Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    First year as a recruiter and I think he was a part timer.
    I heard that he was given an instruction to land players who kicked the ball from point A to B quickly and that was part of the reason why he reached for Howard and then Tutt. Eade wanted players with that trait.
    I wonder why he picked guys that couldn't kick then?
    "It's over. It's all over."

2. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I think Dal did plenty good enough with his talent identification. Some picks you have to nail. Macrae, Stringer, Bont were those picks. He also did well with some later selections eg McLean, Daniel, Dunkley, etc who were factors in our premiership side. He?s not infallible (no one is) but he did well at our club probably with limited resources compared to some others.

The list management vs talent identification is an interesting one. I assume the list manager and coach set the strategy for types of players or attributes we want and then the recruiting team complete their evaluations and make recommendations on who fits the bill. In many ways you can?t succeed without both parties doing their bit and getting it right.
    It actually still gets me down a bit how phenomenal Stringer could have been.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Has Rohan Smith landed another gig?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    So, you lay the blame at Dalrymples feet for drafting Howard and putting forward that someone else identified and said let?s draft Bontempelli? In the Bont scenario who is the mystery shooter?

Quote Originally Posted by Grantysghost View Post
    No I wasn't AB. Was trying to untangle why he's so highly regarded is all.
    Ha mystery shooter. I'm all over JFK at the moment, reading a great book about the Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missile crisis.
    That Oliver Stone movie should come with a massive disclaimer (not based on anything in our universe), LHO did it and did it alone as he was a nut.
    I digress, no it wasn't a loaded question.

Ironically it was JFK who said that victory has 100 fathers and defeat is an orphan which is the quote that best fits here
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Ironically it was JFK who said that victory has 100 fathers and defeat is an orphan which is the quote that best fits here
    Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan.

That and the true meaning behind Hans Christian Andersen's The Emperor's New Clothes are two of the main lessons I've taken from my roughly twenty years working life.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I talked to Simon at a presentation B-Mac gave the player sponsors in the ELC and I'm not sure if he said it anywhere else since but at the time JJ was the late selection he was most proud of.
    He picked JJ when JJ couldn't get in the WA colts team if I remember correctly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan.

That and the true meaning behind Hans Christian Andersen's The Emperor's New Clothes are two of the main lessons I've taken from my roughly twenty years working life.
    Actually...

Kennedy used the "victory" quote which was a slight variation on the original "success" quote that was originally thought to be said by George Washington but is now thought to have been said by Mussolini's son in law Galeazzo Ciano.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I was watching one of the new 60 year JFK doco’s in in those post bay of pigs pressers where he said that line, he also said one of my new favourite quotes. “An error doesn’t become a mistake until you refuse to correct it”.

I think that’s equally apt. We cut Howard quick enough for a first rounder.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    He picked JJ when JJ couldn't get in the WA colts team if I remember correctly.
    Matty Boyd out of Frankston seconds too IIRC. A 19 year old playing VFL 2s was an incredible pick.

His successor came close to grabbing Anthony Scott straight out of the ammos (we eventually got him into our VFL program for a year first) so there are some leftfield successes.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

First year as a recruiter and I think he was a part timer.
    I heard that he was given an instruction to land players who kicked the ball from point A to B quickly and that was part of the reason why he reached for Howard and then Tutt. Eade wanted players with that trait.
    Also selected the Magic Man, Shane Thorne, with a late pick that year - he disappeared even quicker than the Lambada.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    Matty Boyd out of Frankston seconds too IIRC. A 19 year old playing VFL 2s was an incredible pick.

His successor came close to grabbing Anthony Scott straight out of the ammos (we eventually got him into our VFL program for a year first) so there are some leftfield successes.
    Wasn't Boyd was well before Dalrymple's time?

14. Thanks hujsh thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Wasn't Boyd was well before Dalrymple's time?
    Would have to be Clayton surely

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Would have to be Clayton surely
    Dalrymple was the recruiting manager from 2010 to early 2018. He was a development coach before that.
    Boyd arrived in 2015 but his recruitment would have been more due to Ryan Griffen's departure and Jason McCartney as the list manager.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Dalrymple was the recruiting manager from 2010 to early 2018. He was a development coach before that.
    Boyd arrived in 2015 but his recruitment would have been more due to Ryan Griffen's departure and Jason McCartney as the list manager.
    We were referring to Matt, not Tom

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    We were referring to Matt, not Tom
    You mean Brad, no…?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Thanks Sedat thanked for this post