Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

I know it's easy to hate on Stringer, I've done it plenty because he's such an easy and large target (see I did it again) but it's just a shame we'll never see what a 10-12 kg lighter Jake might have been like. A freakish talent gone to waste in a largely mediocre career.
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Likes josie, chef, Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I listened to that today. While a lot of people don't like Kane he often makes some very valid points.
    Stringer has underachieved on his talent over a period of time and it should be called out.
    It is the contradictions that bring Kane undone. He will criticise Stringer in this case then use him as an example of a great player Bevo has lost a handle on. Obviously lots of angles to what happened with us but we are looking pretty vindicated right now.

4. Likes MrMahatma, jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Such a shame he hasn’t had the mental side of his game to support getting him in the right physical shape. All those years ago when we drafted him and the stories about how he’d worked so hard following breaking his leg had me convinced that would be one part of his game we’d never need to work on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I know it's easy to hate on Stringer, I've done it plenty because he's such an easy and large target (see I did it again) but it's just a shame we'll never see what a 10-12 kg lighter Jake might have been like. A freakish talent gone to waste in a largely mediocre career.
    We did see it. It was the last think Kyle Hartigan ever saw before his life was taken.

Honestly if 2015 was the best that Stringer possibly could’ve been then it’s a level few have reached. I just wish we didn’t fumble what in hindsight would have proven to be the pretty decent return we got for him.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

7. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That goal he kicked in the last qtr of the GF required a level of freakish skill that can only be done by a small handful of people in the game's history. He's a premiership hero of the club and we don't have many of those.

The added bonus for me is that he has predictably underperformed at the Hanger and given those pricks false hope and expectations. We stuffed the trade up a bit but we were never going to have a net loss becaue Jake simply lacks the total desire and dedication and ruthlessness to be the absolute best player he could have been - on raw talent, he could and should have consistently been at Dusty/Petracca levels. In truth, he peaked in late 2014 and the full 2015 season and he's barely shown intermittent glimpses since then (and usually only in a contract renewal year).

He will probably pull a massive season out next year when he is up for contract renewal again and then revert to type when the money is in the bank.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    In truth, he peaked in late 2014 and the full 2015 season and he's barely shown intermittent glimpses since then (and usually only in a contract renewal year).
    It's a real shame that he fell apart from mid 2016 and only showed some glimpses in the finals. We forget how good he was as a young player.

Some highlights from 2014 to 2016

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

10. Thanks macca thanked for this post
    Likes merantau, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    It's a real shame that he fell apart from mid 2016 and only showed some glimpses in the finals. We forget how good he was as a young player.

Some highlights from 2014 to 2016

Not sure if it's the colours or not, however he looks so much leaner in those highlights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I haven't forgotten. On pure talent, he is one of the most talented that I've ever seen. It's just a shame about his ability or desire to showcase that talent consistently.

His first goal in a NAB cup game at Docklands set us up for the ride that was to follow over the next few years. Stepped around a clueless opponent and snapped it through off the outside of his boot. The 2015 final when he kicked the goal to put us ahead (I think?). The Kyle Hartigan game. The Brisbane game where 3 people fell down trying to tackle him at the same time before he slotted the goal. The 2016 GF goal. He did some amazing things for us.

13. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I recall attending the Sydney game in 2015 and Stringer did something outstanding.

The Sydney supporter beside me remarked on his brilliance.

My comment was that he was the only threat to Bont being recognised as the best player in the comp.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

15. Likes EasternWest, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Not sure if it's the colours or not, however he looks so much leaner in those highlights.
    He only looks leaner because he was.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

17. Likes Grantysghost liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He was amazing. I'm sure he still could be but not sure he ever will be. Was prob my fave player in 15/16 and towards the end of 16 I was trying to convince everyone I knew he'd come good again. Supreme talent but you gotta say that each time he shows up unprepared, it proves Bevo even more correct to get rid of him.

I'm sure he'll still play some good footy. Hopefully not against us.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    We did see it. It was the last think Kyle Hartigan ever saw before his life was taken.

Honestly if 2015 was the best that Stringer possibly could’ve been then it’s a level few have reached. I just wish we didn’t fumble what in hindsight would have proven to be the pretty decent return we got for him.
    Agree with most of this, but the point is we saw the best of him at that time in his relatively nascent career.

Imagine what he would have been like with 5 or 6 more years of ultra professionalism?

Wew lad.

Post Thanks / Like

There should be mention of Kyle Hartigan's murder on his Wikipedia page but there isn't.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    There should be mention of Kyle Hartigan's murder on his Wikipedia page but there isn't.
    Be the change you want to see

Post Thanks / Like

I loved watching Jake Stringer. He had abilities that others didn’t. Great shame that he seems content to just go through the motions
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."