Thanks Thanks:  90
Likes Likes:  538
Page 2 of 127 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: List Management 2015

I think we need to be careful we don't go too early and think we are in our window before we are. We need to keep building our list up for when we are actually going to be challenging. If it costs us a few wins in the next two years then so be it. We are in a position where we don't have to snatch at anything. Just be patient and keep adding good kids, pool our resources until a big move presents itself. I would prefer to trade and get free agents to extend our run once we reach the top rather than use it to get there quicker.

Never been overly worried about ruck stocks. Lots of clubs floating around with recycled ruckmen. I think with the right home work you can get one fairly cheap if you get desperate at the end of the season. Wouldn't want to give up too much before we can see exactly where we are in terms of the premiership pecking order in the next few years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Uncontracted Players

GWS

Adam Treloar
    Will Hoskin-Elliott
    Stephen Coniglio
    Dylan Shiel
    Many rumours floating around about Shiel and Richmond.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Hoskin-Elliott, Nth Sunshine boy, believe his brother still plays there and from rumours I heard he was very homesick early on, I would grab him in a heart beat.
    Bring back the biff

4. Likes kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we are safe with our free agents , too old and the others aren't high demand.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dog town View Post
    I think we need to be careful we don't go too early and think we are in our window before we are. We need to keep building our list up for when we are actually going to be challenging. If it costs us a few wins in the next two years then so be it. We are in a position where we don't have to snatch at anything. Just be patient and keep adding good kids, pool our resources until a big move presents itself. I would prefer to trade and get free agents to extend our run once we reach the top rather than use it to get there quicker.
    It's an interesting one, isn't it?

I look at a side like Hawthorn that first played finals in their current 'reign' in 2007 - added Stuart Dew and won their first premiership the next year, much earlier than many had thought they would. By good drafting, trading and utilising FA they have spent the last 8 years being contenders winning 3 flags to date, with at least one more looking likely.

The point I guess I'm making is any opportunity you have to improve your list, is one worth considering. It can't be to the complete disregard of the future, which is perhaps something we have been guilty of in the past, certainly some other clubs like St Kilda have been - however to rule it out is something I can't agree with.

I also noted an article about Ken Hinkley in the paper over the weekend, where it was mentioned the discussion he had post PF-loss with his players and coaching staff last year. It referred to the huge effort required to get themselves back into a preliminary final, let alone into a grand final - the disappointment of falling at that hurdle by 3 points - regardless of being the underdog, and a younger side. When the opportunities present, you have to take them.

The more I think about the modern game, the less convinced I am a premiership window exists - sure when you're in a re-build like St Kilda, and perhaps where Carlton will be heading, you are not going to contend. Once you have build the cornerstones of a list, and those players have played a few games, you can start to challenge again. If you have a bit of luck, win a few close ones, have a good run with injuries etc, suddenly you can be playing in the finals, and giving yourself an opportunity to pinch a flag.

The group we have at the moment, to me at least, has those cornerstones now. We have a number of players who can rotate through the middle, a good blend of smart players, tall, strong, quick, inside, outside - we can just about do it all through there. We have key defenders who are looking like long term players, and a blend of speed, creativity and versatility through the flanks. Our forward line also looks strong, with a key forward with Boyd's potential, Stringer, Crameri and again, a number of players who can rotate through the flanks and pockets. Given the age of our group, I think we have a good opportunity to be competitive for a number of years - so identifying the astute trades and FA opportunities is where we need to make it count - be it to add depth, exploit a main competitors weakness or add a genuinely talented player of the right age profile.

I think we are starting to realise, whilst we remain in exploration mode as Bevo has said, we are perhaps closer than most of us had thought not too long ago. We'll continue to improve no doubt, but we need to have our eyes open for opportunities so we can move quickly if they present.

I'm sick of waiting, I'm impatient and greedy - I want a flag and I see no reason why it can't become our ambition from 2016 onwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Uncontracted Players

GWS

Adam Treloar
    Will Hoskin-Elliott
    Stephen Coniglio
    Dylan Shiel
    I hope every one of them leave that dump!

Post Thanks / Like

How have GWS allowed those 4 to come out of contract all at once?

I would do inappropriate things to get Treloar to the Dogs. Tough and skilful, he's a rich man's Callan Ward.

I'm probably under the influence of his final round decimation of us, but WHE would add plenty to our side with his running ability and goal sense.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the idea of raiding GWS or GCS for young talent. WHE would be a dream, but if we have a pick around 10 I'm open to trading or down grading to a high second rounder for the right player.

I like the idea of a new full back and having Roughy able to play any role, which the opposition or the game dictate. Rance would be a great get but his salary would be high on the open market. Carlisle the same, someone like May might be cheaper. But the flexibility for the team would be a great asset in my mind.

