Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

The US sports fascination was easy to see if you listened to his podcasts. It is almost like they have a jealously of the lives that US Professional athletes live (and definitely the money they make).

AFL players train just as hard and play a sport that is brutal. However, we just don't have the market size to ever compete with the money on offer in the USA.

The other key point is, if they were actually born in the USA, the most probably would not have had enough talent to actually make it to the professional level (i.e. percentage of players who make it to the NFL compared to the AFL).

Dunks wants to play as long as he can and maximise his returns from the game. So understand his motivation. The one thing I think he doesn't understand fully is that our culture is different to the USA. We still value (albeit it is falling) players who stay loyal to their clubs than those who move for money.

How will the below players be loved and cherished by their supporter bases and the game as a whole.

J Selwood V P Dangerfield
    T Hawkins V J Cameron
    T Lynch V J Reiwoldt
    B Lake V J Roughead

2. Likes Grantysghost, macca, Dancin' Douggy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    I absolutely completely called that US sports thing feel free to run the tape back this one and only time.
    I did think of that immediately when I read that before I got bored a few sentences later. All credit to the mesiah

4. Likes Grantysghost, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If the players are so enamored with the US sporting landscape they should gladly accept being traded against their will to any team and city the clubs see fit then.

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder if Dinkley would be moving North if he had got to Essendon? Might be still in the middle of a contract.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    I love the bit how the change has worked wonders for Daniher. Has it? really? he's one of the most fair weather players there is. i haven't seen his performance or consistency increase form what he was doing at essendon.

Dunks, do us a favour, put a cork in it. the more you speak, the more you come across as a tool.

As for the lions, they have recruited very, very well and should be premiership favorites or close enough to. the only question is going to be if their defence holds up.
    Well his 18-20 seasons were so interrupted and poor the fact that he played a full season and then 19 games looks incredible. Still a ways off from his 2017 best. but at least 2 of his best 4 years have been his 2 at the Lions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I think it's already getting that way. I mean for me personally I would be still enraged that he left a few years ago. I still have animosity towards Callan Ward for leaving and he had lot$ more reasons to leave. It was just that time, it felt like betrayal then. Now if Callan left I would not lose any sleep. I was a bit pissy about Dunkley leaving but I got over it pretty quickly. Maybe I'm not that engrossed in this game as much as I used to be? That could be another reason?
    We screwed up the Ward negotiations.
    Dunkley has an idealized notion of US player movement which simply isn't the reality in Australia - and I don't think he'll be building 'brand Dunkley' anytime soon as the big names which cross-team followings are generally one club players
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes GVGjr, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The whole US sports comparison that occasionally gets called out just isn't viable here. It's not even remotely comparable. Our players would embrace the big pay packets but not the option of being traded without consent.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

11. Likes Sedat, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The whole US sports comparison that occasionally gets called out just isn't viable here. It's not even remotely comparable. Our players would embrace the big pay packets but not the option of being traded without consent.
    We don't want what other leagues have done to their sport. Look at the EPL with ridiculous money for trading players, and only a few clubs can win the Premiership. We have salary cap, drafting and trading which protects all clubs.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lachie Hunter talking about pre season https://www.zerohanger.com/it-is-lik...bourne-133266/

Post Thanks / Like

I've already got this TV...

Nice try Dosh!

Post Thanks / Like

Uuurrrggghhh......I just thought about the dull music he'd listen to without anything other than TV sound. Vommed in my mouth a little.

He really brought his charisma to the table with this one.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Uuurrrggghhh......I just thought about the dull music he'd listen to without anything other than TV sound. Vommed in my mouth a little.

He really brought his charisma to the table with this one.
    I want to give my TV back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Lachie Hunter talking about pre season https://www.zerohanger.com/it-is-lik...bourne-133266/
    Lachie managed to talk about his old club without denigrating it, take note Dunks.

19. Likes Sedat, josie, Bulldog Joe, Virgin-Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I see Brendan McCartney will act as a consultant to Macrae and the coaches at Collingwood this season

21. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Brad Lynch missed out on SSP selection after training with the Bombers (they ended up keeping the spot open) but has signed with their VFL team.