Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Why doesn't Tom Boyd lead?

It's an interesting question. Maybe he has been told to stay deep as long as he can to get the ball to the square. If he clunks it well and good but if he doesn't 99% of the time he brings the ball to ground where we have a couple decent crumbers.

He does have to develop the art of leading though. Fitness plays a big part in this. Nick Diver Riewoldt is very smart at leading and it's his multiple leads that works defenders over with pure gut running. Tommy needs to build up his fitness before we see him master this art. As others have stated he is still only 19 so there's plenty of time

2. Likes 1eyedog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That part of his game will develop with time.

If you watch his game closely it is significant how often he is the one to get first hands on the ball in a pack marking situation. With a few preseasons under his belt, Tom is going to hold most of those as he develops his upper body strength.
    Footscray member since 1980.

4. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He may be camped in the goal square by design.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    He may be camped in the goal square by design.

Tom tries to draw as many defenders deep to him so Stringer and Dickson can roam around the half forward line unmolested is the ploy from what I can see. Yesterday even Roughy was taking advantage of the free spaces about 40-50 metres out from our goal that keep opening up as defenders run back to take position to block any movement from Boyd.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

7. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This frustrates me with Redpath as well. Even if you can't get separation, at least direct the kicker to kick it in front of you instead of on your head, inviting a 3rd man up to come over the top whilst you are flat footed.

If his role is to bring the ball to ground, he will do a much better job of that if he gets a running jump at the ball
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it must be a game plan.

Post Thanks / Like

I think it's part of the plan. The coach wants him to draw defenders deep inside 50m to create space for other players like Dickson and Stringer to lead into, and if they can't find space then we have an outlet to bring the ball to ground and provide an opportunity for us to crumb goals or lock the ball in, along with taking the occasional pack mark.

We'll start to see him lead more as he gets fitter and can put in more 2nd and 3rd efforts, but for now we just want him to give the forward line structure.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

11. Likes N/A, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's part game plan and part Tom playing to his strengths. He is so strong in one on one contests that it is the avenue through which he is most likely to contribute. But as we have noted he is perhaps a touch slow, and has a tendency to drop marks when he is at full acceleration.

Tom is likely to play better if used as a stay at home forward, and therefore likely to contribute better to the team.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Tom is obviously our only true key forward capable of taking big contested pack marks, makes sense. Crameri, Stringer, Grant and Dickson are all leading players or kick goals in general play.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Tom is obviously our only true key forward capable of taking big contested pack marks, makes sense. Crameri, Stringer, Grant and Dickson are all leading players or kick goals in general play.

I think out of those players that Grant is the best tradional type leading forward. Dickson is a clever forward, strong overhead Mark who runs to the right spots and nails 9 shots out 10. Stringer is a miracle man and is a Gary Ablett type of forward-fast, strong as a bull, likes to go for the big mark, see ball get ball then kick a goal who can change a game in 15 minutes of devastation. Crameri is good in a contest, strong overhead, is very good at drawing a free kick like Johnno was and is usually pretty consistent.

I like that combination. I think they compliment one another well. It means that Tom can stay close to goal as a clear and present danger.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

15. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think out of those players that Grant is the best tradional type leading forward. Dickson is a clever forward, strong overhead Mark who runs to the right spots and nails 9 shots out 10. Stringer is a miracle man and is a Gary Ablett type of forward-fast, strong as a bull, likes to go for the big mark, see ball get ball then kick a goal who can change a game in 15 minutes of devastation. Crameri is good in a contest, strong overhead, is very good at drawing a free kick like Johnno was and is usually pretty consistent.

I like that combination. I think they compliment one another well. It means that Tom can stay close to goal as a clear and present danger.
    Or, as some pundits know it, the Harrison Ford effect.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

But he is such a good long kick for goal and he should be really hard to stop 1:1. I really hope he turns out to be a CHF. Will be a waste to park him in the goal square long term. There are plenty of giant lumoxes that can create a contest and clunk the occasional pack mark if thats all we require. Play two rucks and rest one at FF if it comes to that.

Post Thanks / Like

One word - Fitness.

He does lead, but not very often, and never repetitively. He'll get fitter, and he'll lead more. Just like he'll get stronger and he'll take more marks.

He's still a fat kid (by AFL standards) getting used to trying not to be a fat kid whilst he's still a little bit fat. Once he's not a fat kid (by AFL standards), and a fit kid (by AFL standards) he'll do a lot more of the athletic stuff.

19. Likes The Underdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stefoid View Post
    But he is such a good long kick for goal and he should be really hard to stop 1:1. I really hope he turns out to be a CHF. Will be a waste to park him in the goal square long term. There are plenty of giant lumoxes that can create a contest and clunk the occasional pack mark if thats all we require. Play two rucks and rest one at FF if it comes to that.
    Perhaps Redpath can fill this role? Leads well and kicks well, more of a Jason Dunstall type minus the 1200 goals.