Thanks Thanks:  28
Likes Likes:  169
Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The 2015 Version of J. Grant

Round 2:

A rolling look at Grant:

1. Sitting a kick back on HB, zoning too. Gets free spot poor kicked and a pack spoils
    2. Just later sees boys in trouble near boundary on def 50. Sprints 50 metres to other side of ground to start play. Gets back kick from Dahl and it goes out of bounds.
    3. Great kick on centre wing to hit a team mate on the chest
    4. Sprinted 50m back with a man to Richmond goal square, and then signalled the defensive zone to others
    5. Brought kick out to ground, set up a run and kept sprinting with the play
    6. Zoned between two players & Griffiths forced to take harder shot than a give off. Point only.
    7. With a stoppage, he ran down to play in the forward press
    8. Grant desperate on ground after stoppage to get the clearance, but ball bounced wrong way
    9. Grant, after sprinting back, kills a ball over the boundary between two Tigers after a big momentum switch in their forward line.
    10. Intercept marks a kick out from them, runs inside 50, has a shot just misses. Sprints back.
    11. We got the ball after a kick in. Grant sprinted 50 metres to burn them for a Coast to Coast, had his defender dead but another gave a free kick away. Would've had a shot if not for the stupid free.
    12. Zoning really well. Running from wing to wing.
    13. Around stoppages he's clearly not told to get contested, he's the release valve
    14. Setting up zone defence at a stoppage. Seems to really understand how it's meant to be set up. He seems to be an extra along the 50 as a part of it

2nd quarter
    1. Bonts missed Grant in a contest, was free to run and set up
    2. Got a mark on the back 50. Seems to gravitate around there when we are under pressure in the back half.
    3. Great tackle on the wing. Got back up for the secondary contest
    4. Grant went hard, got a stoppage and team mate got a free. Manic he was.
    5. Standing in the hole stopping Riewoldt passing, and he misses the goal. Set up zone too.
    6. Again when they have the ball, he runs straight back their 50, in the corridor. This is now an instruction. You can he automatically goes there.
    7. Amazing handball only he could get out, and set up an attack forward.
    8. Grant sprinted down, and got confused with Dickson as to who was marking, should've been a mark and shot to either.
    9. Immediately back up with a big tackle.
    10. Grant back to back 50 in the corridor, corralling them.
    11. Lays some physical stuff
    12. Goes back to same spot. When there's a contest he comes down just off the pack. Richmond have spot and ran hard at the kicker. Missed the shot.
    13. Great run, marks in the centre circle and quick hands sets JJ for a big kick. Dahl gives free.
    14. Richmond counter attack, Grant gets to the contest, amazing hands to Minno and set up a counter attack for us

3rd Quarter
    1. Sprinted from back 50 to forward 50, he and Stringer were both put. Stringer got the kick, and then kicked on the full. Was a long sprint.
    2. Shepard's in a chain forward
    3. Grant kicks inside 50. Goes out, goal from ball in
    4. Moved forward as Ayce has done nothing.
    5. But has run to half back for a throw in. Gut running he is.
    6. Following and crowding contests in the def 50
    7. Grant sprinted 80 metres as we ran with the ball, a skill turnover goes against him swarming into an open goal.He would've run into an open goal. But not stopping, gut ran back. He's really taking the game on with running
    8. Jarrad sprints 70-80 from beyond cente to run into the goal square. The kick would have missed the goal. Jarrad kicks the goal, goes to game high 28 point lead. Great work.
    9. Team tackle gets stoppage. Then gets a hard ball and gets tackled himself, by two.
    10. Gave a free away for chopping arms on the wing

