Re: We're good again

Quote Originally Posted by craigsahibee View Post
    Same as Carlton.
    And Gold Coast
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Every team we've beaten is above us on the ladder.
    It's a September style of play that will stand up if we're on. I'm pleasantly surprised by Saturday, I thought they'd touch us up with their speed and ball movement and am glad to be proven wrong.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not surprised we won Saturday, but surprised we're ahead of the ledger.
    It's going to be a roller coaster ride in consistency, as it is for GWS and the other young teams
    Being a young side isn't an excuse for being inconsistent it's just reality .

Post Thanks / Like

After such a great win I listened to a fair bit of discussion about our team on the radio, and a few esteemed judges noted that we have a game plan that is likely to stand up under finals pressure (unlike the downhill skiiers from GWS). And having beaten 5 of the top 8 (with an honourable loss to Fremantle) augurs well for the future.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Still not convinced but if we could iron out our goal kicking I might be.

Young key position players in Boyd, Roberts and Talia standing up or not will make or break us.

Post Thanks / Like

It's that kind of season I feel will have. Will be dissapointed some weeks and very happy other weeks. Love our running attacking style game plan but that is difficult to maintain and Bevo might need to have another game plan. We need to slow it down better when the attacking play is used on us.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

When we are good, we are very, very good and when we are bad we are pretty ordinary. That being said, of the games we lost I was more disturbed by the capitulation to Melbourne and the brain-fade out against the Saints than the loss to Hawthorn. The Freo game was one that got away. Overall, we are a fair bit ahead of where we were last season but, like a lot of Forum members, I am wanting to see us string a few wins together: when we perform consistently and convincingly over a period of time THEN i will be fully convinced that we are well along the road to building a team that, given the breaks with injuries, can become a serious contender. Until that time I'm going to suspend my judgement. Beating Port Adelaide away will go a long way to convincing me that we really ARE going places and those places are all a long way north of where we've been wallowing for too long.

Post Thanks / Like

We gotta learn to win when we go in as warm favourites.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

9. Likes Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flamethrower View Post
    After such a great win I listened to a fair bit of discussion about our team on the radio, and a few esteemed judges noted that we have a game plan that is likely to stand up under finals pressure (unlike the downhill skiiers from GWS). And having beaten 5 of the top 8 (with an honourable loss to Fremantle) augurs well for the future.
    Speaking of discussion on the radio. There was an excellent interview with Bevo, pre game on Saturday (a few hours before the game) on ABC Grandstand that went for about half an hour. Its on the Audioboom app - and well worth a listen. Some of the areas have been covered by Bevo before in other interviews, but overall it was very good to hear about his coaching philosophies and lessons learnt so far.

11. Likes Raw Toast, kruder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When the bodies of our players are right, we've shown we can match it with anyone (bar Hawthorn but the Freo performance makes up for that I think). However, not only are inconsistent performances from inexperienced players to be expected, but I don't think we can back up after physically being smashed (and also physically smashing) the likes of Freo and the Swans.

Fortunately, most of our opponents aren't going to hit us as hard as those two did, and we have the bye coming up. Unfortunately, less experienced bodies tire as the season progresses, though Bevo looks like he's becoming a bit more pro-active in resting the youngsters and we seem to have good (if also very young) depth.

When we're too tired or just a bit off our game for another reason, we look sloppy in attack and our defensive structures break down enough for the opposition to slice through us almost at will. You'd have to think that will happen a few more times this season, but we also have plenty of improvement in us as well, so here's hoping that we can go further than in 2006
    Although it broke our hearts it did not break our will

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Hard to believe what we've achieved so far after such a tumultuous off season.. The best illustration of this is Dale Morris. Who would have thought that we would be in a position where 1. Our defence has stood up brilliantly without him and 2. He is not necessarily an automatic inclusion when he is fit and ready.

Absolutely no disrespect to Dale and I'm sure he will get through to 200 games but to even have to consider this scenario is pretty amazing. I think the improvement in our young defenders increases the likelihood that he may call it quits at the end of the year. He's such a selfless clubman I can imagine him stepping aside so as not to block the progress of his younger teammates.
    Morris must be thinking - great, just as Im about to retire, we suddenly discover 'team defence'

14. Likes comrade, Drunken Bum, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a few issues stand out to me as being major areas we need to fix before we have a game or list that can stand up to finals pressure.

Goal kicking accuracy, outside pace (both offencive and deffencive) and genuine small defencive cover are areas that require immediate attention for mine. I can see in years to come us being belted by outside run on which small forwards can capitalise, and unfortunate small to medium sized defenders who are mid-paced having to cope with quick transition out of our forward line after a point. It's a nightmare waiting to happen.

It's great some commentators are this week suggesting we have a game that can stand up to finals pressure. I for one am not going to pay attention to that sort of thing for a while. The same commentators were talking up the Roos as premiership contenders after one or two performances last year and this year, and they'll do it again prior to the year being done with.

Post Thanks / Like

We will be better than good make no mistake. For Bevo to implement team defence and to get the players to buy into the manic pressure within 6 months has been amazing. Add that to the significant improvement from our fringe players,list management over the past 5 years and having Murphy help steer the ship we are in the best shape than we have ever been.

Post Thanks / Like

We're going to finish the season on 13 wins but miss out on finals on percentage to our nemesis Adelaide Crow eaters.
    I've just done the AFL ladder predictor. Collingwood will finish 10th below us, Richmond 12th. 5th GWS, 6th Port, 7th Norf.

http://www.afl.com.au/ladder/ladder-predictor
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    We're going to finish the season on 13 wins but miss out on finals on percentage to our nemesis Adelaide Crow eaters.
    I've just done the AFL ladder predictor. Collingwood will finish 10th below us, Richmond 12th. 5th GWS, 6th Port, 7th Norf.

http://www.afl.com.au/ladder/ladder-predictor

I can't do it! Augggggghhhh!
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite