Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers and Anchors - Round 5

This is the round 5 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the game against Sydney Swans is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys that you we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers and Anchors - Round 5

In these conditions it will be an interesting read.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

B:

Picken
    Pride in the jumper and belief
    Giving us a win for the ages. Perhaps even a point in time we can 'that's where it started.

A:

Gave complete ruck dominance
    Umpires. Borderline cheating
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Rules are out the window

Bankers

We're 4-1

We beat a top 4 team at their home ground in their favourite conditions

The hunger and will to win of everyone

The hype that's about to come out way

Anchors

Cordy shouldn't have played, not sure if it's his fault or the MC
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

5. Thanks bulldogtragic, Cyberdoggie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:

Picken's continuation of excellent form. He was strong and safe today, and the major counter to the Swans midfield

Will and determination of the playing group

Bob Murphy keeping his head, as usual, and not playing into the hands of Sydney's defensive structure with quick and panicked ball use

A:

Ruck strategy didn't suit the day. Cordy has the ability, though he doesn't have the strength. He needs to take care of the latter before coming back into the side as he's too disadvantaged by that aspect of his game

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. One of Pickens best games

2. The whole team not giving up

3. The sneaky kicks from Dahl, won the game

Anchors

1. MC for not playing Will in those conditions. Cordy a long way off AFL Standard

2. 50 metre penalties - a joke

3. The Sydney crowd and players constantly calling for deliberate out
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

3. The Sydney crowd and players constantly calling for deliberate out
    It's really interesting to see what happens to a bunch of players and their followers when they've become used to being looked after and having their own way.

The amount of pleading for marginal free kicks Sydney players did today was noticeable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Rules are out the window
    No wuckers.

Bankers:

Matthew Boyd, Jordan Roughead, Easton Wood, Robert Murphy, Michael Talia, Fletcher Roberts, Mitch Honeychurch, Liam Picken, Jack Macrae, Luke Dahlhaus, Koby Stevens, Clay Smith, Jake Stringer, Tom Boyd, Stewart Crameri, Ayce Cordy, Lin Jong, Marcus Bontempelli, Lukas Webb, Tory Dickson, Jason Johannisen, Nathan Hrovat.

Anchors:

My mother getting to attend the game in Sydney and couldn't sneak me into her luggage. Poor form Mum.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

1. Picken. And to think a few weeks back I was concerned about his future. 17 contested, 12 tackles and 11 clearances
    2. Crameri. Competed incredibly across the 4 quarters. Spent himself and kept pushing through it.
    3. Our young mids for containing a big bodied and experienced midfield without support from hit outs. So pleasing to see such improvement in this area following the Hawthorn game.

Anchors
    1. Only way is up when we can start equalising or even getting on top in ruck contests

Post Thanks / Like

B
    Picken. Enormous.
    Murph. Nearly had a coronary when the conmentary said he'd hurt his shoulder. He is the glue.
    Can I Bank "Sheer Guts" and "Determination"??? I was sure they'd get rolled as they tired. They tired, but bugger me, they kept at it and grabbed the game.
    A
    Feel a bit dirty giving Anchors, but there's always room.
    Cordy. Sorry, but the experiment isn't working. We should've had Will today.
    Sydney for appealing for deliberate out of bounds at every opportunity, especially after the rub they got today.
    Fox Sports' commentary team for desperately trying to get the Swans the win.
    Small anchor to my Mum who came to my place to watch the game. At the siren I went for a high five and she gave me nbothing. A high five isn't the same when you have to demand it
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

12. Likes bulldogtragic, ratsmac, Scraggers liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Easton Wood match winning goal and 4 consecutive defensive efforts which IMO saved the result.
    Bob. leadership.
    Picken, gone up a notch.

A:
    Rule book going out the window.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    B
    Picken. Enormous.
    Murph. Nearly had a coronary when the conmentary said he'd hurt his shoulder. He is the glue.
    Can I Bank "Sheer Guts" and "Determination"??? I was sure they'd get rolled as they tired. They tired, but bugger me, they kept at it and grabbed the game.
    A
    Feel a bit dirty giving Anchors, but there's always room.
    Cordy. Sorry, but the experiment isn't working. We should've had Will today.
    Sydney for appealing for deliberate out of bounds at every opportunity, especially after the rub they got today.
    Small anchor to my Mum who came to my place to watch the game. At the siren I went for a high five and she gave me nbothing. A high five isn't the same when you have to demand it
    They actually apologised for barracking for us. It was bleeding obvious they were in it for the Dogs, but just figured the Swans would come over the top of us at the end. We all did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I didn't think they were too bad. They seemed to want the Dogs to win (they said as much at 3qtr time). I think Dunstall leaned their way with some of the dodgy free kicks/50s but Hudson's pretty good at hiding his bias when he commentates (professional is the adjective I'm looking for).

Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Picken....heart and soul
    Murphy....his clean handling under those conditions stood out
    Wood....we all know why

A:
    MC erred in not selecting Will today. Ayce fought hard but picking a bigger body was a no brainer today
    Thought Jongy struggled today....a number of mistakes. His position is safe though.
    Sydney are umpired by different rules
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    They actually apologised for barracking for us. It was bleeding obvious they were in it for the Dogs, but just figured the Swans would come over the top of us at the end. We all did.
    Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I didn't think they were too bad. They seemed to want the Dogs to win (they said as much at 3qtr time). I think Dunstall leaned their way with some of the dodgy free kicks/50s but Hudson's pretty good at hiding his bias when he commentates (professional is the adjective I'm looking for).
    Fair enough, I think they're shocking. Anyway, who cares about those flogs, we won!!!!
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]