Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Seriously?

Players have been celebrating more aggressive than that towards opposition supporters for years.

People are carrying on like he's Eric Cantona when all he did was a little dance.
    Chef, can't believe the attitude of some people on this. It is basically a non-issue, fuelled by media because they have nothing better to do.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    The State Government's Bridging The Gap policy is not closing the Gap. Goodwill gestures like Reconciliation Action Plans are not helping with reconciliation. Young Aboriginal children are being abused in communities and the have not recovered from closure / forced removal from country. We have come a long way with regards to Aboriginal rights in this country but it far from equal, and Aboriginal people are coming from a long way back. Funding is limited and decisions are made by the Government or by Government appointed Aboriginal people who cannot speak for all parts of the country. It's not working and Aboriginal society in many ways is going backwards.

The voice is not being heard. Adam Goodes is a board member of Supply Nation so he sees first hand how disadvantaged his people are. His dance was as much for his people as it was to the boos of opposition fans. I repeat, the Aboriginal voice(s) is not being heard and it is left to the few, high profile Aboriginal people in this country to rekindle the debate. The only way to do this is to get everyone talking about it and that is what he has done, even to the detriment of his relationship with white middle Australia. He'll be remembered fondly by Aboriginal people in this country, and in the end that is all he and the communities are really focused on at the moment.
    Here Here. White Australia should be ashamed of themselves. Only one group has the right to say Claim back Australia.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I know my opinion is not shared by many others and they have their opinions and that's cool but that opinion, if it is a white opinion, is just another Eurocentric view. There are far greater, far reaching implications for what Goodes did and you really need to be an Aboriginal person to understand it IMO. I may be off the mark with this but I'm putting forward one more opinion of many I've read on this thread.

I'm not sure I agree with how Goodes went about this and I do think his spear throw was provocative, but that was his approach and he is living with the repercussions of that. It wasn't at the Carlton cheer squad they were just the face of a much larger audience, it was thrown right into the heart of middle Australia and a conservative Government in particular, and that is where the biggest back lash has come from. It was controversial and certainly did Goodes more harm than good within middle Australia but he has re-opened an important debate around Aboriginal disadvantage, land rights, the closure of communities and the gap in Aboriginal health. Every social media platform is now discussing these social justice issues and that was the intent of the spear throw and that is why he chose Indigenous round to do it. He is a leader of his people and he will go down as one of the most important Aboriginal leaders in recent memory, whether you agree with this or like it or not is inconsequential.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

5. Likes Murphy'sLore, Twodogs, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wait so an invisible boomerang is ok but words are not??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Have a think about that for a moment. If that's good for Adam, we therefore must allow others to do their 'war dances', anytime they please at any point in a game. Muslims, Pacific Islanders, or whoever. And they can direct these dances at the crowd. Do you really think this is a good idea?

In all of this, the Bulldogs have been great. Why? Mainstream ( White ) Australian culture suffers from an acute identity crisis. The risk is they can avoid the work needed to do something about this by pointing the finger at others ( Reclaim Australia gah ).
    Western Bulldogs come out and say, Be Loud, Be fair. Be fair, yes. I'm in China right now and I can tell you this is certainly a value we need to cherish, because it simply does not exist in other countries - a sense that we must be fair. Our club is showing us the way forward. The loudness and boorishness can be turned into a strength. The idea of a fair go, which we have to keep working at.

Speaking of fairness, I can't believe I have to barrack for Adelaide this Friday. Surely there must be another way
    I'm really struggling to understand this post from a context or reasoning perspective.

If however, players from the nationalities and or religions you mention feel they are being racially abused through booing then I give them full permission to throw invisible traditional hunting implements at the area of the crowd from which the booing is coming from, only after a dance of course.