Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bulldogs Fan Ejected Due to Homophobic Slur

Guys, we're getting awfully political here. Let's keep on topic. I don't want to have to delete posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Contradicts Law View Post
    BT will be filthy about this, one fan may have just cost us a crack at the in form backman of the comp!
    Rance: "Look, Jason, I like what you've put forward here, the money is just about right, I like the club and the boys and the team, I think you're in for some success and I'd really love to come aboard. However, back in Round 2 some twit sprouted a homophobic remark, so I'm going to stay at Richmond. Good luck in 2016."

Post Thanks / Like

from The Age

A Western Bulldogs cheer squad member was wrongly evicted from the MCG after being mistakenly identified as the person who made a homophobic comment during Saturday's clash between the Bulldogs and Richmond.

The matter came to light after the real perpetrator made contact with the Bulldogs, admitting to having made the remark. The supporter also contacted the Tigers to apologise.

While it is unclear how the fan will be punished, the Dogs are renowned for taking a strict stance on member behaviour, with their board having ratified a code of conduct for members in 2013.

The issue originally came to light after a Richmond player alerted security that he had heard the remark.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

As a COMPLETE aside, getting wrongly kicked out for doing nothing is completely lacking in any natural justice of fairness. Punished for doing nothing wrong and potentially having their requitation potentially defamed, doesn't sit well with me.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    As a COMPLETE aside, getting wrongly kicked out for doing nothing is completely lacking in any natural justice of fairness. Punished for doing nothing wrong and potentially having their requitation potentially defamed, doesn't sit well with me.
    Has he got a case for compensation?

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

It depends on what sort of compensation I suppose.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

I would prefer they write down names and give warnings rather than kicking people out, straight away.
    As proven with this story, in a sea of people you can easily get it wrong. What's to stop opposition supporters making up lies?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Same here. The indignity of being paraded out of the ground for doing nothing wrong could have people considering coming back to the game.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I would prefer they write down names and give warnings rather than kicking people out, straight away.
    As proven with this story, in a sea of people you can easily get it wrong. What's to stop opposition supporters making up lies?
    That's exactly what happened to a group of us 2 years ago.
    Essendon fan ( humourless lot as per usual) after a mate made a comment about peptides, dobbed us in wrongly accused of racial slurs. Utter utter disgrace

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Same here. The indignity of being paraded out of the ground for doing nothing wrong could have people considering coming back to the game.
    I would be concerned some smart arse could get me kicked out. If said SA decides his team is losing and wants to take vengeance on me, he can text the number to security, make the allegation and I'm kicked out and potentially banned. Nothing I can do.

I ejected many people in my former career, but always on my vision or under instruction from the S/Sgt. controlling the eye in the sky. If security or police heard it and would testify if required, then it's different. But I have a personal issue with issuing a penalty (ejection) without proof, on hearsay and/or meeting any evidential burden. Natural justice should dictate they take the names, investigate it and once the burden of proof for banning is met, throw bans at them.

I'm sure the specifics might have a grey area, but it highlights that the system has flaws and could be abused.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't imagine so at a crunch. Injury and/or defamation laws are getting tighter and tighter in my estimation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Essendon fan ( humourless lot as per usual) after a mate made a comment about peptides, dobbed us in wrongly accused of racial slurs. Utter utter disgrace
    Wouldn't expect anything less from Essendon scurge of the earth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I would be concerned some smart arse could get me kicked out. If said SA decides his team is losing and wants to take vengeance on me, he can text the number to security, make the allegation and I'm kicked out and potentially banned. Nothing I can do.

I ejected many people in my former career, but always on my vision or under instruction from the S/Sgt. controlling the eye in the sky. If security or police heard it and would testify if required, then it's different. But I have a personal issue with issuing a penalty (ejection) without proof, on hearsay and/or meeting any evidential burden. Natural justice should dictate they take the names, investigate it and once the burden of proof for banning is met, throw bans at them.

I'm sure the specifics might have a grey area, but it highlights that the system has flaws and could be abused.
    I'm just shocked and bemused that a policy or initiative pushed by the AFL could end up with unintended consequences, that could potentially be abused by underhanded types.

Lucky that sort of thing never happens on the field of play, and the game and participants remain pure in intent at all times.

15. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't imagine so at a crunch. Injury and/or defamation laws are getting tighter and tighter in my estimation.
    Well at least the club could perhaps give him something, maybe a free pass to visit the rooms after the game. (PR exercise)

I would be livid I missed a great win like that if t was me.

Post Thanks / Like

Well at least the club could perhaps give him something, maybe a free pass to visit the rooms after the game. (PR exercise)

I would be livid I missed a great win like that if t was me.

That's the sort of compensation that will probably be offered.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.