Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

That's a real shame for Adams.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    That's a real shame for Adams.
    He cant be great shape if they are ruling him out already

Ongoing concussion impacts sound debilitating and somewhat scary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

Picken had on going concussion issues for several years. Adams must have pretty bad symptoms.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Revolution View Post

Genuinely scary to still be displaying symptom's after 5 months to the point they've just about put a line through the season for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    10 shake was the popper for me. Got me good.
    Reminds me of ESPN 8 The Ocho from "Dodgeball".
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    The Mongrel punt is doing a deep dive Season Preview for each team.

When previewing Essendon one of the questions asked was about old mate Stringer.

IS 2023 THE YEAR JAKE STRINGER BOUNCES BACK?

Hehe… nope.

Allow me for a moment to introduce you to Bonzi Wells. He is a former NBA player who had a middling career but had his best seasons as part of the Portland Trailblazers, where he averaged a career-high 17 points per game in 2001-02.

Okay HB, what the hell are you on about?

I’m getting there. You see, Bonzi was good, but he was never great. He was talented, but never super competitive… EXCEPT for that 2001-02 season. There he was in games, matching up against the late Kobe Bryant, and a plethora of NBA stars … And get this, he was beating them at times. He was intense, taking the play up to Kobe as the Lakers and Blazers locked horns in a first round series.

Bonzi played his ass off in that series, dogging Kobe on every play and forcing the Hall of Famer into uncharacteristic mistakes. And he was letting Bryant know about it.

“He can’t guard me,” he’d yell to the crowd after scoring on Kobe.

Sure, Kobe still averaged 23 points per game as the Lakers blew by the Blazers, but Bonzi Wells’ play was one of the highlights for the Blazers.

Do you know why?

Because it was a contract year!

Bonzi wanted to get paid… and he did! He turned a two million dollar per year salary into a six million dollar per year salary because he convinced the Blazers that he was worth it right when it was time to negotiate a new deal. When the dollars were on the table, Bonzi made sure none were left sitting there when he exited the discussion..

Aaaaand from there, his output declined, as you’d expect.

People, meet the AFL equivalent of Bonzi Wells – Jake Stringer.

Stringer’s 2021 season was excellent. He got himself in great nick, started to move through the middle of the ground, and was highly effective in the role. His power in the contest and ability to break from congestion to power the Bombers inside 50 made him a weapon many teams had no answer for.

And at the end of the season, he sat down to talk turkey with the Bombers and argued for a three year deal, as opposed to the two-year deal the Bombers wanted. He’d just had his Bonzi Wells season – he needed to be paid.

Essendon relented and coughed up for the extra season, and Jake… well, he showed up to commence the 2022 season in worse shape than he did in 2021, and as a result, we saw him miss seven games, his numbers dropped across the board, and he sat on his pile of money thinking all was well with the world.

For the record, Jake Stringer was -3.3 in disposals, -0.5 in goals, and -1.8 in clearances in 2022. All the things that made him so fantastic to watch in 2021 evaporated in 2022.

So, what’s stopping him from stepping it back up in 2023?

Well, to put it bluntly, he doesn’t have to, so he won’t. It is not in his nature. Talk to me again in 12 months, and as he comes into a contract year, my guess is we’ll see Stringer in excellent shape as he attempts to extract a two-year deal when the Bombers only offer him one.

I’m happy for you to come back at me if this doesn’t play out – I am not afraid of being wrong, but if I am right, give me a nod on this one.

Bonzi Wells would.

https://themongrelpunt.com/afl-seaso...eason-preview/
    Darren Gaspar was also notorious for doing this.

Post Thanks / Like

Just checked in on the Saints board next door and wow do they not like Zaine already.

Can’t wait to see how bad they take it when he’s actually on the field for them.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

8. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Just checked in on the Saints board next door and wow do they not like Zaine already.

Can’t wait to see how bad they take it when he’s actually on the field for them.
    More.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post

What have they picked up on so far?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    What have they picked up on so far?
    To quote a Saints supporting mate who I regard as very fair minded "he's not fit, lacks intensity, weak in a contest, presented in poor condition after the break and is running a clear last in time trials". Lyon will not cop non competitive players.
    It's so important when you arrive at a club to come in with a hard working ethic and from what I'm hearing Zaine hasn't done that. He's going to have a long year.

12. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

To quote a Saints supporting mate who I regard as very fair minded "he's not fit, lacks intensity, weak in a contest, presented in poor condition after the break and is running a clear last in time trials". Lyon will not cop non competitive players.
    It's so important when you arrive at a club to come in with a hard working ethic and from what I'm hearing Zaine hasn't done that. He's going to have a long year.
    Zaine has obvious shortcomings in size for a KPD, athleticism and skill. However fitness, effort and intensity were never criticisms of his whilst at the dogs. It's a little strange as most players go to a new club with a point to prove.

14. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Zaine has obvious shortcomings in size for a KPD, athleticism and skill. However fitness, effort and intensity were never criticisms of his whilst at the dogs. It's a little strange as most players go to a new club with a point to prove.
    Maybe with a 3 year deal in place felt like he could finally ease up a bit and now is way behind the pack

16. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Maybe with a 3 year deal in place felt like he could finally ease up a bit and now is way behind the pack
    Crazy stuff to consider they gave a marginal player a 3 year deal.
    While it's probably at moderate payment range spread out over 3 years you might have identified why he has rocked up at Moorabbin with a half arsed attitude. Lyon and the coaches would have already had a very serious conversation with him.

Post Thanks / Like

Crazy stuff to consider they gave a marginal player a 3 year deal.
    While it's probably at moderate payment range spread out over 3 years you might have identified why he has rocked up at Moorabbin with a half arsed attitude. Lyon and the coaches would have already had a very serious conversation with him.
    I can see Zaine's contract being terminated at the end of this year and his final 2 years paid out. List spots are a premium and Ross will take no prisoners. Sounds like he is already nothing more than emergency break glass depth for this year, which they might need with their key position stocks already taking a hammering.

19. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I can see Zaine's contract being terminated at the end of this year and his final 2 years paid out. List spots are a premium and Ross will take no prisoners. Sounds like he is already nothing more than emergency break glass depth for this year, which they might need with their key position stocks already taking a hammering.
    Yep, despite the security of a 3 year deal unless Zaine tells them he is going to get serious and then backs it up I can see the Saints taking that action which would effectively tell the footy community he isn't capable of achieving a professional standard and his career will be over.