Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  67
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We still love you Clay.

From where I was at the Footscray End you only just see him on the screen , we though at first it was Honeychurch until Smithy rolled over and grabbed his knee and we all went Oh sheet NNoooo , he had a tough time recovering from the last one , all the rehab makes a player feel like he is on the outside looking in
    Tough times ahead , we all wish Clay the very best for his recovery , both mental and physical

Post Thanks / Like

Just devastated for him.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

The awful horrible moment frozen in time

Robert Cianflone/Getty Images AsiaPacific

Post Thanks / Like

Clay, if anyone can do it, you can. Its just a new beginning. Stay positive and cede nullis. We are all behind you.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 09-05-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Just gutted when it happened. I couldn't even enjoy the 2nd quarter because of the injury. All I could think about was Clay during the half.

I'll be the guy to ask. Should we have subbed him when he went off the first time? They can do tests on the sideline but it's obviously not 100%. Judging by the way he went over so quickly it was weakened by the first jar. I don't know, with his history I would have went with the cotton wool approach. It's nice to say that in hindsight but I was really concerned when I saw him running out again.

Post Thanks / Like

Shit news !!
    All the best for Clay, and just wonder if Lars is worth the risk ?
    Seems the traditional knee reco isn't working

Post Thanks / Like

I hate that I just thought this.

Who's going to be the third knee reco?

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Clay,

Words cannot describe the disappointment I feel, I honestly can't comprehend what you're feeling, what's going through your head at the moment.

A few weekends ago, I was lucky enough to see your AFL return. One moment summarised your importance to this team. You won a free kick, perhaps a 50/50 one, but you went back to your mark, you settled, you kicked a goal.

Every single player on the field ran to you.

The celebrations made me feel good. I momentarily forgot my life's hardships, losses, even the moments of joy - I was in the moment.

A sensation welled over my body, one that overwhelms you. I had a few of the oppositions supporters next to me, along with a mate who shares my passion, who I was fortunate enough to become mates with since I upheaved my life from Adelaide (and without telling a lie, despite separation from my very close family, a move I made with my mind fixed on this football Club). We celebrated. We exchanged a glance that symbolised we knew what it meant. What it meant for US.

I watched your teammates, the joy, but mostly the sense of team, of doing anything and everything for your mates, which I was lucky enough to feel as an 'elite' high school athlete. Despite the obvious, and numerous, step ups from 'elite' school level, I smile knowingly at the mate-ship. To be a part of something, especially something which captures both the minds of those involved, and those who become a part of it for every reason, it's special. Take it from me, 13 years on, I hold these moments close. Your life will no doubt have better, more important moments - after all, it's footy - but to a bloke like me, they stay close. I suspect they will for you, too.

Your injury tonight, it hurt me. But I feel like I know you - you're tenacious, persistent, but most of all, a believer.

I believe in you.

We all do.

If you need anything, whatever and/or however trivial it sounds, ask, sing out. We are behind you, every step, every shit session or day, and of course the glorious times - I'm asking a lot, and while I otherwise consider it a rhetorical sentiment - but be there for us. Endure. Continue to believe. Because WE ALL DO.

This Club is on the verge of something special. Despite the media, and even without the hindsight of today, it WILL take time. We are building something that is going to make our respective waits, our torments, disappointments, fade to nothing. We're all in this together - everything else to one side - Clay, we need you. You're a piece of this fabric, this glue, this collective experience of continuously facing adversity head on.

You will face it. You will give me another of infinite reasons to love this Club till the day I move on for this world, premierships in tow.

Men of Mayhem.

Yet men of significantly more.

You will succeed Clay. You will taste the ultimate AFL success here.

I wish you all the best. We all do.

Believe with us Clay.
    Last edited by Go_Dogs; 09-05-2015 at 10:11 PM. Reason: My initial spelling and grammar was terrible...

Post Thanks / Like

I cried.

Just heartbroken for Clay and wishing him all the best and some luck. The game was secondary to me from that point, I feel it might have been for the rest of the boys too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Just gutted when it happened. I couldn't even enjoy the 2nd quarter because of the injury. All I could think about was Clay during the half.

I'll be the guy to ask. Should we have subbed him when he went off the first time? They can do tests on the sideline but it's obviously not 100%. Judging by the way he went over so quickly it was weakened by the first jar. I don't know, with his history I would have went with the cotton wool approach. It's nice to say that in hindsight but I was really concerned when I saw him running out again.
    Has the club make any statement on this? Dr Peter Larkins claimed on the radio we would be.
    I think questions need to be asked of our medical staff despite the fact they performed tests on Smith before clearing him to go back on. According to Larkins our medical staff knew the knee was compromised when Smith went back on so in my view the coaches needed to take a conservative approach and substitute him and then have scans on Monday. Why would you take any chance with a bloke three games back from a knee reco?
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

This is hard to take.

A guy who embodies everything I want to see in my players, probably cut down before we ever get to see him at his peak.

I haven't felt this down about a footy situation in ages.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Has the club make any statement on this? Dr Peter Larkins claimed on the radio we would be.
    I think questions need to be asked of our medical staff despite the fact they performed tests on Smith before clearing him to go back on. According to Larkins our medical staff knew the knee was compromised when Smith went back on so in my view the coaches needed to take a conservative approach and substitute him and then have scans on Monday. Why would you take any chance with a bloke three games back from a knee reco?
    The people around us had a brief chat at half time about it and everyone agreed that he should have been subbed first time around and the medical staff really needed to answer some questions. You just don't take that risk with a history like that. If we lose the game because of fewer rotations so be it, at least Clay would probably have some work to do and be able to play again this season.

The game we lost hurt like hell but the fact that a guy like Clay's season and maybe even career could be over is just devastating.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty sure Malceski has had 3 knee recos and is currently running around with a LARS reco.

Having gone through an ACL reconstruction myself, the thing that surprises be about all 3 of Clay's recos is that he has come back well inside the standard 12 months. He was back in full training and playing about 8 months in the first time and it collapsed 2 games in. And he was in full training and playing about 10 months in this time, with his knee lasting only a handful of games again. There is a medical school of thought out there that the graft needs a good 12 months to properly attach itself to the knee joint in order to adequately cope with the rigours of twisting and turning.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Pretty sure Malceski has had 3 knee recos and is currently running around with a LARS reco.

Having gone through an ACL reconstruction myself, the thing that surprises be about all 3 of Clay's recos is that he has come back well inside the standard 12 months. He was back in full training and playing about 8 months in the first time and it collapsed 2 games in. And he was in full training and playing about 10 months in this time, with his knee lasting only a handful of games again. There is a medical school of thought out there that the graft needs a good 12 months to properly attach itself to the knee joint in order to adequately cope with the rigours of twisting and turning.
    12 months was what I was told with mine. I was concerned when he was named earlier in the season. Flip side though is it could have happened anywhere.

I feel just awful for the guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Well its a tragedy to be sure. I hate to sound cruel, but the nature of these injuries suggests to me that Clay doesn't have the knees for AFL footy. That was a fairly standard sort of jump yesterday, it didn't look out of place from things most players do. And his other ACL came about from a similar amount of pressure. I don't think Clay has the body for AFL.