Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: From Irrelevant to Scary inside 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Good luck getting anyone external to acknowledge it however. The way some are so keen to pump up Hogan and talk about how he's so far ahead of Boyd has been a joke. In their last 2 games

Hogan
    23 disposal 11 marks 4 goals

Boyd
    22 disposals 9 marks 5 goals
    Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    This is good though. Let them continue to ignore him.

Exactly. Let's stop posting about it now before "bulldogs secret plan" appears in the Herald Sun.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck getting anyone external to acknowledge it however. The way some are so keen to pump up Hogan and talk about how he's so far ahead of Boyd has been a joke. In their last 2 games

Hogan

Boyd
    Did you hear them scoff when they brought up Boyd's name on Friday night as a comparison? I think it was Ling who was the quickest to dismiss him. I'm happy with what Boyd has done so far and glad media clowns don't rate what he's done. I haven't forgotten how happy the arsewhipes seemed when that dark week in October hit. So many lined up to sink the boots in! My memory isn't so short.....anyway I'm going off course.....

One stat I love from Boyd is his 3 tackles per game but by all means keep on overlooking him.

Post Thanks / Like

Hogan

Boyd
    Hogan's had Dawes to take some of the attention of the big defenders, Redpath hasn't played for us since round 1 which has made it easier for Boyd to be double-teamed
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Hogan's had Dawes to take some of the attention of the big defenders, Redpath hasn't played for us since round 1 which has made it easier for Boyd to be double-teamed
    Stringer did a pretty good job of drawing Talia by the third quarter.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Stringer did a pretty good job of drawing Talia by the third quarter.
    Then proceeded to get subbed off, leaving even more attention on Boyd
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Amazing what a decent game plan can do to a team.
    I'm racking my brain to think of the significant differences in game plan between what we're seeing now versus the very good games we played in 2013-2014.

There's definitely a psychological difference in the playing group that is evident. They seem to be willing to do the hard stuff, plus the creative and daring things we couldn't sustain during the above mentioned period beyond one or two weeks.

As some others have mentioned there's a difference in structure in that we actually have a genuine 200cm key forward opposition defenders are wary of, which has straightened us up and made it easier for us to move the ball directly towards something tangible.

Another structural benefit we've seen this year is the form of Talia, who after watching live in the VFL qualifying final at Whitten Oval, I thought was really struggling. He's really come out of his shell and is playing great football supported by a solidified defence supported by the veterans Murphy, Boyd and Morris/Wood.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    Boyd really should have at least 3-4 more goals for the season so far if he'd been paid a free kick at any stage.
    I guess we just have to be patient and wait until things turn with the umpires in regards to Boyd.
    Greystache said it best I think when he said that the umpires had chosen to give him the Barry Hall treatment, rather than the Nick Riewoldt treatment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I'm racking my brain to think of the significant differences in game plan between what we're seeing now versus the very good games we played in 2013-2014.

There's definitely a psychological difference in the playing group that is evident. They seem to be willing to do the hard stuff, plus the creative and daring things we couldn't sustain during the above mentioned period beyond one or two weeks.

As some others have mentioned there's a difference in structure in that we actually have a genuine 200cm key forward opposition defenders are wary of, which has straightened us up and made it easier for us to move the ball directly towards something tangible.

Another structural benefit we've seen this year is the form of Talia, who after watching live in the VFL qualifying final at Whitten Oval, I thought was really struggling. He's really come out of his shell and is playing great football supported by a solidified defence supported by the veterans Murphy, Boyd and Morris/Wood.
    Structure has a lot to do with it, but I think allowing the players to play their natural game also goes along way to the change. By this I mean, not just drumming into the players head they must be defensive all the time, but rather they can play on and take the game on. I feel lots of players were stifled under the previous game plan. Guys like Talia, who is a ball accumulator was asked to strictly stick with his man at all times.

One of the biggest factors is we now don't all tackle at once. In the past few years there would be three players jumping in the pack and tackling, and leaving no one for the spread and quick ball movement. Now we take turns in tackling and leaving other players on the outside to get the ball when it's fed out. We are moving the ball much quicker and finding other teams out.

Another Bevo tactic is not trying to win every position on the ground. It didn't work very well against Hawthorn due to injury, but what Bevo tried there was , let's leave Hodge do his thing and we will win the ball in other areas of the ground. It fell apart once Wallis and Morris went down. Similarly last week, Bevo wasn't worried about winning hitouts, he was more concerned about the next move and getting the ball back. At half time last week, I was amazed by the stats. We were winning only a couple of stats like tackles, and there were lots of players with only a hand full possessions, yet we were smashing them on the scoreboard.

This year we don't have a one or two players dominating the ball, but rather a more even overall team effort.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Boyd really should have at least 3-4 more goals for the season so far if he'd been paid a free kick at any stage.
    I guess we just have to be patient and wait until things turn with the umpires in regards to Boyd.
    Greystache said it best I think when he said that the umpires had chosen to give him the Barry Hall treatment, rather than the Nick Riewoldt treatment.
    He's had about 3 frees paid that have turned into advantage play ons and goals. He is going beautifully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Structure has a lot to do with it, but I think allowing the players to play their natural game also goes along way to the change. By this I mean, not just drumming into the players head they must be defensive all the time, but rather they can play on and take the game on. I feel lots of players were stifled under the previous game plan. Guys like Talia, who is a ball accumulator was asked to strictly stick with his man at all times.

One of the biggest factors is we now don't all tackle at once. In the past few years there would be three players jumping in the pack and tackling, and leaving no one for the spread and quick ball movement. Now we take turns in tackling and leaving other players on the outside to get the ball when it's fed out. We are moving the ball much quicker and finding other teams out.

Another Bevo tactic is not trying to win every position on the ground. It didn't work very well against Hawthorn due to injury, but what Bevo tried there was , let's leave Hodge do his thing and we will win the ball in other areas of the ground. It fell apart once Wallis and Morris went down. Similarly last week, Bevo wasn't worried about winning hitouts, he was more concerned about the next move and getting the ball back. At half time last week, I was amazed by the stats. We were winning only a couple of stats like tackles, and there were lots of players with only a hand full possessions, yet we were smashing them on the scoreboard.

This year we don't have a one or two players dominating the ball, but rather a more even overall team effort.
    Fair enough.

The bold piece represents one of my biggest bugbears since the mid 00's. We have year on year presented teams that for whatever reason haven't known how to nominate and hang back. It's a trait that drives me mad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Fair enough.

The bold piece represents one of my biggest bugbears since the mid 00's. We have year on year presented teams that for whatever reason haven't known how to nominate and hang back. It's a trait that drives me mad.
    Same jeemak. Really frustrating see it happening again and again year after year. It's all well and good to hunt a player and tackle hard but you've got to be smarter about it. It's something that has improved a hell of a lot this season.