Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Back in the day in interschool sports, a similar game was just called bat tennis *shrugs*

You had a fair idea of what you were playing!
    I remember playing that too DOW.

2. Likes Daughter of the West liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    Back in the day in interschool sports, a similar game was just called bat tennis *shrugs*

You had a fair idea of what you were playing!
    I always wondered where they got the name newcomb for that game that was a variant of volleyball.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I always wondered where they got the name newcomb for that game that was a variant of volleyball.
    Newcomb was invented yonks ago TD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomb_ball

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Newcomb was invented yonks ago TD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomb_ball
    So it's named after the college it was invented at.

We used to play it at Kingsville primary. One day all the flour leaked out of the silo at Cain's Bakery in Somerville road and we all looked like ghosts.

6. Likes josie, Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    So it's named after the college it was invented at.

We used to play it at Kingsville primary. One day all the flour leaked out of the silo at Cain's Bakery in Somerville road and we all looked like ghosts.
    I was not far away at Yarraville West primary Td.

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed this on linkedin from Hayden Crozier. Classy

My 12 year journey comes to a close. So many amazing friendships and memories that I’ll cherish for the rest of my life. I’m incredibly grateful that the Fremantle Dockers Football Club gave me the opportunity to fulfill a childhood dream back in 2011, and then the Western Bulldogs for providing me a chance to come home and play in front of family and friends. Two amazing football clubs that are made up of some of the best people you’ll meet. As one chapter closes, another one opens and I’m excited for what the future may hold.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I was not far away at Yarraville West primary Td.
    "Yarraville West is the best and the others are all pests"

11. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

'A bit disrespectful': Why new Swan opted to leave Dockers

SYDNEY recruit Joel Hamling has detailed the lengths to which the Swans went to entice him to the club, adding Fremantle's contract offer to stay at the Dockers was "a bit disrespectful".

The 30-year-old key defender has joined Sydney as an unrestricted free agent in order to beef up a backline that was left reeling last season by the sudden retirement of Paddy McCartin.

It is the West Australian's fourth club after he was drafted to Geelong in 2011 before he featured in a premiership in his two seasons at the Western Bulldogs and spent six years as a Docker.

While his travels have been plentiful, the Swans have kept a close eye on Hamling since taking an interest in him in his draft year more than a decade ago.

As they scoured the country for key defensive options at the end of the 2023 season, it was that relationship that helped lure him to New South Wales.

"I met Kinnear Beatson (Swans list and recruiting manager) 12 years ago in Perth. He interviewed me and we really liked it," Hamling told AFL.com.au.

"My manager was at a Sandringham game last season and Kinnear was there and asked what was going on with me. My manager said (I) might be out of Freo so it just eventuated like that.

"He came over to Perth and met me and spoke to my partner and it sounded really interesting.

"I never really wanted to leave Perth. I still had a contract there, but it wasn't as good as I would've liked. It was a bit disrespectful, to be honest."

That contract offer from the Dockers came after Hamling had managed just six AFL games in three seasons, which he believes led to a view that he was unwanted.

"I really enjoyed my time at Freo, they're a good club. But I don't think they thought anyone else would take me," he said.

"So they gave me a contract, it's probably bottom end but then someone else (Sydney) popped up. And then Freo come back with (an offer of) two years, but it didn't eventuate.

"I sort of had enough in the end and it was time to get out of there. So yeah, I packed up and took off to my fourth club."

Hamling's quality when fit has never been in question, but it's his ability to get his body right for the rigours of AFL football that will be a query for Swans fans.

Having barely featured at the top level in the last three years, the Swans are taking somewhat of a punt on him. But he's adamant any risk is minimal.

"It's a very interesting one. I hadn't missed a lot of footy in my career through injury and then I got a bad ankle injury and missed two and a half, three years," he said.

"I've never had a soft tissue injury, so the only risk is my left ankle. But the only thing sore in my body at the moment (is) just my right foot. But other than that, hamstrings, calves, everything feels quite good.

"I don't feel 30. I feel like I can run like an eighteen-year-old still. I'm really enjoying it. If I didn't like it, I would've just retired. I’ve been given one last crack by a team that you could say is in the (premiership) window, I'm really excited about the prospect."

The McCartin void has created an opportunity for Hamling at centre-half back, but he's aware of the competition for spots on the Sydney backline and is keen to prove his versatility to John Longmire and his coaching staff.

"Tom McCartin and the guys that have been playing are the base and I just sort of fit around that. There's some good players - Aaron Francis, Lewis Melican and Dane Rampe.

"I'm really enjoying just coming in and filling a role and probably giving a bit of leadership and advice. And if I'm playing third tall or I'm playing on a small, or I'm playing lock down, I'm just happy to play anywhere, really."

13. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds pretty entitled in wanting more from Fremantle given he's played about ten per cent of games the last few years.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeh, a one year offer for a 30 year old who has played 6 games in 3 years is perfectly fine.

Hope he can string together a few games at the Swans.

16. Likes EasternWest liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Crozier has signed on with the Surfers Paradise Demons in the QAFL for next season.

18. Thanks GVGjr, bornadog, josie thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay Smith has won his first "professional" boxing bout......

https://www.zerohanger.com/premiersh...g-bout-146338/
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

20. Thanks bornadog, GVGjr thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogfan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    Crozier has signed on with the Surfers Paradise Demons in the QAFL for next season.
    I suspect he will be a great signing for them - when you see guys like Croz play at the level below it often highlights to you just how good these guys are, and he always seemed a good clubman, turned up in shape ready to go etc

Post Thanks / Like

Roarke Smith and Billy Gowers have landed at Port Melbourne.

23. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    Roarke Smith and Billy Gowers have landed at Port Melbourne.
    One of Smith's player sponsors will be both delighted for him but also a touch disappointed he couldn't get him over to his local club.
    I believe he might have done a bit of work with the committee so they could put a tempting offer n front of him.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"