4th quarter
    1. Grants other apparent instruction is sitting 5-10 off packs. Not all getting contested footy and no one to give it to.
    2. Back to corridor on def 50. He owns this spot today.
    3. Tim Watsom says Grants been an influential defender
    4. Grant lays shepheard for Bonts to run on with momentum. Goal at end on chain.
    5. Grant holds a contest, tackled by 2.
    6. Grant gets ball from the ball up, kicks forward.
    7. Dahl misses a mark at 50 with a good spoil. Grant had sprinted to get himself free 20m straight in front for a certain goal. Not to be.
    8. Stayed forward, good running patterns and taking Morris away from the contest.
    9. Massive sprint forward in a wave, bad bounce, otherwise running into have a shot again
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Raw Toast, ratsmac, boydogs, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes Happy Days, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The 2015 Version of J. Grant

If Bevo said to Grant:

- Defend the corridor through the centre, corral them don't them come through you at D50. He did this team role.
    - Take your tackle and give them when you can. Try to smoother, lay physical pressure. He did his team role.
    - Sit off contests to give us a release valve and set up zones and sit in the hole when you can. He did this today.
    - Use your quick hands to speed us up. Tick again.
    - Run your arse off. If you see the game open up, sprint forward, burn your opponent, get inside 50 and get shots on goal. Turn 50/50 shots into certain goals to reward the team effort. Defend and hurt them on the scoreboard. Tick.
    - Still keep your opponent as ineffectual as you can. Tick.

I thought he played a role and did it well. If not for a bad bounce and skill errors, he could've kicked 4 he ran so hard from HBF deep forwards to get alone and position to certain goal. Some days you get 1.1 and other 4.1. That's amazing running both ways and still got 1.1 off the HBF in a complete team role still. I think the Hawthorn assistant coaches will look into this.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

BT great analysis but you will get all the non believers doing just that, non believing no matter what you say.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Grant holds his spot in the side for the balance of the season, as I have some serious concerns about how you would react if he doesn't, BT.

I haven't watched the replay yet (will do so this morning) however my impression from being at the game was his performance was only OK yesterday, however he did work hard both offensively and defensively, which was pleasing.

The goal he kicked was the result of a great running effort. He was an option through the corridor which (forgive me) Bob seemed to miss as he went down the line, but because of Bob not seeing him, he was able to stream forward and get on the end of what ended up being an easy goal.

His work rate is much improved, but the stats assist telling his story from yesterday. 10 disposals, one contested, 3 clangers and disposal efficiency of 60%. The 'second tackler' stat you have coined is an interesting one - I will look out for it when I watch the replay this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

The most comprehensive defense of a player's performance I have ever seen.

For what its worth, to me he looks a different player to the deep forward role he was played in for 6 or so years - it's like we have another positive addition to the playing list.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I am a fan.

He is doing his bit, without being exceptional. If Grant ends up being just a foot soldier in a very good team, I'd be very pleased that our floor and ceilings are very high.

Post Thanks / Like

Grant is a good footballer.

I never understood why having a pre-season (and the first 7 weeks of the season proper) ruined counts as an excuse for every other player but not for him.

I think he has a lot to offer the side and is comfortably in the best 22. His gut running efforts and determination should put that old "laconic" chestnut to bed, at the very least.
    Last edited by Happy Days; 12-04-2015 at 12:49 PM.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

9. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone watching the replay, how many marks did Richmond take inside 50 or run through down the centre?

My recollection is not many and Grant played the role blocking it. I think their marks were wide and not many running goals. There's no stats for that, and I think it's inspired by Bevo. Grant is tall enough to spoil a KPF and quick enough to corral the space. Add in gut running like a tsunami to hit the scoreboard is a great move. He put himself in 5 or 6 areas to score goals but it wasn't to be this week. Another week if he replicates the effort, he could kick 4 from HBF.

I think the coaching review should be good. Stats don't say his many times he organised the zone, drew players out, stood in the hole, forced the opposition to go around his blocking and team blocking at CHB or how many 50-100 sprints he did all game. He's not a contested footy machine or KPF. But he doesn't have to be to make the team dangerous. Look at what occurred not just stats.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 12-04-2015 at 03:52 PM.

11. Likes Happy Days, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Anyone watching the replay, how many marks did Richmond take inside 50 or run through down the centre?

