Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    He is being savaged by the delightful Bombres fans. For being overweight and being a KMart DeGoey.
    That’s cruel.

And funny.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He is being savaged by the delightful Bombres fans. For being overweight and being a KMart DeGoey.
    That's mean but it's also spot on.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    That's mean but it's also spot on.
    and it wasn't even me saying it
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve always said he just doesn’t have a tank it’s tiny. He can’t even try and get fit without blowing up. If he just looks at food he blows up.
    It’s sad the talent he has but his track record seems to suggest he has tiny lungs .
    He might be lazy as well which also adds to the problem, but with that many coaches and still gets games when not fit tells me something isn’t right. Some of those coaches would surely have pushed being fit .
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Bomber Blitz poster: "Stringer gave his all - for the first five minutes. But that's all he had." (Words to that effect)

It's sad to see really but could be a lot worse. Imagine if he re-produced his 2015 against us! That would be insufferable.
    He is a stone overweight and just cannot run fast any more. Can't break tackles like he used to because he can't generate momentum quickly enough off a few steps. Explosiveness is gone.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Bomber Blitz poster: "Stringer gave his all - for the first five minutes. But that's all he had." (Words to that effect)

It's sad to see really but could be a lot worse. Imagine if he re-produced his 2015 against us! That would be insufferable.
    He is a stone overweight and just cannot run fast any more. Can't break tackles like he used to because he can't generate momentum quickly enough off a few steps. Explosiveness is gone.
    There was a point Gardner tacked him but he didn't have a great grip. Hands around Stringers hips.

I think 'Stringer will burst through this' and then he just... didn't. Gardner held on and Stringer couldn't get away. In years gone by it was so hard to tackle him. Now it seems like he's lost his most important tool

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    There was a point Gardner tacked him but he didn't have a great grip. Hands around Stringers hips.

I think 'Stringer will burst through this' and then he just... didn't. Gardner held on and Stringer couldn't get away. In years gone by it was so hard to tackle him. Now it seems like he's lost his most important tool
    Fortunately Stringer has reserved some of his worst games or us which also makes you wonder about his competitive mongrel, as surely getting “up” against the club that dumped him, and against the players who’ve surpassed him, should motivate.
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Now it seems like he's lost his most important tool
    Depends on your perspective. If you're a Stringer fan, then yes. If you're Jake Stringer, then no
    "It's over. It's all over."

11. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Fortunately Stringer has reserved some of his worst games or us which also makes you wonder about his competitive mongrel, as surely getting “up” against the club that dumped him, and against the players who’ve surpassed him, should motivate.
    I think he did get up for 5 minutes int he first quarter, but that's all he has in him.
    Clearly playing with a niggle too but that's bound to happen if you play a few kgs over your best weight. Rumours he had a hot spot in his foot a few weeks back, and groin issues (which he's had a lot of in the past few years).

I find it much easier barracking for a limited type who gives 100% and is at least competitive, over a talented 'cruisy' type.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

We’ll always have 2015 and 2016 which were great years for the Package.

14. Likes macca, HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Scott told Stringer to run off libba in the middle. Stringer took it literally. Problem is he didn’t tell him not when libba has the ball !
    Bring back the biff

16. Likes HOSE B ROMERO liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    I think Scott told Stringer to run off libba in the middle. Stringer took it literally. Problem is he didn’t tell him not when libba has the ball !
    Scott tried to defend Stringer as declared fit , but not sure I would take that as face value . Saying your fit and applying pressure for 4 quarters is different. His got a few more months until contract year to sort himself out

Post Thanks / Like

This is worth a listen https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcas...=1000550597111

After he actually did some distance running and after his body adjusted, Stringer had his best season since 2015. With his career on the line entering the final year of a contract he finally got himself AFL fit. The following year, after securing a contract he dropped the longer distance running and concentrated on shorter sprints (I read that as lazy) and he didn't perform.

From the podcast ""It was more just get out and pound the pavement and learn how to (run long distances). Because before I probably hadn't ran over two kilometres straight in eight years,"

"I really enjoyed it, I learned to like running, whereas I used to hate running with a passion. I was running probably every second day, if not every day."

I have no doubt he is a natural explosive athlete, but anyone can improve their tank with enough work to be competitive at the game of AFL. He doesn't need to run a competitive marathon. He showed in 2021 that he could play a lot of minutes in the midfield after putting in the work.

In 2015 I thought a young Jake Stringer was as close to I have seen to someone who could develop Gary Ablett Snr like qualities. He did some amazing things that year. He was AA. It is still the season where he has had the most goals, kicks and marks.

That his third season, is still his best ever season tells you everything you need to know.

19. Likes bulldogtragic, jeemak, josie, Sedat, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macca View Post
    Scott tried to defend Stringer as declared fit , but not sure I would take that as face value . Saying your fit and applying pressure for 4 quarters is different. His got a few more months until contract year to sort himself out
    Everyone in the football world would know he was never going to get near Libba once the game was 5 min old , that’s his ceiling 5 minutes.
    I’m amazed they chased Tippa to come back as well .
    It’s hard enough having one bloke without a tank , let alone two .
    I am dumbfounded about that decision.
    Tippa has spent all season trying to get fit for what ?
    I watched him the other day he is as big as ever and has the same game as Jake.
    What a waste of a list spot he is.
    Could have given a kid a year of experience.
    I think it goes to show Essendon live in the past.
    Bring back the biff

21. Likes macca liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Everyone in the football world would know he was never going to get near Libba once the game was 5 min old , that’s his ceiling 5 minutes.
    I’m amazed they chased Tippa to come back as well .
    It’s hard enough having one bloke without a tank , let alone two .
    I am dumbfounded about that decision.
    Tippa has spent all season trying to get fit for what ?
    I watched him the other day he is as big as ever and has the same game as Jake.
    What a waste of a list spot he is.
    Could have given a kid a year of experience.
    I think it goes to show Essendon live in the past.
    It is such a glorious past.
    All that history when you could cheat your way to flags.

Why would they want to move into the 21st century.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured