Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordon, McGuire, Koch etc on Fox now

Round table. Should be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gordon, McGuire, Koch etc on Fox now

I love listening to etc! Their ideas are the best!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I love listening to etc! Their ideas are the best!
    Yeah, sorry, Pridham from Swans is "Mr Etc"!

Post Thanks / Like

Well i take that back then - his ideas suck.

I get the feeling Gordon could be in for a frustrating night.

Post Thanks / Like

Gordon's doing well. Taking on Eddie, but giving Pridham a bit of a whack for pointing out that he was at the Presidents' meeting in 1994 to decide the future of the Swans (ie to bail out or not bail out) and it was then Collingwood president, Allan McAllister, who cast the deciding vote to save them.

So he's working the room nicely..... (Or he worked the room... Think it's taped!)

Now onto the Wheeler sacking..

6. Thanks azabob, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Gordo sounds almost regretful on sacking Wheels.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

How is the Wheeler sacking relevant?

Post Thanks / Like

Issue of coach treatment & sackings in the industry came up. Thus the question from Whateley.

10. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Asking how presidents deal with the decision to take the most drastic action, Ie. sacking a coach.

Gordo just shot a legal bazooka at the AFL. Words to the effect of 'if the AFL use the three strikes policy to take away the right of a player to play because of illicit drug taking then the AFL would most likely be sued and they would most likely lose the case'.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Koch and McGuire just drip egotism. Eddie tends to talk over people. Pridham was pisspoor in his deflection of Gordon's point about Collingwood essentially saving Sydney in '94.

Maybe I'm biased... (actually I'm probably biased!), but Gordon has these blokes lapped. I remember how green he was in the early 90's. It was all pretty bare knuckled and loose. The bloke put his proverbials on the line (thank Christ!) and had to learn on the job with probably the most challenging sports job in the country at the time. He seemed to just be a gutsy (and slightly awkward) young bloke who loved his club and was having a dip. At least to me as a young bloke unfairly comparing him to Bill Clinton - who was in the news quite a bit at that time!!

Now, 20-25 years on, he's got a really good blend of the statesman and the Everyman about him. He's been there, done that. He's got the kudos and the respect of the footy world. He's obviously gained the business acumen in his time away, too. Maybe it's because I'm older and more able to keep up with the debate a bit better, but he also seems very sharp, on point and assured. He's got the air of intimidation about him, now. Something he probably didn't have in his arsenal 20 years ago.

I guess it's natural progression with age and experience, but what a uniquely perfect CV he's got to be heading up an AFL Footy Club?
    The way he's shaped and worked the equalisation debate, for example, has been very shrewd. I remember when he came back into the role, thinking "oh back to those days.. Back to the future!" To be honest, I thought no one must've put their hand up for it and that he'd had to step in again. However it's become apparent that he's really grown and developed so many more strings to his bow. He's a businessman now and a savvy political operator. The perfect presidential animal.

14. Likes comrade, hujsh, boydogs, Smads57, jazzadogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Koch and McGuire just drip egotism. Eddie tends to talk over people. Pridham was pisspoor in his deflection of Gordon's point about Collingwood essentially saving Sydney in '94.

Maybe I'm biased... (actually I'm probably biased!), but Gordon has these blokes lapped. I remember how green he was in the early 90's. It was all pretty bare knuckled and loose. The bloke put his proverbials on the line (thank Christ!) and had to learn on the job with probably the most challenging sports job in the country at the time. He seemed to just be a gutsy (and slightly awkward) young bloke who loved his club and was having a dip. At least to me as a young bloke unfairly comparing him to Bill Clinton - who was in the news quite a bit at that time!!

Now, 20-25 years on, he's got a really good blend of the statesman and the Everyman about him. He's been there, done that. He's got the kudos and the respect of the footy world. He's obviously gained the business acumen in his time away, too. Maybe it's because I'm older and more able to keep up with the debate a bit better, but he also seems very sharp, on point and assured. He's got the air of intimidation about him, now. Something he probably didn't have in his arsenal 20 years ago.

I guess it's natural progression with age and experience, but what a uniquely perfect CV he's got to be heading up an AFL Footy Club?
    The way he's shaped and worked the equalisation debate, for example, has been very shrewd. I remember when he came back into the role, thinking "oh back to those days.. Back to the future!" To be honest, I thought no one must've put their hand up for it and that he'd had to step in again. However it's become apparent that he's really grown and developed so many more strings to his bow. He's a businessman now and a savvy political operator. The perfect presidential animal.
    Great summary, Webby.

I share similar sentiments and feel he's the perfect person to lead a small market team. Shrewd, skilled at negotiation and experienced in taking on organisations.

If he could just somehow conjure up a deal that permanently brings back AFL games to Whitten Oval, he will go down as the greatest sports administrator of all time (in my eyes).
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    If he could just somehow conjure up a deal that permanently brings back AFL games to Whitten Oval, he will go down as the greatest sports administrator of all time (in my eyes).
    I reckon there's a chance that could happen, but, reading the tea leaves, I reckon the issues at Etihad and the land value it sits on mean that the AFL may sell it for its land value and build a new stadium between the Melbourne Eye Wheel and Footscray. If not, developing WO into a boutique TV stadium would be a goer. Either way, I'd be happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Great summary, Webby.

I share similar sentiments and feel he's the perfect person to lead a small market team. Shrewd, skilled at negotiation and experienced in taking on organisations.

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I reckon there's a chance that could happen, but, reading the tea leaves, I reckon the issues at Etihad and the land value it sits on mean that the AFL may sell it for its land value and build a new stadium between the Melbourne Eye Wheel and Footscray. If not, developing WO into a boutique TV stadium would be a goer. Either way, I'd be happy.

Me too. PG has murmured on a few occasions now that he'd like to see Whitten Oval hosting AFL games.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Me too. PG has murmured on a few occasions now that he'd like to see Whitten Oval hosting AFL games.
    Do we own the ground? That is to ask, could we earn an income from hosting games with us or other teams playing?

Post Thanks / Like

The first topic discussed was on that of equalisation which of course Peter continued what so often is his lone fight for the numerous battler Clubs. Hopefully one day some of these other battler Clubs can start sharing the load.

Had to laugh with PG's segway into the topic where he clearly placed Ed and himself at the opposing ends of this debate saying that his biggest ever argument across his two terms as President was with Eddie on this issue of competitive balance. Ed could no longer try and play Mr Nice Guy in stating support for equalisation. As Peter put it, self interest will often rise to the top and this was no more apparent tonight with Eddie's and Pridham's views on this matter. As for Kochie, he seemed to be playing for Switzerland.