My recollection is not many and Grant played the role blocking it. I think they're marks were wide and not many running goals. There's no stats for that, and I think it's inspired by Bevo. Grant is tall enough to spoil a KPF and quick enough to corral the space. Add in gut running like a tsunami to hit the scoreboard is a great move. He put himself in 5 or 6 areas to score goals but it wasn't to be this week. Another week if he replicates the effort, he could kick 4 from HBF.

I think the coaching review should be good. Stats don't say his many times he organised the zone, drew players out, stood in the whole, forced the opposition to go around his blocking and team blocking at CHB or how many 50-100 sprints he did all game. He's not a contested footy machine or KPF. But he doesn't have to be to make the team dangerous. Look at what occurred not just stats.
    If we're going to play the style of football it looks like we are then there is going to be room for a true centreman. Given his attributes and workrate (~!) Grant is as good a choice as any.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

He plays well and he stays in the side. He's doing OK at the moment.

He does give us a point of difference with his improved intensity, height and pace - hopefully he can keep improving and building. He doesn't have to be a star, he just needs to contribute and he is. His versatility is handy and I like we've pshed him up the ground because he's actually very astute in tight packs with his tackling and great clean hands.

10-15 possessions per game with great defensive intent = a game every week.

14. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice work BT

When I first saw what you had done my thinking was it would just be turning 10 touches into 50 by embellishing every involvement, without doing the same for anyone else

When I read it though it seemed clear that he was Bevo's answer to the coast to coast goals we conceded against West Coast, and a great option for that role. He's quick, to be able to get back into position, and he's tall, to contest the high ball. He's also got good skills to be used as an option coming out of defense, and can sprint forward when we are rebounding ourselves.

We need him more involved in the game though. He's a good user of the ball, you want him to be getting 20+ touches when he is playing up the ground not 10. Does he not know where to run or find space, are his team mates ignoring him, is he not working hard enough?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Nice work BT

When I first saw what you had done my thinking was it would just be turning 10 touches into 50 by embellishing every involvement, without doing the same for anyone else

When I read it though it seemed clear that he was Bevo's answer to the coast to coast goals we conceded against West Coast, and a great option for that role. He's quick, to be able to get back into position, and he's tall, to contest the high ball. He's also got good skills to be used as an option coming out of defense, and can sprint forward when we are rebounding ourselves.

We need him more involved in the game though. He's a good user of the ball, you want him to be getting 20+ touches when he is playing up the ground not 10. Does he not know where to run or find space, are his team mates ignoring him, is he not working hard enough?
    It was just the game. He was missed a bit, a couple of bad bounces and skill errors in getting it to him. That's just footy. This week if the effort is replicated and those things go for him, he gets 16-20 touches and kicks 3-4 goals. Now if he gets that day, opposition teams will have to shut him down and then release Bobby. It's the effort that is the key, and if gut runs like that every week on top of his role, then he will have real hurt factor. I think I counted 3 times he was in/on 50 with no opponent between him and the goals, but just got the 1. If Grant and teammates in Grant get confidence in him, it will be interesting.

And I liked his celebration with Stringer, with the double low 5. Clearly an 'in' joke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    He plays well and he stays in the side. He's doing OK at the moment.

He does give us a point of difference with his improved intensity, height and pace - hopefully he can keep improving and building. He doesn't have to be a star, he just needs to contribute and he is. His versatility is handy and I like we've pshed him up the ground because he's actually very astute in tight packs with his tackling and great clean hands.

10-15 possessions per game with great defensive intent = a game every week.
    Sometimes supporters expect every player to be a superstar and amass 25 disposals every week. As you say need foot solders to do their job
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thought he was reasonable yesterday ( you don't get the same perspective on the box) he adds to our mid size forward strength.
    Someone can get off the leash, as Dickson did yesterday .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    BT great analysis but you will get all the non believers doing just that, non believing no matter what you say.
    You might be onto something. Dickson has been labelled a one trick pony and like Grant should now be winning our fans over.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"