Thanks Thanks:  37
Likes Likes:  328
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Booing Adam Goodes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    No it isn't. A child's brain, impulse control and ability to reason are not fully developed at 13. In fact, some say that doesn't happen until the mid 20s. Expecting a 13 year old to be able to make decisions that some people twice her age can't/don't make is not only unfair, but physiologically impossible. That is likely why she said she didn't even know it was racist. Goodes' (and many others, it must be said) publicly shaming her was abhorrent. It's also unfair to blame a child for the wrongdoing of adults she cannot possibly be responsible for.
    What you say about the brain is correct. You sometimes lack empathy and the ability to think through the potential consequences of your decisions. However you can't combine that and ignorance as a defence. Either she didn't know it was racist or she made an impulsive decision to call Goodes an ape despite knowing it was wrong because she lacks the maturity to make a sound decision.

I also think your bar for sound decision making for a 13 year old is low. Plenty of idiots in their 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s who make decisions you would not expect a 13 year old to make.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=hujsh;441513]What you say about the brain is correct. You sometimes lack empathy and the ability to think through the potential consequences of your decisions. However you can't combine that and ignorance as a defence. Either she didn't know it was racist or she made an impulsive decision to call Goodes an ape despite knowing it was wrong because she lacks the maturity to make a sound decision.[\QUOTE]
    Either way could be correct. FWIW, she said she didn't know it was wrong, and was immediately criticised. That is abhorrent, so too the public shaming of her.

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    I also think your bar for sound decision making for a 13 year old is low. Plenty of idiots in their 20s 30s 40s 50s 60s 70s 80s and 90s who make decisions you would not expect a 13 year old to make.
    Maybe so, but we shouldn't publicly criticise her simply because she made one comment. I work with children, and I have expectations for their behaviour choices. I also understand that sometimes they will make wrong choices. Goodes obviously doesn't have a clue about that.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    I've never seen Luke Hodge do that.
    If Liam Picken was made Australian of the year tomorrow, and began championing a human rights cause, he would probably be booed as well if he dove around and complained to the umpires all the time. It's just good old Australian tall poppy syndrome, mixed in with tribalism, and sheep following sheep.
    If anyone should have been booed it was Luke Hodge for his forearm to the face of Andrew Swallow. He is perceived as a tough player but there was nothing tough with that action. If Goodes or any player plays for frees then the umpires are the problem more so than the players.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

4. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    If anyone should have been booed it was Luke Hodge for his forearm to the face of Andrew Swallow. He is perceived as a tough player but there was nothing tough with that action. If Goodes or any player plays for frees then the umpires are the problem more so than the players.
    I agree, but unfortunately and I don't like it, but someone who dives is seen as being infinitely more villainous than a player who gives someone a whack. It's crazy when you think about it, because you can blind or or even kill someone with an elbow to the head.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

No it isn't. A child's brain, impulse control and ability to reason are not fully developed at 13. In fact, some say that doesn't happen until the mid 20s. Expecting a 13 year old to be able to make decisions that some people twice her age can't/don't make is not only unfair, but physiologically unlikely. That is likely why she said she didn't even know it was racist. Goodes' (and many others, it must be said) publicly shaming her was abhorrent. It's also unfair to blame a child for the wrongdoing of adults she cannot possibly be responsible for.
    This is the point, her behaviours were learned and she was ignorant to the level of offence they can cause. Hence, being the ignorant face of racism in Australia. By saying she is the face of racism in Australia, Goodes is suggesting that racist learned behaviours are ingrained early into the psyche of our youth when behaviours that reflect inclusiveness and tolerance should.

That's how I read it, and we don't have to agree

7. Likes hujsh, Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He gets booed because he poses questions Australians don't like hearing
    As for the dance, what would Australians know about Aboriginal culture and heritage ?
    It's only recently we've started being educated on their culture and history
    It was only 20 years ago when the public consensus was what happens on the field stays on the field .
    If they boo someone for diving people are going to be voiceless

Post Thanks / Like

Either way could be correct. FWIW, she said she didn't know it was wrong, and was immediately criticised. That is abhorrent, so too the public shaming of her.

Maybe so, but we shouldn't publicly criticise her simply because she made one comment. I work with children, and I have expectations for their behaviour choices. I also understand that sometimes they will make wrong choices. Goodes obviously doesn't have a clue about that.
    I agree with Jeemak that Goodes wasn't trying to publicly shame an individual but highlight an issue in society. I very much doubt he meant "this specific individual girl is the aspect of racism" but rather "the face of racism in modern Australia is a 13 year old white girl calling an Aboriginal person an ape and not knowing why it's offensive".

Post Thanks / Like

There's no way known that Goodes knew how old the girl was.
    Don't think he has any control on the media frenzy that then took place either.
    Good think was a young girl knows it's the wrong thing to say, and is educated.
    Nothing said, and she thinks it's okay to call someone an ape.

11. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    There's no way known that Goodes knew how old the girl was.
    Don't think he has any control on the media frenzy that then took place either.
    Good think was a young girl knows it's the wrong thing to say, and is educated.
    Nothing said, and she thinks it's okay to call someone an ape.
    He commented in an interview after the incident that his initial thought (at the time of the incident, not after giving it some thought) was it was a "14 year old girl"...So clearly, he did know. And he still thought it was OK to publicly embarrass her. He also said he didn't blame her - well, calling for security in a sporting arena with thousands of people in attendance, TV cameras, photographers, it's hard to see any good coming out of that. Embarrassment as education was out of favour decades ago. He doesn't control the media, but his words and actions can most definitely influence they way they report things.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What an excellent point you've made.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

He commented in an interview after the incident that his initial thought (at the time of the incident, not after giving it some thought) was it was a "14 year old girl"...So clearly, he did know. And he still thought it was OK to publicly embarrass her. He also said he didn't blame her - well, calling for security in a sporting arena with thousands of people in attendance, TV cameras, photographers, it's hard to see any good coming out of that. Embarrassment as education was out of favour decades ago. He doesn't control the media, but his words and actions can most definitely influence they way they report things.
    What is sad is this 14 year old has learnt from an adult to make comments like that.

I am afraid racism is alive and well in this country and around the world.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Likes chef, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So how should he have handled it? By just brushing it off and then making comments about it after the game?

Indigenous people have been brushing things off for long enough, and when they've complained they've not been supported.

I have a feeling if Goodes had have waited until after the game to mention he was abused by someone he thought was approximately 14 he'd have faced a huge amount of criticism.

17. Likes chef, bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So if Goodes says nothing the girl walks away thinking a racial comment at the footy is okay ?
    Goodes called the girl out and the rest snowballed .
    How on earth can that be contributed to Goodes? He calls the girl out and security does its job.

19. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    So if Goodes says nothing the girl walks away thinking a racial comment at the footy is okay ?
    Goodes called the girl out and the rest snowballed .
    How on earth can that be contributed to Goodes? He calls the girl out and security does its job.
    The girl didn't know she was making a racist comment. It can be attributed to Goodes because he chose to do it. I don't purport to know what racism feels like, I don't purport to know how it feels to be marginalised/ostracised/abused because of the colour of your skin. I do know that humiliating a child to make a point is wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Why wouldn't she know she's making s racial comment?
    The curse is dead.