Thanks Thanks:  372
Likes Likes:  2,190
Page 7 of 289 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757107 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Following our ex's...................

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Dennis Pagan is a real estate salesman too, or was one not long ago.
    I think Den is more into rural property, Pagan's Paddocks!

Post Thanks / Like

Was good to see Shaun Higgins kick the sealer against the team that was involved in that research programme a couple of years back. Just as long as he doesn't kick a goal against us! It was a pity he lost his way after such a promising start with us. I guess onjuries had a bit to do with it. He did play some good games off half-back for us towards the end.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Was good to see Shaun Higgins kick the sealer against the team that was involved in that research programme a couple of years back. Just as long as he doesn't kick a goal against us! It was a pity he lost his way after such a promising start with us. I guess onjuries had a bit to do with it. He did play some good games off half-back for us towards the end.
    Fair call. But he and the former coach not seeing eye to eye had a lot to do with it. Admitedly, him not doing what the old coach wanted was some part if it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Higgo is one that I feel no animosity towards. His career had stagnated and it was better for both parties to move on.

I reckon he'll get a shock at the lift in intensity when he comes up against us.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

A few different media folk have said Tutt was dropped for 'attitude reasons'. Not sure what that means.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

A fit and confident Higgins is shining at North this year, not off half back.

I guess that's another player position change that is working this year: Wood, Grant, Boyd, Dahl, Roughy, Picken, Wallis, Higgins.

Hard not to be critical of the past coach when the natural talent of players on the list last year rises to a new level.

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you mean but he left us some pretty good traits instilled in some bloody good players. I wasn't much of a fan either but he's due at least part of the Cup.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

8. Likes chef, FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The drafting under McCartney really was great too you have to say.

10. Likes The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not saying Macca didn't do anything good. But the mammoth improvement in players who used to player under him this year is breath takingly staggering. Wood, Grant, Dahl, Wally, Higgins, Boyd and Picken are arguably having their career best form. Our improvement (and Higgins improvement) is not due to incremental growth from young players, it is coming from these players who are now playing more natural footy, in positions that marry their skills sets for the betterment of the side. The common theme seems to be not being played essentially out of position by the (ex) coach.

12. Likes bornadog, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

But maybe they are better players because of their experience under Macca playing in different positions or back at Footscray working on aspects of their game?

But the improvement this year has been immense.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting take on things from Higgins himself:

"I've always thought that's where I played my best footy, but I probably haven't got my body in a position to be able to play that in the modern game ,where it's probably the hardest-working position on the ground," Higgins said on Monday night as a guest on Fox Footy's On The Couch, which in itself is an endorsement of his season.
    "All the ducks have lined up over the past 12 months and my footy is where I always wished it would be," he said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...#ixzz3iUKogtSo

I look at Dahl and Wally and think this is where they'd have been under previous administrations given our midfield injuries and losses this year. There's no doubt the latter has blossomed with continuity this year, but he was showing signs of being more than a negative player in patches between injuries last year. Dahl is making me look sillier by the day.

Picken has been a surprise, as has Boyd and the new coach really should be commended for seeing something in each of these players not many would have.

Wood had to play under a coaching team who rightly thought others like Roberts and Talia weren't ready for senior football consistently last year and didn't have Hamling to use, and I don't think any sane person would have used him as a key defender if they had viable alternatives to work with.

Roughead is the interesting one, his efforts in the ruck this year have been overrated and it will be interesting to see how his career progresses in the short to medium term.

Grant played his career best football under McCartney at the end of 2013, and was cruelled by injury and terrible output last year when he finally got his chances. He's also been dropped after indifferent form early in the year this year, and it's great he's now putting consistently productive games together.

Post Thanks / Like

Nathan Brown - I want to play finals
    Adam Cooney - I want to play in front of big crowds
    Rhyanne Gryphon - I want a new start and want to play in finals

Sir Michael said it best: You cant always get what you want.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 15-08-2015 at 08:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Rylee Gruffknuckle personally.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

17. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Griffin's a shadow of himself .
    Probably a bit harsh on a shadow, as I'm sure it shows better leadership.
    Higgins has been excellent, but against the big boys (forwhere North have recruited specifically for) he didn't fire a shot .
    Finals will be interesting

19. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Nathan Brown - I want to play finals
    Adam Cooney - I want to play in front of big crowds
    Rhyanne Gryphon - I want a new start and want to play in finals

Sir Michael said it best: You cant always get what you want.
    The spongey surface says hello