Thanks Thanks:  373
Likes Likes:  2,202
Page 32 of 291 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637383940414282132 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

New Tahs coach Michael McLean promises hard work and harmony as he rebuilds the club

MICHAEL McLean has promised to rebuild NTFL club Waratah from the ground up after being appointed senior coach at Gardens Oval for the next three seasons.

The 51-year-old has previously coached at rival Premier League clubs Nightcliff (two grand finals) and Southern Districts and brings with him a wealth of on and off field experience.

A 183-game playing career at the Western Bulldogs and Brisbane, the inaugural captain of the indigenous All-Stars and later the side’s coach, a senior premiership with Districts and Division One club Tracy Village and the inaugural coach of Territory Thunder are all on his resume.

And in a twist, he is returning to the club he played under-16 football with in the mid 1970s.

Asked if he could resurrect Waratah from two disappointing seasons and create a winning club culture, McLean said he was ready for the challenge.

“I hope so, I believe in what I do as a coach and to do that you need support and hopefully that will be in place at Waratahs,’’ he said.

“I’m getting the vibes that there will be plenty of it around here, so hopefully we’ll all be on the same page and heading in the same direction.

“My goal is to be super competitive from the start and hit the ground running and from that build a core group of senior players up again.

“I just hope people are patient, success doesn’t happen overnight but with the right attitude and a lot of hard work this club can get back up again.’’

A staff development mentor with the highly successful Stars Foundation schools engagement program for indigenous girls, McLean is a big fan of teamwork, harmony and trust.

“All the sides I’ve coached over the years, nine times out of 10 they’ve been super competitive with a will to win and to play for each other,’’ he said.

“All the positives are here at Waratahs, the infrastructure is here, it’s a proud club that’s 100 years old and it’s a very important year.

“And while I’m keen to keep our Thunder players like Justin Beugelaar, Sam Talbot and Sam Godden, there is the Jake Smarts, James Wray, Iain MacPherson, all of whom are very important to the footy club.’’

Mclean is still unsure on a start date for pre-season training, though he wants it be inside a 10 to 12-week window before the start of the 2016-17 campaign.

One thing is certain, we have to start a bit earlier than normal because of the situation the club is in at the moment,’’ he said.

Acting club president Trevor Oliver is confident McLean is the answer to Waratahs’ prayers.

“We all believe Mago can do the job and get this club back to where it belongs, it’s why we’ve given him the job,’’ Oliver said.

2. Likes Testekill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

McLean was before my time as a Bulldog (born in 89) but it's always great to see players giving back to the communities that they came from.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Testekill View Post
    McLean was before my time as a Bulldog (born in 89) but it's always great to see players giving back to the communities that they came from.
    He was a great player. Madge on one wing and the Hawk on the other with Steve Wallis in the middle was a handy centreline for us.

I can't remember him ever being pinged for holding the ball he was next to impossible to tackle.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

5. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Liam Jones disposals in his three weeks in the seniors 2016: 8, 9, 8. Even with all his game time he hasn't cracked double digits this season, despite his team winning.

Edit: I've done some investigating...

The last time he got more than 10 touches in an AFL game was Round 13, 2014. That's nearly two years!

For ease, let's say Liam is half way into his contract, so about $500,000 salary in his bank account. Carltons return on investment for disposal per AFL games played is: 6, 5, 8, 9, 8, 9, 9, 5, 6, 8, 9, 6. Or 88 total AFL possessions in 18 months in total with Carlton paying $5,681.81 per possession.

Or $500,000 to be the goal scoring 'beast' KPF. 12 games for 11.11. That's $45,455 per goal over 18 months.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 07-05-2016 at 06:02 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

7. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Carlton looked better when they didn't kick it in his vicinity .
    He's doing a good job getting to where the ball ain't .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post

Thanks Jack.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Sacrificing his game for the betterment of the team.
    Playing the ultimate forward decoy,what a great team player.

Post Thanks / Like

Say what you like about his lack of goals and touches but Carlton are 3-0 with lame jones in the side. Secret weapon. Stealth bomber.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Liam Jones disposals in his three weeks in the seniors 2016: 8, 9, 8. Even with all his game time he hasn't cracked double digits this season, despite his team winning.

Edit: I've done some investigating...

The last time he got more than 10 touches in an AFL game was Round 13, 2014. That's nearly two years!

For ease, let's say Liam is half way into his contract, so about $500,000 salary in his bank account. Carltons return on investment for disposal per AFL games played is: 6, 5, 8, 9, 8, 9, 9, 5, 6, 8, 9, 6. Or 88 total AFL possessions in 18 months in total with Carlton paying $5,681.81 per possession.

Or $500,000 to be the goal scoring 'beast' KPF. 12 games for 11.11. That's $45,455 per goal over 18 months.
    I appreciate the effort gone into following our ex's with this.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

13. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I appreciate the effort gone into following our ex's with this.
    You're welcome. I just worked out his AFL average over 2 years (round 8 2014 - now), 7 disposals and less than a goal a game. I feel very, very silly wanting the club to retain him at the end of 2014.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

15. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome. I just worked out his AFL average over 2 years, 7 disposals and less than a goal a game. I feel very, very silly wanting the club to retain him at the end of 2014.
    Truly grateful. This is really good anti-Carlton supporter ammunition hehe. And doesn't seem to be improving much either.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Truly grateful. This is really good anti-Carlton supporter ammunition hehe. And doesn't seem to be improving much either.

With 2017 still to come on the contract. God I love mick Malthouse and his penchant for coaching for results now at all costs.

Post Thanks / Like

Higgins out for 12 weeks.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Higgins out for 12 weeks.
    Shame for him personally. But North knew this day would come.

Post Thanks / Like

Shame for him personally. But North knew this day would come.
    I don't think we ever had a season without a significant Higgins injury during his time here. Last season he did well to hold together. Hope he recovers without any issues! I've never had an problem with Higgins while he was here or after he left, the only thing I hate is he plays for Norf.

21. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post