Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 5

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I must admit I actually thought the umpiring was quite good.
    Very difficult conditions, and I thought the game wasn't over umpired. Players weren't getting pinged for minor infringements - which is what you're after all the time, but particularly in the wet.

Although it was a harsh one, I could see where the umpire is coming from on the Roughead 50m penalty, as Roughie did more than hold his ground, he actually advanced forward into the bump - and the umpire was in perfect position to see it.

Was good to see Boyd paid a free for holding! Glad the Jong touch was picked up late in the game too.
    I agree the umpiring was very good under the conditions. Don't agree with the 50m against Roughy. Also we should have have had a 50m earlier when a Swans player kicked the ball away after the umpire paid the free. Other than those, in general it was pretty good and they let some things go, and could easily have paid lots of deliberate out of bounds if they wanted to. (a rule I don't agree with entirely, but that is another discussion.)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Worst decision was in the third quarter when Tippett was tackled and had plenty of time to get rid of the ball before incorrectly disposing of it. No free kick awarded and he goaled at the other end shortly after.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Worst decision was in the third quarter when Tippett was tackled and had plenty of time to get rid of the ball before incorrectly disposing of it. No free kick awarded and he goaled at the other end shortly after.
    Plenty of time. Have a look at this with 13.05 to go. He had no prior opportunity so all he has to do is make an attempt to kick it. Play on

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-re...eoQuality=high
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been watching the replay, and yes I was too harsh on the Foxtel commentators (not that they were perfect). But look, I am a free-to-air man, so I think that years of having to listen to "Clever" McAvaney getting overly enthusiastic about Sydney has created a conditioned reflex whenever I watch the Swans on TV.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Watched the replay last night (got a bit lit at the VFL and as a result didn't take too much on board during the first viewing)

Bankers

Wood - his best game ever

Beveridge - has shifted the roles of a number of players (Wood and Boyd as loosish defenders, Talia not in the VFL, etc) and is getting the most out of them as a result.

Picken - See above; thought he was dead in the water at the start of the season.

Anchors

Stringer - for dropping that hanger. He needs to realise that players whose games are predicated on doing sick stuff have to hold those.

Bomber Thompson - never again.

Cordy - watching Campbell in the VFL clunking marks all over the ground and even winning the occasional hit out makes me wonder what the team would be like with a competent ruckman.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Bankers:
    Easton Wood. He is now the player we all hoped he would be. Great defensively, and assured and creative coming out of defence.

Talia continues his great run of form, far exceeding all our expectations.

The reactions at the siren. It looks like they've won a final. So great to see that passion in such a young group.

Anchors:

Cordy tried hard but was too easily outbodied. I would say he needs to get bigger before we can assess him, but he's had 7 years to put on size.

Sydney players constantly appealing for frees and looking outraged when they didn't receive them. Buddy tackled someone over the line immediately after they got it once and then put his arms out appealing for a free. I still have no idea what free would have been close to viable in that situation. Also loved Richards face after he restrained Boyd. Sydney crowd were just as bad. They certainly are bad losers.

Umpires for getting sucked in too often, the 50 against Roughy (although I can understand getting caught up in the heat of the moment, even if the decision was completely wrong). But there were numerous other examples where they were poor. To their credit though they were pretty good in the last quarter, although Mike Pyke threw it when he realised he didn't mark it.
    If the ump had've paid that, the Sydney crowd would've rushed the field. Incorrect perhaps but understandable given the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by F'scary View Post
    Been watching the replay, and yes I was too harsh on the Foxtel commentators (not that they were perfect). But look, I am a free-to-air man, so I think that years of having to listen to "Clever" McAvaney getting overly enthusiastic about Sydney has created a conditioned reflex whenever I watch the Swans on TV.

That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    Hey mate, we've all been wrong before — heck, I've done backflips in a single thread plenty of times — don't be so hard on yourself.

8. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Banker - The whole side for the effort and tenacity shown.

Anchor - The AFL fixture scheduling. We are subjected to Carltank performances like the one on Friday night 3 more times this year and 'blockbusters' like Richmond/Melbourne and we can't get a peek in!!! It grinds my gears!!! #YourADillGill

10. Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers- Our tackling and pressure all over the ground.Especially those last 5 mins.Was exhausted just watching it.

Anchors- Sydney crowd flogs that wouldn't know the rules of the game if they were whacked across the head with them.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:

In the second quarter, Gary Rohan got the ball in the forward pocket and put the hammer down. Lukas Webb put a desperate fingertip tackle on that made him handball. Stirring stuff from a third gamer.

In the same sequence of play Tory Dickson stuck his head over the ball and turned a 50/50 into a possession for us. As a measure of how far Tory has come, Mark Thompson was commentating at the time and you could hear the disbelief in his voice.

Back to Lukas Webb. Is it too soon to say I love this kid? He has ridiculous composure that's not at all commensurate with his experience. And what a left hoof.

Anchors:
    Nothing springs immediately to mind. Hard to find a lot of criticisms when our guys "cracked in" like that.
    "It's over. It's all over."

13. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Bankers:

In the second quarter, Gary Rohan got the ball in the forward pocket and put the hammer down. Lukas Webb put a desperate fingertip tackle on that made him handball. Stirring stuff from a third gamer.

In the same sequence of play Tory Dickson stuck his head over the ball and turned a 50/50 into a possession for us. As a measure of how far Tory has come, Mark Thompson was commentating at the time and you could hear the disbelief in his voice.

Back to Lukas Webb. Is it too soon to say I love this kid? He has ridiculous composure that's not at all commensurate with his experience. And what a left hoof.

Anchors:
    Nothing springs immediately to mind. Hard to find a lot of criticisms when our guys "cracked in" like that.
    Matty Boyd when interviewed this week on On The Couch was asked to describe a few players with as few words as possible. When asked about Lukas Webb he simply said, "Poise."

15. Likes The bulldog tragician, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Bankers:

Anchors:
    Strike one !
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Strike one !
    Ha ha.

I'm still ok with that term. McCartney did plenty wrong, but he did plenty right too.
    "It's over. It's all over."

18. Likes chef liked this post