Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Paul Amy
    @PaulAmy375
    ·
    24m
    Pretty handy signing for VAFA Premier club Old Xaverians, securing old boy and former AFL Bulldog Billy Gowers, who has spent the past two years with Southport in the VFL. His grandfather Trevor and father, Andy, both played at Xavs.
    Great of Billy to support local amateur football and go play for the Old Boys for free.

Post Thanks / Like

RAWLINGS REFLECTS ON BEING INVOLVED IN THE AFL’S MOST INFAMOUS TRADE DEAL

Jade Rawlings has opened up on being involved in perhaps the most infamous AFL trade of all time.

The ‘Lochlan Veale deal’ as it’s been referred to, was a trade that changed AFL rules as Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs arranged a trade to have Rawlings land at Whitten Oval.

Rawlings, who had played 116 games for the brown and gold, was hoping to get to North Melbourne to play with his brother, Brady, but with the Kangaroos unable to satisfy the Hawks, the Bulldogs entered the frame.

As Rawlings didn’t want to join the Bulldogs, the Hawks traded 19-year-old Veale, who had been taken with pick no. 65 a year earlier, to the Dogs for pick no. 6 – with the promise of delisting Rawlings so the Dogs could pick him up with the first selection in the pre-season draft.

While Rawlings wanted to get to Arden Street, he revealed he never wanted to leave Hawthorn in the first place with the trade “forced upon” him by the lowball contract he was tabled.

“I had no intention of leaving Hawthorn,” Rawlings told SEN’s This Is Your Journey – thanks to Tobin Brothers.

“There were a lot of back-ended contracts that put a lot of pressure on the salary cap.

“I was out of contract and never in my wildest dreams thought of leaving Hawthorn.

“It was forced upon me, it was really poorly handled and we were in a position that someone had to go by the end of it and that was me.

“I got offered a contract that was offensive.”

Rawlings says he was keen to get to the Kangaroos and was disappointed by the “underhanded tactics” that saw him end up at Whitten Oval.

“I know the club had concerns with my knees at the time … but there was an opportunity to go to North Melbourne and play with my brother and the money was probably worth it,” Rawlings explained.

“There were some underhanded tactics that occurred and that basically left me in no man’s land.

“That led me to the pre-season draft where the Bulldogs had the number one pick.

“That was the conspiring among clubs and individuals that occurred.”

The trade ended up being a lose-lose for all parties as Veale was delisted a year later, Rawlings played just 29 games for the club and pick no. 6 would be on-traded with Essendon picking up Kepler Bradley.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jazzadogs View Post
    Great of Billy to support local amateur football and go play for the Old Boys for free.
    Absolutely. Billy would be getting nothing at all out of it........
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    RAWLINGS REFLECTS ON BEING INVOLVED IN THE AFL’S MOST INFAMOUS TRADE DEAL

Jade Rawlings has opened up on being involved in perhaps the most infamous AFL trade of all time.

The ‘Lochlan Veale deal’ as it’s been referred to, was a trade that changed AFL rules as Hawthorn and the Western Bulldogs arranged a trade to have Rawlings land at Whitten Oval.

Rawlings, who had played 116 games for the brown and gold, was hoping to get to North Melbourne to play with his brother, Brady, but with the Kangaroos unable to satisfy the Hawks, the Bulldogs entered the frame.

As Rawlings didn’t want to join the Bulldogs, the Hawks traded 19-year-old Veale, who had been taken with pick no. 65 a year earlier, to the Dogs for pick no. 6 – with the promise of delisting Rawlings so the Dogs could pick him up with the first selection in the pre-season draft.

While Rawlings wanted to get to Arden Street, he revealed he never wanted to leave Hawthorn in the first place with the trade “forced upon” him by the lowball contract he was tabled.

“I had no intention of leaving Hawthorn,” Rawlings told SEN’s This Is Your Journey – thanks to Tobin Brothers.

“There were a lot of back-ended contracts that put a lot of pressure on the salary cap.

“I was out of contract and never in my wildest dreams thought of leaving Hawthorn.

“It was forced upon me, it was really poorly handled and we were in a position that someone had to go by the end of it and that was me.

“I got offered a contract that was offensive.”

Rawlings says he was keen to get to the Kangaroos and was disappointed by the “underhanded tactics” that saw him end up at Whitten Oval.

“I know the club had concerns with my knees at the time … but there was an opportunity to go to North Melbourne and play with my brother and the money was probably worth it,” Rawlings explained.

“There were some underhanded tactics that occurred and that basically left me in no man’s land.

“That led me to the pre-season draft where the Bulldogs had the number one pick.

“That was the conspiring among clubs and individuals that occurred.”

The trade ended up being a lose-lose for all parties as Veale was delisted a year later, Rawlings played just 29 games for the club and pick no. 6 would be on-traded with Essendon picking up Kepler Bradley.
    Grizzle guts. Let it go.

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Hrovat (with Sam Wright & Jamie McMillan lining up for Shepparton next season.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

What a nothing article. Rawlings just says what happened, would actually be pretty interesting to hear how it went down, how hard the club tried to bring him in on it, and see what the different parties all proposed.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Luke Dahlhaus is joining Point Cook, linking up with Clay Smith.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupman View Post
    What a nothing article. Rawlings just says what happened, would actually be pretty interesting to hear how it went down, how hard the club tried to bring him in on it, and see what the different parties all proposed.
    Well he did sign a contract to play with us before the PSD took place AND he whined and moaned so much that we ended up letting him go to North and play with his brother in the end anyway so I don't see what he's got to complain about.

He was a professional footballer. We engaged him to play professional football. Like BAD said, it's time to let it go
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Well he did sign a contract to play with us before the PSD took place AND he whined and moaned so much that we ended up letting him go to North and play with his brother in the end anyway so I don't see what he's got to complain about.

He was a professional footballer. We engaged him to play professional football. Like BAD said, it's time to let it go
    That first game v the Eagles where he kicked 7 goals, we kicked over 20 and still lost I recall like it was yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    That first game v the Eagles where he kicked 7 goals, we kicked over 20 and still lost I recall like it was yesterday.
    Koops denied a *!*!*!*!ing obvious holding the man, 40m out, not much angle, and could’ve won the game…
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Grantysghost, EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got a Brownlow vote too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Like BAD said, it's time to let it go
    Imma quote this post every time Dunkley gets mentioned in the next ten years.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    First best and fairest to ever leave the Dogs the year after.

Post Thanks / Like

First best and fairest to ever leave the Dogs the year after.
    Like BAD said, it's time to let it go.
    "It's over. It's all over."

16. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Where did I say I wasn't a hypocrite?