The ruck area is such an opportunity for further and fast improvement. If Will isn't our man then we have to look at trading him while he has any value, but if he is our best then we keep him. I can't see Will, Cordy & Campbell on the list at the years end. I think we need to find the best value option in terms of trade and cost. Luenberger is a FA, but again salary might be an issue. We need a mature ruck and one or two developing sorts across the lists.

I could live with a Hawthorn style aggressive trade period. Say pick 10 for a player and pick 20. Then 20 and 28 for another player. Add in a free agent and we've got 3 good players in next year.

Morris, Bob, Picken & Boyd all look the goods right now. But the plan above needs more salary cap space and you would hope that by years end our pups have perhaps one or two guys retiring.

The rookie list probably remains unchanged. Perhaps Goodes leaves and a Prudden type rookied. No elevations at the moment, although if Smith burns it up if we have a late pick he might be a better option.

Fuller looks too far back and an obvious at risk type.

I wouldn't bank on our only father son in Darcy Macpherson being nominated by us.

So a ruckman, senior player and Fuller is the 3 mandatory changes. 3 draft picks at 50, 70 and 90 (RU?). But a three player trade period needs three more spots. So the the heat goes on Prudden, a second older player and one more.

In all I think this could be shaping as Macca's biggest off season and I'm hoping we have the courage to go hard.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don't mind the idea of raiding GWS or GCS for young talent. WHE would be a dream, but if we have a pick around 10 I'm open to trading or down grading to a high second rounder for the right player.
    I'm all for raiding the expansion clubs. GWS in particular. Obviously it has to be sensible but getting another young gun from them will help weaken a likely future rival. I think WHE or Shiel would be perfect for us and would be worth looking into. The one I'd love to get off them is Cam Macarthy. Not sure when he comes off contract though.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    The ruck area is such an opportunity for further and fast improvement. If Will isn't our man then we have to look at trading him while he has any value, but if he is our best then we keep him. I can't see Will, Cordy & Campbell on the list at the years end. I think we need to find the best value option in terms of trade and cost. Luenberger is a FA, but again salary might be an issue. We need a mature ruck and one or two developing sorts across the lists.
    The ruck is something we must address. I cant see all 3 current ruckmen on our list next year. I feel certain 1 of them will move on. Minson looks to be in trouble. Perhaps he might be the one to go as the Dogs continue to clear out the old guard? but whichever way I look at it I don't see a top line ruckman on our list going forward.

I would definately be looking at Leuenberger. Injuries aside he could be one of the best in the league. His stocks would be low at the moment and maybe a change of scenery might do him good, a la Higgins. He wouldn't cost us anything as he's a free agent.

We must draft a young ruckman this year for the future.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for raiding the expansion clubs. GWS in particular. Obviously it has to be sensible but getting another young gun from them will help weaken a likely future rival. I think WHE or Shiel would be perfect for us and would be worth looking into. The one I'd love to get off them is Cam Macarthy. Not sure when he comes off contract though.

The ruck is something we must address. I cant see all 3 current ruckmen on our list next year. I feel certain 1 of them will move on. Minson looks to be in trouble. Perhaps he might be the one to go as the Dogs continue to clear out the old guard? but whichever way I look at it I don't see a top line ruckman on our list going forward.

I would definately be looking at Leuenberger. Injuries aside he could be one of the best in the league. His stocks would be low at the moment and maybe a change of scenery might do him good, a la Higgins. He wouldn't cost us anything as he's a free agent.

We must draft a young ruckman this year for the future.
    When you think about the above, add in Libba, Wally another two kids stepping up and another top line kid from an expansion club, a mature FB/CHB and a close to top line ruckman and bloody hell it's exciting. The fact that Luenberger and Rance could come for salary only (FA) and that shued trading could net us the other two means it's not overly far fetched.

A new full back could mean Roughy could even play second ruck from defence, as well as offer flexibility. A close to top line ruckman clearly improves the side and a 21-22yo gun running type adds to our war chest. Once we can spare 'Bonts' down forward for more time the need for a gun 193cm natural player is reduced and another tall or someone on the list is enough right now.

I'm usually a go to the draft type but I think the bell curve (only early on I know) means shrew trade and FA offers even more. I show to the jury exhibit A, being Port Adelaide last two off seasons: Jared Polec, Matt White and Pat Ryder.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Ill reiterate that Carlisle is uncontracted next year. He goes to CHB and Rough goes wherever we need him to.

13. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Ill reiterate that Carlisle is uncontracted next year. He goes to CHB and Rough goes wherever we need him to.
    Get it done, bulldogtragic!
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Get it done, bulldogtragic!
    Leave it with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It lacks quality in the 24-27 age bracket no question, but it's pretty well balanced in terms of positional options and of players who should make it vs players who might make it. Another decent cut at years end to players clogging up space and we'll be on pretty good track.
    I think Mantis meant the free agent list
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Any interest in Lachie Henderson and Jamie Elliott? Both remain un-contracted.

Henderson could well be worth a look considering his ability to play back and forward.

Elliot is a quality footballer, full stop.
    More of an In Bruges guy?