Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Post-match press conferences

Just watched both Bevo's and Lyon's post-match presser, and the difference in approach and attitude couldn't have been more stark.

Lyon went first, and he absolutely refused to concede anything at all to the Dogs today. He rolled out the cliche "all credit to them" whilst simultaneously dismantling any argument that the Dogs had indeed showed anything more than a few "sneaky balls out the back". He went on about the Etihad surface (no doubt as Evidence Exhibit A in the Fyfe Case) being shonky, he looked smug and dismissive when asked about our ruck change-up and basically made an arse of himself.

Cue Luke. He gets asked many of the same questions and handled them beautifully. He gave real, beyond-the-cliche credit to Fremantle whilst still claiming we could've won the match if a ground ball had've transpired differently. He stuck up for his players without necessarily belittling the Fremantle guys. When asked about the surface, he pointed out that two teams played on it, there'd been 3-4 matches this weekend on it and that he thought it was a good surface overall. He just seemed so much more willing to acknowledge his place moreso than Lyon.

Here's where I add my disclaimer: I hate Lyon with a passion and refer to him as Football's Antichrist. However, I was interested in your thoughts on post-match pressers as a rule? Who do you think are the best and worst to listen to? For every Mick Malthouse or Ross Lyon there is a Phil Walsh or Luke Beveridge. Who are your favourites and why?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Post-match press conferences

Very good post!
    I too am no fan of Smugly Lyon and his almost patronising tone.
    As bristly as he can be at times i think Clarko goes about it the right way win or lose.

3. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who tells it straight. Bomber Thompsons last year were awesome.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As we all know being a coach is not only about being able to direct your players and tactically assign them roles, tasks and positions, it is being a leader of men, a leader of 50 different personailities, styles of blokes and most of all individuals, its about fusing them together, taking thier strengths and weaknesses and melding them into a cohesive team.

Lyons total inability to inspire and apply creative thinking (he has coached the same way for his whole career) will put him into the annuls of a one trick pony, who by virtue of his negativity upon everything else apart from what he does as a sour grumpy old bugger.

I have no doubt that his style of game play wins matches, and as a tactician he has drilled that team and st kilda before it to within an inch of thier lives, but is it enough? It was good enough to get to the big dance, but there is no "special trick he plays" no "plan B" Ive got no doubt in my mind when our players get to the 90-120 game mark they are going to cut through a playing style like he employs like a hot knife through butter.

Ross Lyon needs another 5% out of himself and his players, I honestly dont think he has that 5% to give.

Give me a guy who throws caution to the wind any day. Plough when he started with us was that, Rocket had us run from half back, and it seems Bevo is all about offense. gotta say, id rather die trying that know that you are very good but never great enough.

Post Thanks / Like

I certainly didn't enjoy Macca's press conferences. I feel more positive listening to Bevo. Lyon is just a bore
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the 'out the back' dismissal, like linking up through the midfield and slicing though an oppositions defensive structure until you can kick long to a 1:1 contest is somehow cheating.

9. Likes Raw Toast, soupman, N/A liked this post
    From Melbourne, to London and now Perth WA
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornAScragger View Post
    Just watched both Bevo's and Lyon's post-match presser, and the difference in approach and attitude couldn't have been more stark.

Lyon went first, and he absolutely refused to concede anything at all to the Dogs today. He rolled out the cliche "all credit to them" whilst simultaneously dismantling any argument that the Dogs had indeed showed anything more than a few "sneaky balls out the back". He went on about the Etihad surface (no doubt as Evidence Exhibit A in the Fyfe Case) being shonky, he looked smug and dismissive when asked about our ruck change-up and basically made an arse of himself.

Cue Luke. He gets asked many of the same questions and handled them beautifully. He gave real, beyond-the-cliche credit to Fremantle whilst still claiming we could've won the match if a ground ball had've transpired differently. He stuck up for his players without necessarily belittling the Fremantle guys. When asked about the surface, he pointed out that two teams played on it, there'd been 3-4 matches this weekend on it and that he thought it was a good surface overall. He just seemed so much more willing to acknowledge his place moreso than Lyon.

Here's where I add my disclaimer: I hate Lyon with a passion and refer to him as Football's Antichrist. However, I was interested in your thoughts on post-match pressers as a rule? Who do you think are the best and worst to listen to? For every Mick Malthouse or Ross Lyon there is a Phil Walsh or Luke Beveridge. Who are your favourites and why?
    Good thread.

I actually really rate Lyon, think he's great for the game and if he ever ends up winning a flag, he'll go down as a great coach.

That said, there is something special about Bevo... And this comes through in almost all of what he does... I love watching his press conferences and the way he thinks through he's responses. Comes across as genuine, passionate and absolutely loyal to his players. Love it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ross is a graceless turd, but we knew that
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Beautifully articulated! One of the great things about AFL is that you are given a license to hate - it's even encouraged as long as your polite about it. Why do you hate Lyon so much BAS?
    Official Cartoonist for the Western Bulldogs. True!

13. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firstdogonthemoon View Post
    Beautifully articulated! One of the great things about AFL is that you are given a license to hate - it's even encouraged as long as your polite about it. Why do you hate Lyon so much BAS?
    Like many of the great hates in my lifetime, I never truly know ALL the reasons. I guess primarily his arrogant smugness. Especially at St Kilda he continually acted like we were all idiots for not realising his was the greatest coached team to ever grace the grass. That ball bounce in front of Milne in the first GF of 2010 wasn't fate, it was justice. He's the type of kid who takes his bat and ball home when he loses. He has an opinion of himself and an estimation of his own abilities that would rival Tony Abbott's in both its deluded strength and its misplaced inaccuracy.

He can make the monkeys dance in line and to the tune, but he will never win a flag because he is totally inflexible. His whole style is inflexible, and sometimes the footy gods just have different ideas than he does. Idiots, those footy gods...

15. Likes G-Mo77, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Make no mistake, Lyon is probably in the top two or three in the competition from a strategy sense, and he's probably in the top two for player buy in.

Sure he carries on like a bit of a buffoon in press conferences like he did today, but trust me, that's all part of his strategy in getting his team on board and knowing he has their backs.

His commentary about the far side of the ground and its slipping was just a ruse to get out of having to comment about a clear trip from his star player. It was perfectly executed, because nobody in the media actually followed up with the obvious question of "why did Nat, irrespective of the surface issues, kick the guy"..........

Beveridge looked very frustrated in his presser.

17. Likes Remi Moses, Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Ross is a graceless turd, but we knew that
    He is a graceless turd, but a bloody good coach.
    I think Freo are good to watch, and I think he deserves a flag.
    Thankfully that wasn't with those p***** we played last week!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    He is a graceless turd, but a bloody good coach.
    I think Freo are good to watch, and I think he deserves a flag.
    Thankfully that wasn't with those p***** we played last week!!
    Yep, brilliantly coached side. I couldn't have been more impressed with how quickly they can turn from defence to attack and vice versa - their ability as a team to get to the right spots is peerless at the moment.

As for his press conference, what smugness. He could seriously do with a slice of humility.

Post Thanks / Like

Wait til we see what sort of state he leaves Freos list in when he bails on them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Yep, brilliantly coached side. I couldn't have been more impressed with how quickly they can turn from defence to attack and vice versa - their ability as a team to get to the right spots is peerless at the moment.

As for his press conference, what smugness. He could seriously do with a slice of humility.
    It was served to him in 2010. He just refused to eat it.