Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruckman Roughy?

Post Thanks / Like

Ruckman Roughy?

Our four young tall defenders are all showing promising signs this season. Talia has improved massively under Beveridge and looks at least a good enough KP defender option in a good side. Roberts had his best game on the weekend against the best of opposition. Should only get better. Really, really like the look of Hamling and Zaine Cordy as both athletes and footballers.

Basically I rate (at least in the long term) our fourth young tall defender outside of Roughy more than any of our rucks. Do we move Roughy back to the ruck? Only issue IMO is that Talia is the only one of the four who suits playing on a gorilla.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ruckman Roughy?

Call me outdated but I'd prefer to see Will come back in this week for Ayce and leave our backline as it is to continue to develop as a tight unit. Will's effort, particularly his work on the spread, has lifted enough to deserve a recall and provide some needed big body support around the stoppages.

3. Thanks AndrewP6, F'scary thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think so. I'd like him to be our swing man, a much better option of Leigh Brown. He's a solid to good defender on tall and slow forwards, he's a good ruckman and with education can be a better forward. I think he's good enough to play most roles for a guy his size, and I think Bevo would love the flexibility he would offer the team. I still think we should go after a top line tall defender to seal this deal, but our kids are looking much better down back.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I am meaning more long term than this week. As in the long term future of this squad/team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I am meaning more long term than this week. As in the long term future of this squad/team.
    If it's beyond Will's tenure with us then I would hope that Tom Campbell has progressed enough to hold down our number 1 ruck position. He's not there as yet.

I would like to see Jordan continue his development as a key defender and if / when both Talia and Roberts can hold down these posts then look to use Jordan like Hawthorn does his cousin.

Post Thanks / Like

Hows Rougheads endurance? He always seem to be struggling throughout a game particularly after a second effort. Anyone know where he sits at the club?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure he's rucked very well in the spurts he's rucked this year, and I think offers us more as a key back. I've also seen him do plenty of good work cutting balls off as a defender, but not as well - albeit from limited exposure - leading to the ball.

Put it this way, I think the team loses more through having him ruck moderately well and leaving a hole in defence, than what we lose with him in defence and Cordy rucking poorly and doing moderately well around the ground.

We just need Cordy to get stronger over the next year or two, Campbell to get a shot when he's earned it, and our recruiting team to coax a competitive ruck from another club at the end of this year.

Let's not weaken a building part of our line up just to maybe improve an obvious weakness.

9. Likes Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't make that move at the moment but maybe Bevo might. I'd wait until Morris was available before considering it.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Our four young tall defenders are all showing promising signs this season. Talia has improved massively under Beveridge and looks at least a good enough KP defender option in a good side. Roberts had his best game on the weekend against the best of opposition. Should only get better. Really, really like the look of Hamling and Zaine Cordy as both athletes and footballers.

Basically I rate (at least in the long term) our fourth young tall defender outside of Roughy more than any of our rucks. Do we move Roughy back to the ruck? Only issue IMO is that Talia is the only one of the four who suits playing on a gorilla.
    We are at least a year away from making that move, but do like your thinking.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

He always was a ruckman and in the phantoms they said his tapwork was a highlight. He hasnt played as a ruck for a couple of years so it might take him a while to get back to it.

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...ordan-Roughead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    He always was a ruckman and in the phantoms they said his tapwork was a highlight. He hasnt played as a ruck for a couple of years so it might take him a while to get back to it.
    Was the only ruckman to beat Nic Nat so most scribes said. As you say, tap work was his strength.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Like his work as a backman, and haven't been convinced by any of his ruck work.
    Word is Will's defensive efforts are keeping him out of the side.
    Not convinced him or Campbell get across the ground well enough .

Post Thanks / Like

Pre-draft he was the most natural of the "tap" ruckman available that year.
    He jumps noticeably higher than Cordy in the centre contests and he is certainly flexible being able to play multiple positions.

Perhaps the longer term plan is to have him share duties with Cordy 50/50 and they can both stay on the ground in different positions when not rucking?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think Roughead is too important in defence to be moved into a permanent ruck role.

These days, most teams have a 200cm forward, so there is always a natural match up for Roughy. But also, Roughead's ability at marking the high long ball in defence is incredible valuable. He is also a super reliable kick and good decision maker. I always feel we are pretty safe with the ball in his hands. Even when receiving a handball or gathering a loose ball, he is pretty competent in getting around a tackler (or getting his arms free) to distribute the ball.

Overall, I just think he is a really important defender for us and a real steadying influence.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Personally, I think Roughead is too important in defence to be moved into a permanent ruck role.

These days, most teams have a 200cm forward, so there is always a natural match up for Roughy. But also, Roughead's ability at marking the high long ball in defence is incredible valuable. He is also a super reliable kick and good decision maker. I always feel we are pretty safe with the ball in his hands. Even when receiving a handball or gathering a loose ball, he is pretty competent in getting around a tackler (or getting his arms free) to distribute the ball.

Overall, I just think he is a really important defender for us and a real steadying influence.
    Agree. I think Roughead is a very good key defender and a potentially average to good ruck/forward. He needs the support of a quick key defender, along with Talia as an endurance type tallish defender. If we can find that player then we're pretty set for most teams set ups.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

18. Likes Cyberdoggie liked this post