Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Round 2 Mea Culpa

I've got my list.

Didn't think M. Boyd would have a good year. Perhaps I was wrong...
    Wasn't convinced on Dickson being a consistent contributor. Duh.
    Didn't think Redpath could kick 4 in a game. He did it in a quarter.
    Hunter. I had him traded three weeks ago. I might keep him now.
    Dalrymple. All the picks on smalls, including the smallest player in the league. Alright, a tick for him now.

I hope to extend my list by years end.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll finally cop to it BT. I was wrong on Grant.

4. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    I'll finally cop to it BT. I was wrong on Grant.
    Best. Post. Ever.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I was unenthusiastic about the Duryea trade, despite the cheap price tag. There’s a long season ahead, but some good use and contested marks in the last quarter. So credit to him, I wanted to be shown his value when we have a bunch of flankers, but he’s earning his wage and proving the merit of the trade. Happy to say keep it up in an early mea culpa.

7. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I was unenthusiastic about the Duryea trade, despite the cheap price tag. There’s a long season ahead, but some good use and contested marks in the last quarter. So credit to him, I wanted to be shown his value when we have a bunch of flankers, but he’s earning his wage and proving the merit of the trade. Happy to say keep it up in an early mea culpa.
    I'm pretty happy with a number of our cheepie pick ups in recent years - Crozier, Lloyd & Duryea the obvious three, Gowers almost counts as ex-Carlton.

I'm the opposite way on Trengove - I thought he'd be easily best 22 during his time with us, clearly didn't bank on a few changes to the side so happy to wear that one.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    I'm pretty happy with a number of our cheepie pick ups in recent years - Crozier, Lloyd & Duryea the obvious three, Gowers almost counts as ex-Carlton.

I'm the opposite way on Trengove - I thought he'd be easily best 22 during his time with us, clearly didn't bank on a few changes to the side so happy to wear that one.
    Depending on definition, Schache was cheap (25 & 40) and I'd prefer we honoured the Cloke contract (pick 66 or so). Suckling as a free agent has been a good one.

So for all our trading from 2015, non-superstar trading, we've been doing pretty well. Trengove has under performed as you say, but has time still. Cloke seems to fail, but who knows what would've happened if we honoured hid second year and not force him out to keep Honeychurch.

I wouldn't mind adding Tomlinson to the above list as a free agent. With the 'Wingard Money' who knows what we will do at year's end.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't mind adding Tomlinson to the above list as a free agent. With the 'Wingard Money' who knows what we will do at year's end.
    If Libba continues in his current form, the Wingard money will be going to him.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    If Libba continues in his current form, the Wingard money will be going to him.
    He's going to get $1,250,000 a year?

Then there's going to be big savings from some bigger names out too. I fully trust that Sam Power understood the salary cap and future requirements when he offered up $900,000+ for 5 years last year so that he could get Wingard and re-sign everyone else this year and next. I've heard from time to time on here that we need to use the 'Hurley Money' ($900,000+ for 5 years) on all the kids for several years. Then it turns out, JMac & Power secured all the kids and our stars and still had all the 'Hurley Money' to last year. Now 'Wingard Money' ($900,000+ for 5 years) which was nearly spent last year knowing we'd have good players to sign. Retirement money will help cover re-signings, as well as the salary cap increases. If one accepts that Power made a reasonable decision with the club's blessing, then I think it's safe to say there is still the Hurley/Wingard Money if Power and the club want to use some or all of it. But we'll see come October.

Post Thanks / Like

Plot twist - we sign Rory Thompson as a FA on 'decent' coin, and use the rest on a 3 year deal for Libba and a 5 year deal for Naughts.

Thomson gets back to his best mid 2020 after fully recovering from his ACL and becomes another shrewd signing.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Plot twist - we sign Rory Thompson as a FA on 'decent' coin, and use the rest on a 3 year deal for Libba and a 5 year deal for Naughts.

Thomson gets back to his best mid 2020 after fully recovering from his ACL and becomes another shrewd signing.
    Yes a long term contract for both Naughty and Timmy English would be nice.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a type on scenario I think. I hedged in my early list management thread, we could target an A grader (like Hurley or Wingard) or look at a needs based player or two and leave the balance in the cap. If it meant Naughton stayed on long term, then maybe it's the need type. I love Libba, but not sure he gets huge money for three years after two ACLs. But I understand the general point. That's why I love the list management side of the industry.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a type on scenario I think. I hedged in my early list management thread, we could target an A grader (like Hurley or Wingard) or look at a needs based player or two and leave the balance in the cap. If it meant Naughton stayed on long term, then maybe it's the need type. I love Libba, but not sure he gets huge money for three years after two ACLs. But I understand the general point. That's why I love the list management side of the industry.
    Based on how much better Libba makes our team, pay him all of the money. Deserves it.

17. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to double down on the mea culpa. Averaging nearly 20 disposals (above average comp), 8 marks (1.4 intercept marks - above average comp), 2 tackles & 3 rebound 50’s (plus 267 metres gained) - including playing against three 2020 finals sides. To be getting this service three years after a ultra low cost trade is credit to him and the club.

Post Thanks / Like

I need to double down on the mea culpa. Averaging nearly 20 disposals (above average comp), 8 marks (1.4 intercept marks - above average comp), 2 tackles & 3 rebound 50’s (plus 267 metres gained) - including playing against three 2020 finals sides. To be getting this service three years after a ultra low cost trade is credit to him and the club.
    Doc is a very important part of our backline
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Providing to be a quicker Matty Boyd. Hard body and in the contest. Good user. Good hands. Maturity and heaps of finals experience. That last effort was insane.

Future Fourth Rounder the cost.

21. Likes EasternWest, josie liked this post