pretty accurate I'd say, and not uncommon. When I played (very very low level) I had a group within the team I spent most of my time with, and there were others I thought were complete idiots that I stayed well clear of (like the guy flogging stolen mobiles in the change rooms every Thursday!).

I remember a pre season launch function and Dalhaus seemed off, pretty happy with things and was posing with some supporters giving the bird in selfies. I get it, harmless fun but probably wasn't the wisest thing to do at an official function.
    Kind of appeared he'd lost his ability to be professional.
    He was gone the next year.

3. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an interesting excerpt from an interview with Adams at the Lions :

Sitting on a lounge chair in a cafe at Hobart's University of Tasmania, this is when the conversation moves to Adams' meticulous nature.
    He likes to dot every 'i' and cross every 't', and you get the sense he's been conscious of what other people have thought in the past.
    But not anymore.
    "Being drafted at [age] 22, I'd worked and been involved in a company and dealt with other companies and seen how organisations interact," he said.
    "I don't think I've come across an organisation where everyone is so accommodating, supportive, enthusiastic about what we're doing.
    "I think our club has developed something pretty special.

"That has made it a bit easier to be that meticulous nature, it's supported. I don't feel weird.
    "You can feel like an absolute weirdo at times if you're the one guy not drinking or not eating a certain type of food."
    Once Adams arrived in Brisbane 15 months ago, it didn't take him long to strike up a friendship with ruckman Stefan Martin.
    They're like two peas in a pod in many respects.

Two of the most professional players at the club and two of the deepest thinkers.
    The pair often help each other navigate through any setbacks or difficult times, unravelling why they are the way they are.
    "Coming here and seeing Stef's respect in the group, I thought "wow, you can be like that and be respected amongst the group".

"Stef and I both take that approach of maximising what we've got. Neither of us starting out at 20 years of age were going to be the guys picked on talent.
    "You don’t have to be an outlier, [a] weirdo that's ostracised.
    "It's a pretty amazing environment in that regard that everybody's individual differences are respected and supported in the group.
    "I can't speak highly enough of the culture that's been developed.

5. Thanks jeemak, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    This is an interesting excerpt from an interview with Adams at the Lions :

Sitting on a lounge chair in a cafe at Hobart's University of Tasmania, this is when the conversation moves to Adams' meticulous nature.
    He likes to dot every 'i' and cross every 't', and you get the sense he's been conscious of what other people have thought in the past.
    But not anymore.
    "Being drafted at [age] 22, I'd worked and been involved in a company and dealt with other companies and seen how organisations interact," he said.
    "I don't think I've come across an organisation where everyone is so accommodating, supportive, enthusiastic about what we're doing.
    "I think our club has developed something pretty special.

"That has made it a bit easier to be that meticulous nature, it's supported. I don't feel weird.
    "You can feel like an absolute weirdo at times if you're the one guy not drinking or not eating a certain type of food."
    Once Adams arrived in Brisbane 15 months ago, it didn't take him long to strike up a friendship with ruckman Stefan Martin.
    They're like two peas in a pod in many respects.

Two of the most professional players at the club and two of the deepest thinkers.
    The pair often help each other navigate through any setbacks or difficult times, unravelling why they are the way they are.
    "Coming here and seeing Stef's respect in the group, I thought "wow, you can be like that and be respected amongst the group".

"Stef and I both take that approach of maximising what we've got. Neither of us starting out at 20 years of age were going to be the guys picked on talent.
    "You don’t have to be an outlier, [a] weirdo that's ostracised.
    "It's a pretty amazing environment in that regard that everybody's individual differences are respected and supported in the group.
    "I can't speak highly enough of the culture that's been developed.
    What I have heard is he had no mates at WB at all, and he was a quiet sort of person that as Mofra said, didn't gel with anyone.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

At 22, he must have dealt with soooooo many companies and been a real expert, and definitely not immature, closed off, intellectually snobbish or getting around with a chip on his shoulder!

There's two sides to every coin. I don't doubt he was probably at odds with a chunk of the playing group who weren't the greatest guys to be around, but at the same time, he may also have been a bit much.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Feel like him being not very good is getting lost in the sauce here.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes jeemak, Grantysghost, SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If you look at his career, since 2016, played 11,10,6,10,1,17 and all 5 this year. (bolded at Lions)

At 192cm, and with no leap, he is not a KPP and doesn't defend well if he can't outmark his opponent. No big loss.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

If he wanted to still be at the club, he would be. And if he was still at the club, he would have undoubtedly been in our best 22 whenever he was fit.

12. Likes Grantysghost, azabob, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    If he wanted to still be at the club, he would be. And if he was still at the club, he would have undoubtedly been in our best 22 whenever he was fit.
    Agreed. He's not a prefect player but he has attributes we need/ could use. Nobody's saying he's perfect, right?

14. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Agree JD, he'd slot in nicely. He was contracted when he left so there's not a lot more we could've done and if we weren't the right fit for him that's just the way it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I laughed too hard at this. Your delivery is sublime.

17. Thanks Happy Days thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    At 22, he must have dealt with soooooo many companies and been a real expert, and definitely not immature, closed off, intellectually snobbish or getting around with a chip on his shoulder!

There's two sides to every coin. I don't doubt he was probably at odds with a chunk of the playing group who weren't the greatest guys to be around, but at the same time, he may also have been a bit much.
    It is an odd statement. I feel like most of that interview was a dig at the dogs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    What I have heard is he had no mates at WB at all, and he was a quiet sort of person that as Mofra said, didn't gel with anyone.
    My mail is very different. Hamling and Adams were very close, the younger guys appreciated the Specimen's input into training.
    He didn't gel with the 'boy's' though.

A quiet person is more than OK in a group environment. The trick is to make people like that feel involved.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

20. Likes Grantysghost, jeemak, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    It is an odd statement. I feel like most of that interview was a dig at the dogs.
    My major takeaway was that at the age of 22 he thought he was an experienced organisational effectiveness expert.

22. Likes Grantysghost, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    My mail is very different. Hamling and Adams were very close, the younger guys appreciated the Specimen's input into training.
    He didn't gel with the 'boy's' though.

A quiet person is more than OK in a group environment. The trick is to make people like that feel involved.
    He was drafted in 2015, so he only had a year with Hamling.