Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Development update with Chris Maple - May 21 - 2015

LINK

Shane Biggs

Shane had another solid performance on the weekend, his rebounding off half back has been impressive as has his ball use. He creates a lot of opportunities for our forwards with his rebound.

Tom Campbell

Tom played mostly in the forward/ruck role, did well with the hit outs, had a lot of competition with Dawson Simpson so it was a good result from Tom. He kicked a nice goal after a strong mark.

Zaine Cordy

We were really impressed with how Zaine went about his work, playing as a defender. He got quite a bit of the ball and repelled a lot of attack. He positioned well and really read the play exceptionally.

Caleb Daniel

Caleb generally played as a forward this week and got a lot of the ball, and as usual tried to use it really well. It was great to see him doing well.

Sam Darley

It was Sam’s first game back after an injury. He played off half-back, had a high-20 possession game and just rebounded really well for us. He’s offensive side of his game was really impressive so it was a great return from Sam.

Jarrad Grant

Jarrad kicked four goals and played a variety of positions. He’s going really well at the moment, he’s putting on some really good pressure, in and around the ball and that’s what we’re after with Jarrad, using his speed for offence and defence. It was just a strong performance from Jarrad.

Declan Hamilton

Declan had a really good game, 22 possessions. He kicked a nice goal crumbing off the pack. He played a variety of roles and really good to see him up and about and playing some good footy.

Joel Hamling

Joel was a real pillar in defence as a key defender. He repelled attacks all day and was really impressive with how he went about his work. He was one of the best players on the day.

Jack Macrae

Jack had a really strong performance. He had a lot of possession and worked hard when he didn’t have the ball, and they’re the things that we want to continue to see from Jack, it was a solid performance.

Toby McLean

Toby kicked a goal, he’s still showing AFL traits. He’s working hard on his game and will continue to do so. He plays a variety of roles which we’re really impressed with and he has a real thirst to tackle, and that’s what we saw with his six or seven tackles on the weekend.

Daniel Pearce

Bit of a change up for Daniel this week, he played as an inside mid. He drove hard at the ball and was pretty good around the stoppages, gave us some really good supply out of the stoppage, it was a really solid game from Daniel.

Josh Prudden

Josh played across half-back, he was a real general down there. Some great spoils, run from behind, and ball use was exceptional. He’s a good character Josh and it’s great to see him back playing some really good footy.

Jack Redpath

Jack kicked a couple of goals. It was probably a quieter game for Jack but it was good to see him bounce back in the last quarter and put a lot of forward pressure on and that’s what we’re after from Jack.

Roarke Smith

Roarke played across half-back, got in some really good positions. He rebounded well and used the ball well and that’s one of Roarke’s focus areas. It was really good to see him get quite a bit of the ball and provide a lot of run across half-back.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Development update with Chris Maple - May 21 - 2015

No Developement Update for Minnow.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Redpath has lost his way a bit since good signs in preseason.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Templeton31 View Post
    Sounds like Redpath has lost his way a bit since good signs in preseason.
    Redpath should have been moved to defence two years ago. He's a decent VFL forward, but to make the grade, he needs to play defence. His hands aren't quite AFL forward standard, but he could be a great minder of monsters down back... And we need key defenders. With Redpath in defence, suddenly Roughead is free to be so much more to us.

I know we had him in defence for a while, but we should have persisted. I feel it's an opportunity missed by the club.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Redpath should have been moved to defence two years ago. He's a decent VFL forward, but to make the grade, he needs to play defence. His hands aren't quite AFL forward standard, but he could be a great minder of monsters down back... And we need key defenders. With Redpath in defence, suddenly Roughead is free to be so much more to us.

I know we had him in defence for a while, but we should have persisted. I feel it's an opportunity missed by the club.
    Our key position defence depths are very solid at the moment - Roughead, Talia, Roberts, Hamling , Z.Cordy. The Club has been patient with Big Jack and he deserves a chance to grow and develop as a Key Forward . He's done it tough to get where he is now , coming back from two left knee reconstruction's is hard work for a fella his size . There is strong competition for senior starting positions and having Jack chafing at the bit with the VFL side keeps Crameri and Stringer on their toes

Post Thanks / Like

I think our ruck stocks are a worry. Redpath moving back means Roughead could have become the around the ground ruckman we've been looking for. Hamling hasn't even made the AFL as yet. I watch him every week and he's beginning to worry me a little.

I don't know if we're as deep back there as you might think. Roberts is on the cusp, Talia struggled last week (although he's clearly improved) and Cordy will only ever be a third tall. Redpath could be a Lake-type monster negator. He's also a way better kick than Talia and Hamling. I think that the arrival of Boyd means that, with Crameri and Stringer, there's only spots left for crumbers and defensive forwards in our forward line. Redpath's chances are limited.

I like Redpath a lot. He tries hard, hits packs hard and clearly frightens opposition players. He has a good physique, is powerful and hurts people. I think he could've bothered Pavlich on Sunday and would be a foil for Hawkins, Cloke, Schultz, and North's forwards. Like Michael Hurley, I just don't think he's quite got it as an AFL forward, but has the tools to be a great AFL defender.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure why we would invest so much time and effort to develop Roughy as a gorilla key back, then try and reinvent him as a ruck!
    For me we look at seasons end for a mature of some sorts mobile big bloke .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I'm not sure why we would invest so much time and effort to develop Roughy as a gorilla key back, then try and reinvent him as a ruck!
    For me we look at seasons end for a mature of some sorts mobile big bloke .
    Because we didnt have any key defenders and we had Minson in the ruck, we re-invented Roughy as a key defender.
    Now that situation is reversed we might be looking to un-reinvent him back into a ruck?

I think its interesting that Daniel played as a forward - due to fitness levels, or because we have a bunch of smalls that we would like to be able to rotate between midfield and forward - Dicko, Hunter, Hrovat, Dal, Daniel: they cant all fit in the forward line but they could fit between mid/forward and bench at any given time and maintain our intensity.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    Because we didnt have any key defenders and we had Minson in the ruck, we re-invented Roughy as a key defender.
    Now that situation is reversed we might be looking to un-reinvent him back into a ruck?

I think its interesting that Daniel played as a forward - due to fitness levels, or because we have a bunch of smalls that we would like to be able to rotate between midfield and forward - Dicko, Hunter, Hrovat, Dal, Daniel: they cant all fit in the forward line but they could fit between mid/forward and bench at any given time and maintain our intensity.
    Why send mixed messages to the guy though?
    We've developed him as a key back for a few years, and then throw him as first ruck?
    There's no exposed form on Roughy as an adequate ruck either