Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    I really don't get this indignation towards booing. It has been part of the game since day dot, it is not exclusive to Goodes nor any player or group of players. Like it or not it is part of sport, and not just AFL. I hate to give him credit but last week Dermie summed it up for me, basically saying you pay your money, you can express yourself at the footy. So long as you're not being racist, simply booing someone is fine by me. I booed Griffen, I'll boo others if I wish to. I don't like Goodes as I think he is a self absorbed, narcissistic person with a chip on his shoulder. IMO he has done little to unite people, and more to antagonise. That's my opinion, I can express it via booing should I wish to do so.
    I dont agree and I think your logic is flawed. Booing was done because certain players were guilty of repetitive dirty acts on the field.
    Now its done for a variety of other reasons not necessarily footy related.
    I think many people have now embraced it because it's the done thing on the shows like the wrestling. In the manner its often done now it just lacks class.

Each to their own but its cheers more than jeers for me. Id need a better reason than many are offering up with Goodes.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

2. Likes chef, 1eyedog, Happy Days liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't get this indignation towards booing. It has been part of the game since day dot, it is not exclusive to Goodes nor any player or group of players. Like it or not it is part of sport, and not just AFL. I hate to give him credit but last week Dermie summed it up for me, basically saying you pay your money, you can express yourself at the footy. So long as you're not being racist, simply booing someone is fine by me. I booed Griffen, I'll boo others if I wish to. I don't like Goodes as I think he is a self absorbed, narcissistic person with a chip on his shoulder. IMO he has done little to unite people, and more to antagonise. That's my opinion, I can express it via booing should I wish to do so.
    Not sure you're in a position to comment on whether he has united Aboriginal people or not, sure you're entitled to your opinion on whether this is true or not, but it would be a pretty uneducated and Eurocentric one.

I would be interested to hear why you don't think he has united his people, but this board is not a suitable medium for such a discussion. If you had of said he has not contributed to real reconciliation in this country then you may have a point.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think your logic is flawed.
    Where? The history of booing is actually greater than our game, it goes back to Roman gladiator games. It was done to voice displeasure, poor performances, or simply to vent. And it still is.

I think many people have now embraced it because it's the done thing on the shows like the wrestling. In the manner its often done now it just lacks class.
    Completely disagree but as you say, to each their own. I'd hate for the experience of going to the footy to be so sanitised that people weren't free to express their opinions, afraid of being perceived as having no class. I've offered my reasons, no one has to agree but people do have a right to express themselves.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I dont agree and I think your logic is flawed. Booing was done because certain players were guilty of repetitive dirty acts on the field.
    Now its done for a variety of other reasons not necessarily footy related

Each to their own but its cheers more than jeers for me. Id need a better reason than many are offering up with Goodes.
    Nathan Buckley was booed incessantly by opposition supporters throughout much of his career and he was a highly skilled and fair player.

Assuming racism is not at the heart of the booing that Adam is now facing maybe it stems from a similar place to what motivated so many to jeer Buckley.

Post Thanks / Like

There you go analysing things! ... FWIW, I found the 'war dance' episode last week completely antagonistic. I thought its biggest achievement wasn't to unite but to divide, and I felt it to be all about Adam Goodes, not indigenous people per se. I felt his attack on that 13 year old child to be completely unnecessary, and his labelling her as "the face of racism" was an appalling lack of empathy and forethought. The theatrical pointing her out, then leaving the game because of her, was disgusting. I just get the feeling of the chip on his shoulder whenever I hear him speak. His indignation at the booing shows this, like booing is only done to him. No, Adam, it's as old as the game itself.
    But isn't the ignorant face of racism in this country perfectly represented by a 13 year old girl who doesn't know why calling an indigenous person an ape is so offensive? I absolutely agreed with his comments, and I think it's important that Goodes himself called for her to be supported.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-2...-blame/4712772

Goodes critics are very selective with the bits and pieces of history they choose to associate with him.

I don't know what it's like to be the subject of racist taunts. I don't know how it feels to point someone out for labeling me an ape, knowing I'm going to wear a barrage of criticism for it from some quarters of society. I don't know how I'd react, or whether I'd be interested in sticking around to dwell on it after it happened.

7. Likes chef, hujsh, Remi Moses, anfo27, ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Not sure you're in a position to comment on whether he has united Aboriginal people or not, sure you're entitled to your opinion on whether this is true or not, but it would be a pretty uneducated and Eurocentric one.

