Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 12 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

That could possibly be First Dog's best work ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    I think the problem is people are just booing him because everyone else is, the majority dont even know why they are doing it. Herd mentality.

I dont think anyone here is saying if you boo him you're a racist.
    I asked that very question after the GWS fans booed him because they really had no good reason to do so.

I don't believe booing him is racially motivated by the vast majority but the booing has somehow become a Mexican wave group type response.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    To the extent this is now happening to Adam Goodes it's clearly a form of bullying and as such the freedom for people to 'express themselves as they see fit' is now at best highly questionable. And as a side note very few people would have the fortitude to boo him to his face so it's really not an issue of expressing themselves as they see fit, more it's just about the freedom of doing it at a safe distance.
    The same could be said for expressing any form of disapproval in the sporting arena. If the yardstick was "Only make comment/boo/cheer if you'd be willing to do it to the person's face" then arenas would have to be silent. As for the bullying thing, I may just be old school, but I think that's a bit rich. I know it isn't just your argument though. Agree to disagree.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    . I have lost count of the number of times I've now heard it suggested that he should apologise to the 13 year old who shouted out the 'ape' comment. HE should apologise? Talk about blaming the victim. Congratulations, we have managed to turn this incident around 180 degrees and it's now all Goodes' fault he was abused. Baffling.
    He took umbrage at a comment made by a 13 year old child, and his chosen response was to have her ejected from the stadium and publicly humiliated in front of thousands, and countless others through the resultant media coverage. I had massive problems with that then, and I do now. The way he dealt with that incident was completely inappropriate, IMO.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Could you honestly say hand on heart that there isn't a skerrick of racism in some re. goodes
    In some, I'm sure there is. My objection is more the fact that the assumption is madepeople seem to be able to read other's minds regarding their motives. Therefore thousands (or millions) are tarred with the same brush, which is very unfair. We are told "It's racism". That, I strongly object to. I don't like Goodes; that does not make me racist.

Post Thanks / Like

I must be in the minority as I like Adam and admire him for his convictions

9. Likes chef, Scraggers, merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I must be in the minority as I like Adam and admire him for his convictions
    Something about the majority advising the minority about the best way to react when racially vilified...anyways, it is a footy forum so I will stop there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    In some, I'm sure there is. My objection is more the fact that the assumption is madepeople seem to be able to read other's minds regarding their motives. Therefore thousands (or millions) are tarred with the same brush, which is very unfair. We are told "It's racism". That, I strongly object to. I don't like Goodes; that does not make me racist.
    No there not . The general consensus is that it's a myriad of reasons, and if a few have racial undertones ,it's a few to many .
    How on earth would he know the age of the girl? He pointed out someone who made an insulting racial slur, and had no control on channel 7's saturation of the moment. He met the young girl the next day, and if she never says or knows how much that comment hurt, then it's a great learning experience .

12. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He took umbrage at a comment made by a 13 year old child, and his chosen response was to have her ejected from the stadium and publicly humiliated in front of thousands, and countless others through the resultant media coverage. I had massive problems with that then, and I do now. The way he dealt with that incident was completely inappropriate, IMO.
    He pointed the girl out .
    Don't rewrite history

14. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't rewrite history
    Pardon? He pointed her out to security. In front of thousands present, and by virtue of the media present, countless others. She was 13 years old. What part of that isn't true?

Post Thanks / Like

How on earth would he know the age of the girl? He pointed out someone who made an insulting racial slur, and had no control on channel 7's saturation of the moment. He met the young girl the next day, and if she never says or knows how much that comment hurt, then it's a great learning experience .
    He said he believed she was 14, so he obviously had a pretty good idea. He knew it wasn't just 'someone', but a child.
    Learning by humiliation...an abhorrent approach.

Post Thanks / Like

He said he believed she was 14, so he obviously had a pretty good idea. He knew it wasn't just 'someone', but a child.
    Learning by humiliation...an abhorrent approach.
    Aren't the people booing Goodes trying to humiliate him because they don't agree with some of the things he has done or said?
    And they are doing it every time he goes near the ball, every game he plays and have done so for an extended period.

To me people are trying to latch on to some isolated and spur of the moment actions by Goodes as a way of justifying their own behaviour.

The club has it right, be loud, be fair.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

18. Thanks Ozza thanked for this post
    Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't rewrite history
    And he did the right thing.
    The curse is dead.

20. Likes merantau liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's simplify it down to this because there are so many opinions out there it's dizzying.

In you heart of hearts......... Even if you think you have a right to do it, or a reason to do it..........

It has now gone beyond a bit of fun at the football.

Is it right to keep booing Adam Goodes every time he goes near the ball. Booing him so much he quits playing AFL.

Yes or no.

I say no.

22. Thanks Ozza, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes whythelongface, Mofra, merantau liked this post