Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 1 of 25 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Booing Adam Goodes.

Watching the GC/Syd game yesterday I see Goodesy was copping a lot of heat from the home fans. Have I missed something here, why are they(and a few other teams fans) booing him?
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

As a person with Aboriginal heritage I'd have to say that Waleed Aly has provided the best summary I've heard.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBu735nFYw
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

It's pretty sad to see.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Mindless sheep chef.

5. Likes chef, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for Adam Goodes.

I think he's a dirty (albeit very good) player that has a lot of his nasty tactics glossed over because of his success as a player.

That being said, I can't understand why people boo him. I think it's become some kind of circlejerk to do it. Honestly, it's some kind of bullying, and I don't like it. It's distasteful. Maybe I'm naive and I just hope it isn't racial because I just can't understand why anybody cares about anybody else's race. It's irrelevant.

It takes actual energy and effort to boo players, and quite frankly, I'd rather save any vocalising effort for supporting our players.
    "It's over. It's all over."

7. Likes Ghost Dog, The bulldog tragician liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Booing any player isnt something that I do. I get why Goodes might grate some people but like just about every other player on the field, he doesn't deserve to be booed.

In this instance i think the GC supporters are following the lead of others.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Booing any player isnt something that I do. I get why Goodes might grate some people but like just about every other player on the field, he doesn't deserve to be booed.

In this instance i think the GC supporters are following the lead of others.
    Especially in this case. What has Goodes done to the GCS? I don't care for the guy myself but I wouldn't go out of my way to boo him. What's the point? Is he going to hear me and think "oh no, Twodogs doesn't like me, where to from here?"
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

10. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get this indignation towards booing. It has been part of the game since day dot, it is not exclusive to Goodes nor any player or group of players. Like it or not it is part of sport, and not just AFL. I hate to give him credit but last week Dermie summed it up for me, basically saying you pay your money, you can express yourself at the footy. So long as you're not being racist, simply booing someone is fine by me. I booed Griffen, I'll boo others if I wish to. I don't like Goodes as I think he is a self absorbed, narcissistic person with a chip on his shoulder. IMO he has done little to unite people, and more to antagonise. That's my opinion, I can express it via booing should I wish to do so.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

12. Thanks Maddog37, ratsmac thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I really don't get this indignation towards booing. It has been part of the game since day dot, it is not exclusive to Goodes nor any player or group of players. Like it or not it is part of sport, and not just AFL. I hate to give him credit but last week Dermie summed it up for me, basically saying you pay your money, you can express yourself at the footy. So long as you're not being racist, simply booing someone is fine by me. I booed Griffen, I'll boo others if I wish to. I don't like Goodes as I think he is a self absorbed, narcissistic person with a chip on his shoulder. IMO he has done little to unite people, and more to antagonise. That's my opinion, I can express it via booing should I wish to do so.
    What reason do GC fans for booing Goodes?

I can't think of any. I don't mind booing when there's a reason, but just doing because everyone else is doing is just stupid.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I should clarify that I don't mind people booing to voice their displeasure. It is part of the game, though I don't bother with it for aforementioned reasons.

But if someone whacks one of our players at a game, or an umpire makes a terrible call, then I understand why people would boo for that game. In a lot of ways it can be funny.

But I am concerned about the systemic "let's boo Adam Goodes because it's now a thing". I just don't like the mentality behind it.
    "It's over. It's all over."

15. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    What reason do GC fans for booing Goodes?

I can't think of any. I don't mind booing when there's a reason, but just doing because everyone else is doing is just stupid.
    Maybe they too think he is a self absorbed antagonist crybaby with a chip on his shoulder? I think if we spend time analysing everything like this it takes the passion out of the game. It is a passionate game, people are entitled to their say.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they too think he is a self absorbed antagonist crybaby with a chip on his shoulder? I think if we spend time analysing everything like this it takes the passion out of the game. It is a passionate game, people are entitled to their say.
    Whats he done to be a self absorbed antagonist crybaby with a chip on his shoulder?
    The curse is dead.

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    But I am concerned about the systemic "let's boo Adam Goodes because it's now a thing". I just don't like the mentality behind it.
    It shows how ignorant a lot of people are I think.
    The curse is dead.

20. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand and I don't like it. As other's have alluded to I can cop booing at something during the course of the game eg poor umpiring; dirty play etc but for Goodesy to cop that every week is a sad indictment on the game. He may be polarizing figure for some but he does not deserve that treatment week in week out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Whats he done to be a self absorbed antagonist crybaby with a chip on his shoulder?
    There you go analysing things! ... FWIW, I found the 'war dance' episode last week completely antagonistic. I thought its biggest achievement wasn't to unite but to divide, and I felt it to be all about Adam Goodes, not indigenous people per se. I felt his attack on that 13 year old child to be completely unnecessary, and his labelling her as "the face of racism" was an appalling lack of empathy and forethought. The theatrical pointing her out, then leaving the game because of her, was disgusting. I just get the feeling of the chip on his shoulder whenever I hear him speak. His indignation at the booing shows this, like booing is only done to him. No, Adam, it's as old as the game itself.