Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Set Shots - how to improve them & who in AFL improved their technique?

Tom Boyd's technique reminds me of Tony Lockett.

Jarrad Grant's technique is diabolical, especially from short range (~30m out).
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Watching Grant in the set shots I reckon he comes in like a left footer and of course kicks right. No wonder he is a bad kick. Watch him from behind and you might get the same thought as me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hughy31 View Post
    Watching Grant in the set shots I reckon he comes in like a left footer and of course kicks right. No wonder he is a bad kick. Watch him from behind and you might get the same thought as me.
    Agree. Definitely starts his approach with a couple of little skips on the wrong leg. Can't be good for your balance heading in to the target.

As for Stringer, there are two tell-tale signs in his approach where you can tell before watching the ball that he will miss.
    The first is whenever he stutters/takes a few shorter steps in his run up. Its a bit like watching a bowler at the local cricket match who misses his normal stride in his run up and throws in a few stutter steps - they inevitably bowl a bad ball if they go through with it.

The other issue Stringer has is when he leans back on his kick.

Of the two set shots he missed on the weekend - he did one of each. Whereas, on the run - he keeps his momentum going towards the target and is quite deadly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Stringers problem is now purely in his head. He has missed so many set shots this season, that it is playing in his mind. He needs to practise alot and even talk to a sports psychologist.
    Its a technique problem with his approach. The issue in his approach may be 'in his head' - but he just needs to get his routine well rehearsed at training so his confidence in it returns. He needs a Matt Lloyd, not a doc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    Tom Boyd's technique reminds me of Tony Lockett...
    Agree, they both look (looked) like they know exactly what they are doing. I have noticed too that Tom Boyd has chosen a couple of times to centre the ball to the top of the goal square when he has had a set shot out wide from outside or on the 50m arc line even though he has a booming kick. I concluded that a) he is not selfish and b) makes a judgement that if the % chance of kicking the goal is not high enough (<=50%?) he chooses to do the team first thing.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Its a technique problem with his approach. The issue in his approach may be 'in his head' - but he just needs to get his routine well rehearsed at training so his confidence in it returns. He needs a Matt Lloyd, not a doc.
    But someone said he nails them at training.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    But someone said he nails them at training.
    My conclusion is that his technique is flawed at the moment such that it doesn't stand up under match day pressures.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

8. Likes Ozza liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a few players have improved their set shot kicking. Stringer certainly has and Grant showed on Sunday he can kick the ball straight. I wonder if there has been a focus at training?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Just goes to show how much of it is in the head, I reckon. Grant's confidence is up and his technique looked superb on the weekend, everything was very straight, upright and simple.

11. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm guessing Dickson got it right saying he doesn't put too much thought into his set shots. I'd imagine the routines and everything are as much a way to get you out of your own head as anything else for most players

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Crameri just about refuses to drop the ball correctly and was to kick those flashy goals. Even when he is running into the goal by himself he holds the ball on an angle. We have some work to do with a few of the boys.
    I have to close my eyes when Grant kicks the ball. His ball drop / the way he holds it makes me grind my teeth.
    Have to dig around and find his stats but I'm sure he kicks a lot of points.
    Barry Hall was like a well oiled machine. I used to enjoy watching him kick for goal and always felt confident when he had a set shot.

I really like Marcus's technique, he has a great action.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I have to close my eyes when Grant kicks the ball. His ball drop / the way he holds it makes me grind my teeth.
    Have to dig around and find his stats but I'm sure he kicks a lot of points. .
    In 2015 he has kicked 10 - 10

Overall 82, 54 but I am not sure how many are set shots.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    In 2015 he has kicked 10 - 10

Overall 82, 54 but I am not sure how many are set shots.
    Well, all players have things they need to work on. But I think it's too late for him to change his drop style. Guess I have to put up with it.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Great to see Stringer finding his set shot rhythm in recent weeks (right time in the season). Crameri is looking solid. Redpath and Boyd both have good routines. Dickson obviously the master. Grant seemed a little more fluent on the weekend (maybe just confidence being up after his early goal?). Bonti and Macrae are both very comfortable when they get a chance, and Wallis is one of the best in the side when within his range of about 45 MAX.

It can all change very quickly - but we are in ok shape at the moment. Helps when we get so many scoring opportunities in games recently to practice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Well, all players have things they need to work on. But I think it's too late for him to change his drop style. Guess I have to put up with it.
    But he has changed his ball drop albeit marginly. He holds the ball nowhere near as upright.

As for Stringer, I notice he is a far better set shot shooting for goal from the right flank than the left flank.
    Last edited by always right; 19-08-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.