Thanks Thanks:  13
Likes Likes:  49
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 4 vs Adelaide

Whether Cordy has been first ruck or not 4 disposals in two weeks tell me what sort of footballer he is.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Whether Cordy has been first ruck or not 4 disposals in two weeks tell me what sort of footballer he is.
    A very simplistic way of looking at it, but I probably agree!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agreed, but let's see how he goes with some responsibility as first ruck .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    A very simplistic way of looking at it, but I probably agree!
    In fairness to Cordy he should have played more games last season, as Minson stunk .

5. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It is clear that Cordy hasn't been great the last two weeks, it is therefore even clearer that this selection is more about Minson than Cordy. Cordy had a strong preseason as a ruckman and two poor games as a key forward and as a key back. It would seem that Bevo is unhappy with Minson's games as a ruckman. Given the above, is this such a strange selection decision? Probably yes ,but not ridiculous.
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

No guarantees at selection for Minson, says Beveridge

WESTERN Bulldogs big man Will Minson is no longer seen as the team's best ruck option every week and was dropped partly because of match-ups against Adelaide, according to coach Luke Beveridge.Minson, who was named All Australian in 2013, struggled to produce his best form in 2014, and was sent back to Footscray in round 22 last season.

After averaging 13 possessions in three games this season, Beveridge said it was time to give Ayce Cordy a chance to lead the ruck against the Crows on Sunday.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

After reading everyone's comments, it is the consensus of this forum that Ayce doesn't deserve this chance that has been gifted to him, and quite frankly I have to agree. This is a master stroke by the coach or insanity, either way it's ballsy. I can't think of one piece of play or act on the field that I have seen from Ayce in the past 2 games that could warrant him getting another game coming on as sub with 5 minutes left in the match, let alone taking over the ruck duties from Minson as a lone ruckman. Ayce has forced Minson out of the team, wow! Did I miss something? I understand if it is round 15 and we are out of finals calculations but round 4. I am not sure if this sends the right message to the playing group to be honest. If McCartney had of made this move and it turns out how I would expect, there would be one particular thread on here that would get a going over! I really really really hope I am wrong and Ayce plays out of his skin and has a break out game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    If McCartney had of made this move and it turns out how I would expect, there would be one particular thread on here that would get a going over! I really really really hope I am wrong and Ayce plays out of his skin and has a break out game.
    It's the power of the honeymoon period and a couple of early wins. You're right if, Macca had made the same call the debate on Cordy would have been the secondary component of the discussions on this thread.

I've been supportive have having Cordy on the list but I also couldn't see how we could get any value of having him as a second ruckman. His form in the seniors has also been very poor and in a winnable game we are gambling on him coming good or at least breaking even with his Adelaide opponents. We will know early on in the game if it's been an inspired move.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ratsmac View Post
    After reading everyone's comments, it is the consensus of this forum that Ayce doesn't deserve this chance that has been gifted to him, and quite frankly I have to agree. This is a master stroke by the coach or insanity, either way it's ballsy. I can't think of one piece of play or act on the field that I have seen from Ayce in the past 2 games that could warrant him getting another game coming on as sub with 5 minutes left in the match, let alone taking over the ruck duties from Minson as a lone ruckman. Ayce has forced Minson out of the team, wow! Did I miss something? I understand if it is round 15 and we are out of finals calculations but round 4. I am not sure if this sends the right message to the playing group to be honest. If McCartney had of made this move and it turns out how I would expect, there would be one particular thread on here that would get a going over! I really really really hope I am wrong and Ayce plays out of his skin and has a break out game.
    Maybe Minson forced Minson out of the team. Maybe it isn't so much about Cordy's ability as much as Minson not fulfilling aspects of his role that the coaching staff place importance on.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

11. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    Maybe Minson forced Minson out of the team. Maybe it isn't so much about Cordy's ability as much as Minson not fulfilling aspects of his role that the coaching staff place importance on.
    Yep, it's not like Cordy has pushed out Hudson, Wynd, Darcy etc.

Minson hasn't been great for over a season now and it's time to see what else we have got.
    The curse is dead.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Underdog View Post
    I think that pretty much sums it up. Successive coaches have now 'inexplicably' dropped Minson. So there's obviously more to it behind the scenes than we can see from the supporters' vantage point.

Perhaps McCartney didn't "have it in" for Will. Perhaps the view of the coaching panel is simply tat he's not effectively following instructions - or at the least, not effectively executing his part of our game plan.

Add to that discussions along the lines of "What do we do with Cordy?" And this starts to make sense.
    Cordy is a ruckman, is a ruckman, is a ruckman!! Introducing the poor bastard into the seniors as a key defender is about as fruitful as having Curtly Ambrose opening the batting!

Justin Madden was a terrible forward, for example. He had to leave Essendon to get a run at the ruck and was runner up in the Brownlow within two years of doing so. Mind you, he was understudy to his brother - probably the second best ruckman of all time!

And Will is no Simon Madden! Will has never developed an extra string to his bow that allows him to take a tandem rucking role. It means he's either in the side as a sole ruckman, or he's out. It's the reason I was calling for him to be traded at the end of 2013.

He's a nice, intelligent bloke. A good guy. However he doesn't fit our plans.

Young ruckmen are supposed to come in, jump high, be raw, then gradually develop their positional play around the ground, their body work etc. then as time goes on, they should develop some attacking capability. An ability to rest forward, provide a target and clunk a mark. Will has never done that.

At our stage of development, I'd rather try and fail with Cordy and Campbell than persevere with Will. He's blocking Cordy and Campbell's development.

Had we traded Will (who was All Australian ruckmen at the time) in 2013, we'd have achieved a strong trade and Cordy and Campbell would each have an extra season of AFL footy under their belts... Not to mention, we could've rookied Darcy Fort - who looks the goods to me. I'm worried he'll be nicked from under our noses..

15. Likes always right, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The reaction on this board may simply be a result of recent years where some players were selected week after week despite mediocre form.

Seems to me this decision has been made with post-2015 in mind. Why not start the transition now? What's the worst that could happen?....Cordy fails and we find out once and for all if he should remain on our radar as a future ruckman. It might decide what our draft strategy is going to be at the end of the year.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

17. Likes chef, G-Mo77, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Minson has been named at FF in the VFL team. Campbell is first ruck. Selections that are consistent with Beveridge wanting to experiment early in the season with the ruck combination.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon