Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  23
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

We're good again

5 and 4 with close ones against the Aints and Freo. Could just as easily be sitting 7 and 2 with Sydney and West Coke, both of whom we have beaten incidentally. We've also knocked off the other top 4 team in GWS and had the ladder leader by the scruff of the neck with a minute to go.

It's true if we bring the pressure we beat anyone but can it last? Is this our 2006?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: We're good again

It does have a surreal feeling about this season for me. The results show we have beaten 5 of the top 8 sides and like you say we almost pinched one against Freo. We can definitely mix it with the best. I don't think we were this good so early in 2006. This year is definitely a learning curve for such a young team and who knows how far they can go.

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    5 and 4 with close ones against the Aints and Freo. Could just as easily be sitting 7 and 2 with Sydney and West Coke, both of whom we have beaten incidentally. We've also knocked off the other top 4 team in GWS and had the ladder leader by the scruff of the neck with a minute to go.

It's true if we bring the pressure we beat anyone but can it last? Is this our 2006?
    We can also lose to anyone it we aren't on our game, which we'll have plenty of opportunities to disprove with our draw straight after the bye.

6. Likes Greystache liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    We can also lose to anyone it we aren't on our game, which we'll have plenty of opportunities to disprove with our draw straight after the bye.
    Good point, given our young list we need to accept fluctuations in form from mental and physical fatigue. We are susceptible to fade outs late and a bit of switch flicking. I'd agree that we have a better list than we did in 2006 but we have a bigger gap in experience as well.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

We're good for now until we lose to Carlton or GCS and then we'll be awful then we'll beat WCE in Perth and we'll be good again.

9. Likes azabob, Twodogs, firstdogonthemoon, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's hard for us to accept but we are just about the youngest most inexperienced side in the comp.
    That just spells inconsistency.

Just remember that our young and inexperienced players are cutting their teeth against the best in the AFL and beating them and we have quite a few kids in the VFL that are very raw but they are also flying the flag.
    With so many of last years VFL winning team now playing AFL, you would of expected Footscray to drop back quite a bit this year, but they are being held up by McLean, Daniel, Hamling, Hamilton, Dale, etc that have all performed very strongly for first year players. Our depth is looking the potential envy of the competition in a lot of areas.
    The coach is sending the right messages and the players are responding, it's now just the waiting game.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to believe what we've achieved so far after such a tumultuous off season.. The best illustration of this is Dale Morris. Who would have thought that we would be in a position where 1. Our defence has stood up brilliantly without him and 2. He is not necessarily an automatic inclusion when he is fit and ready.

Absolutely no disrespect to Dale and I'm sure he will get through to 200 games but to even have to consider this scenario is pretty amazing. I think the improvement in our young defenders increases the likelihood that he may call it quits at the end of the year. He's such a selfless clubman I can imagine him stepping aside so as not to block the progress of his younger teammates.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

12. Likes GVGjr, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Libba might struggle to squeeze back in if we win the flag

14. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Every team we've beaten is above us on the ladder.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah really positive aspect of our wins. As Sedat implies though all the teams we've lost to are below us on the ladder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    That's a bad sign for this week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Yeah really positive aspect of our wins. As Sedat implies though all the teams we've lost to are below us on the ladder.
    Well, half of them are but the sentiment is correct. There's no glory in being mirror universe flat track bullies, we should be burying teams like Melbourne and St Kilda if we can do it to actual good sides.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Having played 7 of the top 8 - in the first 9 rounds - it is an excellent effort to be 5-4. Obviously two notable missed opportunities - but we also won two close ones (Sydney & West Coast) to go some way to evening things out.

The season, in terms of taking our chances to play finals, will be largely determined by our 4 games after the bye. Lions/Saints/Blues/Suns. Win all four - and even if we don't beat Port - we would be at 9 wins - with eight games left in the season.

Winning those games (that we should be winning) brings with it the confidence for the more 50/50 games that follow v Cats, Pies, Bombers & Demons.

Post Thanks / Like

Of the remaining 12 games, we only play two above us.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Same as Carlton.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

22. Likes N/A, ratsmac, F'scary liked this post