Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Review Panel: Fyfe Fined $1000, cleared to play

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A number of years ago I saw a Collingwood player (Tarpey I think) make a huge collision with his own team mate knocking him rotten.
    I wonder if we will ever get to the stage that 'dangerous play' isn't necessarily limited to collisions with the opposition?
    If it's dangerous it shouldn't matter.
    That post will find itself in the media. Fascinating question, and by the attitude of those administering the system you'd they would have to at some point. I remember reporting two nut case brothers in a reserves game in about 1999 for punching each other (nut cases as they were so crazy and aggressive even their team mates were telling opposition players not to break it up). I think they both got 3 or 4 each. Extending reportable incidents to other team mates in dangerous play only seems logical, as does the outcry from the players association.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I am disappointed. A knee injury can ruin a playing career. If it was intentional is he still the fairest player in the comp?
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

3. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe best Fyfe, but not fairest.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Not defending Steven May's suspension (which was quite ridiculous in severity) but the two examples are not at all similar.

Riewoldt came in to tackle and the players heads clashed in the process. Just unfortunate and incidental.
    Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    Agree.

Aside from intentional headbutts headclashes are kind of exempt imo. Riewoldts tackle had an unfortunate result but it was not malicious or even particularly careless. Besides unlike the May case they can't do the whole "he had other options".
    I don't see anything different. May was going the side bump and his shoulder hit the players head. Riewoldt came in like a steam train and his head hit Smith's and concussed him. Tell me where they are different.

It is not unfortunate and incidental, he should tackle properly and not concuss a player. The AFL rules have been changed to protect the head, unless you are Nick Riewoldt of course. If the two players were both going for the ball, then I agree with you about accidental clash of heads, but Smith had the ball and was tackled with force.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    That post will find itself in the media. Fascinating question, and by the attitude of those administering the system you'd they would have to at some point. I remember reporting two nut case brothers in a reserves game in about 1999 for punching each other (nut cases as they were so crazy and aggressive even their team mates were telling opposition players not to break it up). I think they both got 3 or 4 each. Extending reportable incidents to other team mates in dangerous play only seems logical, as does the outcry from the players association.
    It might be an urban myth but didn't the VFL bring in the overarching rule of bringing the game into disrepute because Steve MacPherson got reported for belting an opposition runner, and when he went before the tribunal he asked where it said in the rules you couldn't hit a runner. It wasn't mentioned so they let him off.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

7. Likes G-Mo77, Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I don't see anything different. May was going the side bump and his shoulder hit the players head. Riewoldt came in like a steam train and his head hit Smith's and concussed him. Tell me where they are different.

It is not unfortunate and incidental, he should tackle properly and not concuss a player. The AFL rules have been changed to protect the head, unless you are Nick Riewoldt of course. If the two players were both going for the ball, then I agree with you about accidental clash of heads, but Smith had the ball and was tackled with force.
    I can't agree at all.

I'm in the camp that thought May's suspension was bullshit, he did the right thing and only knocked Rockliff out because Rockliff was too stupid to anticipate or intitiate what was the obvious thing to do at that point, bump. Having said that though the tribunal argued that May should have gone the ball, which was a viable alterntive, even though I think May took the better and more logical option.

Riewoldt did come flying in and the tackle was weirdly executed. If he had have concussed Smith with any other body part I'd be all for him getting looked at, but the head clash was neither intentional or beneficial in any way to either player. Head clashes have never been reportable or even a free kick.

The AFL has cracked down on head high bumps because they are reckless and a conscious choice by the player, therefore preventable. A head clash is never intentional, and while the tackle was poorly executed in the end its a bad message to punish someone for purely accidental contact, especially when the only other option would be to absolutely kill him with a bump and potentially be ruled out for 4 weeks.

As for Riewoldt getting off because of who he is, I don't see it. I hate the guy as much as anyone, but the reason he got off has nothing to do with who he is.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    I can't agree at all.

I'm in the camp that thought May's suspension was bullshit, he did the right thing and only knocked Rockliff out because Rockliff was too stupid to anticipate or intitiate what was the obvious thing to do at that point, bump. Having said that though the tribunal argued that May should have gone the ball, which was a viable alterntive, even though I think May took the better and more logical option.

Riewoldt did come flying in and the tackle was weirdly executed. If he had have concussed Smith with any other body part I'd be all for him getting looked at, but the head clash was neither intentional or beneficial in any way to either player. Head clashes have never been reportable or even a free kick.

The AFL has cracked down on head high bumps because they are reckless and a conscious choice by the player, therefore preventable. A head clash is never intentional, and while the tackle was poorly executed in the end its a bad message to punish someone for purely accidental contact, especially when the only other option would be to absolutely kill him with a bump and potentially be ruled out for 4 weeks.

As for Riewoldt getting off because of who he is, I don't see it. I hate the guy as much as anyone, but the reason he got off has nothing to do with who he is.
    Well I can't see why you can hit someone with your head and not be reported but if its a shoulder you can be reported.

We will have to agree to disagree.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    It might be an urban myth but didn't the VFL bring in the overarching rule of bringing the game into disrepute because Steve MacPherson got reported for belting an opposition runner, and when he went before the tribunal he asked where it said in the rules you couldn't hit a runner. It wasn't mentioned so they let him off.
    That's hilarious.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Similar story - A few years ago Jonathan Brown was charged with "Unduly Rough Play" as a result of an incident that happened after the quarter time siren.

The Brisbane Lions argued successfully that because the game was not in progress, i.e. the players weren't "in play", the charge could not be sustained.

The offence was quirckly amended from Rough play to rough conduct.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be kidding. The rules, and precedents, are very clear about choosing to tackle rather than choosing to bump.
    Riewoldt comes in clearly attempting to tackle, actually does execute a tackle but in the process of Smith moving and the angle Riewoldt comes in on - they end up both clashing heads.

Its a 360 degree game, played at a frenetic pace. These sort of incidents will occur from time to time. I don't see either player being in the wrong. Riewoldt is allowed to 'tackle with force'....he is encouraged to tackle with force...unfortunately for him, the head clash meant he was knocked out cold midway through. He is also allowed to run at, and tackle a player 'like a steam train'....this is also encouraged and lauded by coaches, fans and players.

I find your attitude towards this case to be based on it being Riewoldt involved. And to me, that is petty.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I can't see why you can hit someone with your head and not be reported but if its a shoulder you can be reported.

We will have to agree to disagree.
    Do you think there will be an insurgence of players running around smashing other players heads, with their heads, leaving them both knocked out?

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think there will be an insurgence of players running around smashing other players heads, with their heads, leaving them both knocked out?
    Of course not.

I am merely pointing out the inconsistency with rules.

I am also not being petty, I am expressing my opinion. You have your opinion I have mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Of course not.

I am merely pointing out the inconsistency with rules.

I am also not being petty, I am expressing my opinion. You have your opinion I have mine.

It isn't an inconsistency in the rules. He has chosen to tackle. The players have clashed heads. If he had chosen to bump - he would likely have been penalised, but rather, he did exactly what the current rules of the game would suggest he should.

The comment about pettiness comes in - when you say "unless of course you're Nick Riewoldt".

Post Thanks / Like

It isn't an inconsistency in the rules. He has chosen to tackle.
    ok, tell me this, if Riewoldt tried to tackle but instead of hitting Smith with his head but with a round arm that happen to concuss him, what would be the outcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Fyfe kicked Kobe.

It was not a trip.

Great message to send to the lower leagues.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon