Thanks Thanks:  15
Likes Likes:  146
Page 1 of 29 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ayce Cordy - Where to Now?

Ayce has played two shocking games in a row and really needs to go back to the VFL and work on his game.

After being drafted in 2008, he has only played 22 games and this is his 7th season and he will be turning 25 in August.

Does anyone think he will make it and what role do you see him in if you do. Personally, I can't see any improvement this year.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ayce Cordy - Where to Now?

Nope, marking time. He's had time, failed to show much.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

3. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes divvydan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has good dexterity but he is so slow. I can't see him making it now. Did he have pace as a junior?
    The Angels have the phone box. Don't blink!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to hear from VFL watchers on this. What in his game made him BOG 2 weeks ago in the VFL that hasn't come through at AFL level
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

If his name was, say, Kevin Jeffreys, and he was taken with pick 52 in the draft, he would have been delisted 4 years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dancin' Douggy View Post
    If his name was, say, Kevin Jeffreys, and he was taken with pick 52 in the draft, he would have been delisted 4 years ago.
    Completely disagree, regardless of who is name was we rated him enough to draft him with a high pick. He's had setback after setback so the reason to invest time in him is more than just a name.

Not sure on Ayce. He can do it at VFL level and looks great there, AFL, he's struggling to get to that next level. I'd personally like to see him take on some real ruck duties. Today he was forced to play back which obviously didn't suit, every other game he's played he's a pinch ruck who plays forward . His best games have been as a ruck in the VFL I'd like to see him at least given some big stints in the ruck at AFL level. I haven't given up yet, he's got the rest of the year to prove his worth. Right now it's not looking to good.

8. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he may have actually kicked the ball.

Post Thanks / Like

The question I ask myself is: why does a player like Ceglar emerge at Hawthorn after getting dumped by Collingwood and showing very little in his first 4 or so years? Both players are in the mid 20s, both are bean pole type ruck man, yet the Hawks player is having an influence at AFL level and our guy is giving us nothing.

Were the Hawks able to carry Ceglar while he worked his way up to this level? Should we show similar patience?

Or was he sent back to Box Hill repeatedly to work on his game?
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    The question I ask myself is: why does a player like Ceglar emerge at Hawthorn after getting dumped by Collingwood and showing very little in his first 4 or so years? Both players are in the mid 20s, both are bean pole type ruck man, yet the Hawks player is having an influence at AFL level and our guy is giving us nothing.

Were the Hawks able to carry Ceglar while he worked his way up to this level? Should we show similar patience?

Or was he sent back to Box Hill repeatedly to work on his game?
    Possibly the biggest factor to note is that when Ceglar plays he does so in his best position, as a ruckman. McEvoy and Hale are both versatile enough to offer something up forward.

Unfortunately for us Minson is a useless forward, meaning Campbell and Cordy either have to wait for Minson to get dropped/injured/suspended, or continue to play 80% of their game time as forwards.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Does anyone think he will make it and what role do you see him in if you do.
    Ruckman. Ruckman only.

Right now he's not up to being a forward at AFL level. Redpath was unlucky to be dropped R1 and at least got to the right spots.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Possibly the biggest factor to note is that when Ceglar plays he does so in his best position, as a ruckman. McEvoy and Hale are both versatile enough to offer something up forward.

Unfortunately for us Minson is a useless forward, meaning Campbell and Cordy either have to wait for Minson to get dropped/injured/suspended, or continue to play 80% of their game time as forwards.
    Playing in your most favoured position in the best team in the competition can do wonders for your game and how you're perceived by people.

Playing out of your favoured position in a crap team can be quite detrimental to your prospects of establishing a career.

Ayce needs to go back to the twos, show aggression, continue to stay involved in the game and put a number of solid performances together. At senior AFL level he doesn't do any of these things and must if he is to forge any sort of career.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Playing in your most favoured position in the best team in the competition can do wonders for your game and how you're perceived by people.

Playing out of your favoured position in a crap team can be quite detrimental to your prospects of establishing a career.

Ayce needs to go back to the twos, show aggression, continue to stay involved in the game and put a number of solid performances together. At senior AFL level he doesn't do any of these things and must if he is to forge any sort of career.
    For a bloke who is over 2m tall and 100kgs, Ayce's tip toe through the tulips display yesterday should earn him the nickname "Tiny Tim."
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't given up entirely on Ayce yet I am not as confident that he will make it as I once was. Unfortunately like most have said Ayce's best position is ruck and he has done very little of this in his two games back. While Big Will is in the team both Cordy and Campbell's time to ruck in the seniors is limited. Yet they seem to ruck well as a tandem in the VFL both capable of kicking goals. Will we ever see this tandem being used in the AFL? Not sure but I for one would be interested to see how they go.

Post Thanks / Like

Really hope Ayce blossoms at AFL level and soon.

IMO Ayce makes Peter Street (anyone remember him?) look like a good player. Any 1 on 1's and I'm almost certain Ayce will lose at AFL level.

I will be fascinated what happens from here with Ayce. I do understand he is a better ruckman than anything else, however the days of ruckman only being good ruckman are almost gone. Big Will is an exception and perhaps that's one of our problems - as noted by earlier poster.

I am flabbergasted at how poor an overhead mark or punch away he is and how he has not learnt to reach above his head to use his height to advantage after 7 years in the system. Even allowing for the fact he was injured earlier in his career, I think he must deliver very soon or he is gone. His physical presence is also, IMO, appalling.

Post Thanks / Like

Surely this is his last go at AFL level. He has given us donuts. He would have to be tearing the door down in the VFL to get another chance.
    Redpath is the unluckiest player in the world to be dropped for Ayce Cordy.