I would be interested to hear why you don't think he has united his people, but this board is not a suitable medium for such a discussion. If you had of said he has not contributed to real reconciliation in this country then you may have a point.
    I was talking about uniting all of Australia, not the indigenous people. I don't purport to know what indigenous Australians think, though I do know at least a couple who are put off by him. And no, I'm not "uneducated".
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about uniting all of Australia, not the indigenous people. I don't purport to know what indigenous Australians think, though I do know at least a couple who are put off by him. And no, I'm not "uneducated".
    Fair enough, I misunderstood when you said that he had done little to unite his people.
    I've been reading this forum long enough to know you're not uneducated Andrew
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

10. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    Nathan Buckley was booed incessantly by opposition supporters throughout much of his career and he was a highly skilled and fair player.

Assuming racism is not at the heart of the booing that Adam is now facing maybe it stems from a similar place to what motivated so many to jeer Buckley.
    Tall poppy and many rated him as getting too many easy kicks in the back half. Did he deserved to be booed? People judged him on his perceived arrogance and the FIGJAM moniker stuck with him. I didnt like him that much but booing him would have been a couple of steps too far.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tall poppy and many rated him as getting too many easy kicks in the back half. Did he deserved to be booed? People judged him on his perceived arrogance and the FIGJAM moniker stuck with him. I didnt like him that much but booing him would have been a couple of steps too far.
    I boo every Collingwood player, not really, but the Collingwood captain should expect the brunt of opposition barrages.

Post Thanks / Like

I boo every Collingwood player, not really, but the Collingwood captain should expect the brunt of opposition barrages.
    Nick Maxwell didn't really cop it that much.
    Last edited by Ghost Dog; 07-06-2015 at 03:46 PM.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

As a person with Aboriginal heritage I'd have to say that Waleed Aly has provided the best summary I've heard.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBu735nFYw
    For me, it's not to do with his aboriginal heritage. He gets protection from the umps, and sooks, dives etc.

https://youtu.be/KjJtg-GAE9k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wloMkKUwNHI
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    But isn't the ignorant face of racism in this country perfectly represented by a 13 year old girl who doesn't know why calling an indigenous person an ape is so offensive? I absolutely agreed with his comments, and I think it's important that Goodes himself called for her to be supported.
    It's kind of like when people didn't understand why the blackface thing on Hey Hey It's Saturday was so offensive. It may not be intended to be racist but being ignorant to these things can lead to people accidentally really hurting others. You can also pick things up from your parents or the community and if no one points out how wrong the saying/insult/word etc is you'll never really know what the impact of what you say is going to be.

People feel the wardance was divisive and in isolation maybe it was. I don't mean to compare the two in terms of significance but I'm sure Winmar pointing at the colour of his skin was divisive as well. I think we've become a better society for it. I don't know if Goodes' wardace will have the same impact because racism today is so different and much harder to identify/stamp out than it once was.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    That's no worse than I've seen from pretty much every gun in the league at one stage or another.

I've seen Hodge do it, I've also seen Hodge elbow people and hit people in the face. Shall we boo him to the extent that we boo Adam Goodes?

18. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That's no worse than I've seen from pretty much every gun in the league at one stage or another.

I've seen Hodge do it, I've also seen Hodge elbow people and hit people in the face. Shall we boo him to the extent that we boo Adam Goodes?
    I've never seen Luke Hodge do that.
    If Liam Picken was made Australian of the year tomorrow, and began championing a human rights cause, he would probably be booed as well if he dove around and complained to the umpires all the time. It's just good old Australian tall poppy syndrome, mixed in with tribalism, and sheep following sheep.

Post Thanks / Like

But isn't the ignorant face of racism in this country perfectly represented by a 13 year old girl who doesn't know why calling an indigenous person an ape is so offensive?
    No it isn't. A child's brain, impulse control and ability to reason are not fully developed at 13. In fact, some say that doesn't happen until the mid 20s. Expecting a 13 year old to be able to make decisions that some people twice her age can't/don't make is not only unfair, but physiologically unlikely. That is likely why she said she didn't even know it was racist. Goodes' (and many others, it must be said) publicly shaming her was abhorrent. It's also unfair to blame a child for the wrongdoing of adults she cannot possibly be responsible for.

21. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post