Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Round 2 Mea Culpa

me·a cul·pa (mā′ə ko͝ol′pə, kŭl′-, mē′ə)
    n.
    An acknowledgment of a personal error or fault.
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mea+culpa

Frankly, after losing Libba and 800 odd games experience players including our captain) and a rookie coach, I thought we were rooted for 2015.

Gladly, it looks like I was wrong. In particular, there were certain players I thought would be crap and/or delisted this year.

Again, so far, I was wrong:

M Boyd - wanted him delisted, shocking disposal and didn't fit into plans. After two close BOGs and a move to the back line, got that wrong.

Grant - never been really impressed, thought he was soft. Wrong again so far.

Talia and Roughead - never thought either was a key defender's arsehole but both have been really good this year so far. Wrong again.

Wallis - never a fan. At best thought he was average with some guts. But this year, with us without Libba, he has been a revelation. Really impressive. Wrong again.

Dickson - thought he would pushed out by some of the young guns like Hunter and Hrovat. Wrong again.

Jong - has guts, but thought not AFL standard. So far impressive. And how was THAT mark not a mark?

What have you got wrong so far?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

2. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 2 Mea Culpa

1) surprised by Dickson - really thought he was finished - one trick pony, B-Mac recruit no place in our best 22

2) Jong was one I felt would not be able to carry his VFL form into the AFL - so far he has

3) Honeychurch - really has stepped up. Thought he would be the one to make way for guys like Hrovat anf Hunter - not likely!

Post Thanks / Like

Dickson, really impressed.
    Boyd to half back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I thought MBoyd's days were numbered. The club refused to give him any more than a one year contract (right decision).

So far he is doing very well and surprised many.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    What have you got wrong so far?
    I thought after losing Libba we'd go backwards and finish second last. Now I think we'll climb out of the bottom 4 and pleasingly, finish above Carlton.

Still expecting the odd blowout but we're going to learn a lot about our list this year.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Its great to see supporters up and about following a couple of wins. The boys have played a good couple of games. But i think a few are getting carried away with expectation after a 'good start'. We could easily lose the next 4 games. What will the response be about the team then? Also. To single individual players out like m. Boyd is harsh. Hes been a club captain and a gun tor years. Agree he is a butcher of a kick tho. Hahahaa. Keep ya panties on lads. Its a long season.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I was one to predict finals before round 1 and I don't understand why so many are still not ready to believe.

We have 2 wins and have the following games

St Kilda by 2
    Melbourne by 2
    Giants
    Brisbane by 2
    Carlton
    Collingwood
    Gold Coast

Win those (and I concede we may lose some) and we only require ONE other victory from the rest of the season to play finals.

That is 1 win from
    Port Adelaide by 2
    Adelaide (Etihad)
    West Coast (Perth)
    Fremantle (Etihad)
    North Melbourne
    Essendon
    Geelong (Geelong)
    Hawthorn (Tas)
    Sydney (Sydney)

That means if we lose any of the first group we simply need to win 1 extra from the second group to get to finals.

So winning 2 of the next 5 puts us right in finals mix. Any more and we are nearly sure of it.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I have never rated Dickson beyond him being an efficient kick for goal. Just hasn't got involved enough IMO. He's a different player this year...just seems so much fitter and gets involved so much more offensively and defensively. Not saying I was wrong but I'm much more hopeful about him now than I was previously.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Dickson's pace and his lack of ability to influence games. He was sensational on Saturday exactly when he needed to be. He kicked critical goals and kept scoreboard pressure on the Tigers.

Ayce Cordy. I thought he would really take the bull by the horns on Saturday and make an impact but he didn't. I fear I may be wrong about him and that he simply won't improve.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Honeychurch - not that I thought he wasn't up to it, just surprised that he made the round 1 side and then went on to be so impressive
    Talia - similar to the above...was maybe more *hoping* he'd make it. Feel a lot more confident of that now.

Always thought Dickson could play, and thought Wallis would thrive in Libba's absence, but the one I wish I was wrong about (and TBF he still has time) is Cordy - I hear the shouts that to play him for one game isn't right (and that his preseason was solid etc) but he shouldn't have come in for Redpath and probably shouldn't play for us again unless Minson & Campbell are both injured.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    but the one I wish I was wrong about (and TBF he still has time) is Cordy - I hear the shouts that to play him for one game isn't right (and that his preseason was solid etc) but he shouldn't have come in for Redpath and probably shouldn't play for us again unless Minson & Campbell are both injured.
    Cordy named at CHF this week
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Cordy named at CHF this week
    Not trying to sound harsh (I'm really not) but I'm hoping for a Fletcher Roberts late change. Or of course, for big Ayce to prove me horribly wrong.
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I have never rated Dickson beyond him being an efficient kick for goal. Just hasn't got involved enough IMO. He's a different player this year...just seems so much fitter and gets involved so much more offensively and defensively. Not saying I was wrong but I'm much more hopeful about him now than I was previously.
    Also it is the first uninterrupted pre season he has had too.

Post Thanks / Like

Honeychurch's game versus the tiges was good. I didnt expect him to hold a spot with Daniel and Hrovat waiting in the wings, but he may.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dukedog View Post
    Its great to see supporters up and about following a couple of wins. The boys have played a good couple of games. But i think a few are getting carried away with expectation after a 'good start'. We could easily lose the next 4 games. What will the response be about the team then? Also. To single individual players out like m. Boyd is harsh. Hes been a club captain and a gun tor years. Agree he is a butcher of a kick tho. Hahahaa. Keep ya panties on lads. Its a long season.
    It's a forum. Many of us blokes will be here when the inevitable shellacking does come. So we're just going to lap it up a bit while the lapping is good.

I got a few things wrong (based on evidence so far) and that MIGHT include Grant, though I'm certainly not 100% convinced yet (sorry BT!). I thought Richmond were going to flog the crap out of us. I thought Kennedy might too, glad he waited a week to kick 10.